Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Mongoose Traveller (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   OK. Sell Mongoose Traveller to me... (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=17213)

Allensh October 16th, 2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 285537)
I quite like the CGen, ship design, and Trade and Commerce. All three are very nicely done, and easily swapped into CT or MT.

I would agree that these are the best parts. I do like the combat system in general. even though the weapon damage and armor rules could use some tweaking. So far, they have caused no real issues in the games I have run.

Allen

anders lager October 18th, 2008 01:54 PM

Thanks you all for valuable input. Actually, I ordered the core rulebook the other day.

From my experiences with Mongoose RuneQuest I think this will be a nice reading :-D

And hopefully I will be able to scrape some players together for some gaming too...:)

ShapeShifter October 24th, 2008 11:30 PM

I've been toying with getting the Pocket Edition myself, but according to the MGP page for it, it looks as if its not out yet. For those who have/intend to get the PE, please let us know about the quality of printing/editing.

The reason I request this is because a few years ago I purchased the pocket edition of the Conan RPG rulebook and was shocked at the very poor editing done on it (repeated text, missing text, etc.).

Is there a thread here that goes into the crunchy details about what separates MGT from CT?

aramis October 25th, 2008 01:18 AM

Several, in fact. Most are riddled with complaints about it, however.

Essentially, only world generation is the same; everything else has mild to severe changes. (MT is actually mechanically as close.)

The feel, however, is fairly close to CT.

Icosahedron October 26th, 2008 08:53 AM

And world generation is one thing that could really do with revising.

Allensh October 26th, 2008 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icosahedron (Post 286360)
And world generation is one thing that could really do with revising.

This is pretty much true in CT as well. Unfortunatley, this stuff requires approvals...and even some minor changes to the UWP's in the Spinward Marches to make some of them conform to science a bit better were shot down...as well as the correction of a long-standing typo in a world name...by Marc.

So...probably not happening yet. The MGT rules do include a sidebar about adjustments you can make...but that's probably as good as it is going to get.

Allen

anders lager October 28th, 2008 09:38 AM

Got the core book yesterday :) I haven't had time to read it properly, but the first impression from a quick browse is clearly positive. Yes, it's got that "Traveller" feeling. Definitely!

infojunky November 6th, 2008 05:47 PM

Character Generation is a Hoot.... Do it with the entire group if possible, the conections bits make this a wonderful group building exercise.

The "advanced" character options in Mercenary and High Guard add detail, but don't over strip characters generated with just the basic book.

There are some typos... But nothing that will make the game unplayable as it stands.

Psion November 8th, 2008 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allensh (Post 285532)
There are some parts of MGT that are considered improvements on the original...most people I have seen comment on this feel that the character creation is an improvement.

I think chargen is a substantial improvement. The only caveat being that advanced education options are conspicuously absent.

Chargen puts just enough detail into backgrounds, adds character background linking and informed shoring up of skills to compensate for the random nature of chargen.

Echo November 16th, 2008 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psion (Post 288146)
The only caveat being that advanced education options are conspicuously absent.

Doesn't the advanced education option merely amount to taking a term in the Scholar career?