Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Adventurers (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   General Armor and Weapons As Mustering Out Benefits (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=39978)

infojunky April 22nd, 2019 07:58 PM

I generally let players have whatever they can imagine, but consider that a bunch of weapons are going to very difficult to get through customs on a lot of worlds (Read Roleplaying opportunities). Then couple that to the cost and availability of parts for maintenance and repair. Note advanced ammunition also falls into those categories as well.

Also note I tend to keep my games at a Knife and Pistol level of conflict, Where Shotguns and SMGs are the heavy weapons. Over the years some variation of Snub Pistols have been the most common weapons.

Condottiere April 22nd, 2019 11:30 PM

One benefit is that you don't have to locally source the equipment, possibly at inflated prices, from shady brokers, in regions where procurement is at best in a legally gray area.

Fovean April 23rd, 2019 02:19 AM

Never really saw the concern, but we’ve always played in Outland/Firefly type campaigns where rifles, pistols and knives were to be expected. But the heavier stuff we always steered away from, even for Army and Marine characters. Kept it special when every once in a while a VRF Gauss gun or a PGMP was in play.

infojunky April 23rd, 2019 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fovean (Post 601044)
Kept it special when every once in a while a VRF Gauss gun

That had to be one hell of a duffle bag to sneak out a VRF Gauss gun.... :devil:

McPerth April 23rd, 2019 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 601008)
I limit mustering out weapon benefits to LBB1 stuff only.

So you would not allow a Snub Pistol (IIRC it's a LBB4 weapon)?

I see it as one of the most used weapons by space crews (even comercial ones), due to its zero-G use and tranquilizers capacity...

Condottiere April 23rd, 2019 12:32 PM

I donno.

I'm beginning to doubt it's efficacy.

In game mechanic effects, it's slightly less effective than a Survivalist round, basically a twenty two long rifle, and apparently, our laws of war outlaw high explosive smallarms ammunition.

Quint April 23rd, 2019 12:58 PM

Honestly, I never really worried about it that much, kept the PGMPs and the FGMP's off limits, but didn't worry about much else.

D.

mike wightman April 23rd, 2019 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McPerth (Post 601052)
So you would not allow a Snub Pistol (IIRC it's a LBB4 weapon)?

Nope, if they want one they will have to buy one, and then only tranq rounds are available for civilian use. A normal revolver can be modified to fire snub tranq rounds easily enough IMTU.
I have recently adopted the Chiappa Rhino as the go to illustration for the revolver/snub pistol IMTU.

Quote:

I see it as one of the most used weapons by space crews (even comercial ones), due to its zero-G use and tranquilizers capacity...
The HE and HEAP are more likely to damage ship equipment than a revolver round, and how many merchant ship crews bother with zero g combat training for that matter.

McPerth April 23rd, 2019 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 601057)
The HE and HEAP are more likely to damage ship equipment than a revolver round, and how many merchant ship crews bother with zero g combat training for that matter.

Probably the same ones that bother about having weapons, as altering gravity is as much an anti-hijack toos as weapons may be...

whartung April 23rd, 2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whulorigan (Post 601025)
I suppose (depending on the ruleset you are using) the Gauss Rifle might have better armor penetration that an Assault Rifle or ACR.

30.06 is around 4,100 Joules. GR run about 4,500. Could modern Level III armor with ceramic inserts stop a GR? Dunno. Not sure it can stop an 30.06, honestly. More designed to thwart assault rifles.