Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Traveller 5 (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   T5 Status, 9/30/14 (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=33348)

DonM October 1st, 2014 12:59 AM

T5 Status, 9/30/14

First, a personal note... Marc asked me to do this weekly, and I've gotten very far behind.

On 7/22, I had gastric bypass surgery. Three years ago, I had a quadruple bypass, and I weighed 356 in July. Low energy, circulation problems, and numerous other diabetic and blood pressure issues.

Today, I've lost over 70 pounds, but (other than Asian foods) I have real trouble keeping food down. Food was a social activity for me, and now I don't know if what I eat will send me running out of the room. I've discovered a number of restaurants where I cannot go in, because the smell makes me sick.

So I'm VERY behind at the moment. And now working to catch up. IF you think there's something I missed that needs to be brought to my attention, my e-mail is don.mckinney@gmail.com.

First, you've all hopefully seen Imperiallines 6. The restart of Imperiallines is envisioned as both a method for explaining and refining T5, and for expanding the OTU. Rob's serving as editor, with lots of help.

Marc's working on the T5 combat update. He and I discussed that yesterday. I hope to have a new update for the reviewers by the start of next week.

Lots of activity with Mongoose, although I'm not in a position to make any of that public. It should be a good Traveller Christmas this year.

And I hope to have more info next Monday.

Ulsyus October 1st, 2014 06:40 AM

Thanks for the snippets Don :]

cwfrizzell October 1st, 2014 08:27 AM

Don,

If we've learned anything in the last 37 years, it's that Traveller is a lifelong work in progress. While we truly appreciate your dedication to Traveller and our community, please make sure you take care of YOU first. Traveller will officially evolve when it officially evolves.

Supplement Four October 1st, 2014 10:12 AM

Don,

I had my gallbladder removed a little over a year ago, and I've had a lot of problems eating. Evidently, with most patients, gallbladder removal is hardly noticed. I'm part of the lucky minority that experience digestion problems.

What I'm trying to say is that, I feel for you, man. Hang in there.

For me, with time, it's gotten better. I hope the same for you.

robject October 1st, 2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwfrizzell (Post 491572)
please make sure you take care of YOU first.

^ This. I find Don to be useful, a good person, not a whiner, assertive but not aggressive, handy to have on either side of an argument -- he knows the proper way to debate a topic is to understand both sides, and he doesn't take it personally.

It's more important for you to rest and recover, Don. Take that as advice from a cranky and nervous editor.

pendragonman October 1st, 2014 02:20 PM

A question to THE POWERS THAT BE:

Does this imply that the corrections/updates to T5 (such as fixing personal combat) are only going to be offered thru Imperiallines?

robject October 1st, 2014 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pendragonman (Post 491590)
A question to THE POWERS THAT BE:

Does this imply that the corrections/updates to T5 (such as fixing personal combat) are only going to be offered thru Imperiallines?

NO SIR. Imperiallines is a support-Traveller5-by-example thing. It's not even necessarily bound to the OTU.

Hemdian October 1st, 2014 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwfrizzell (Post 491572)
please make sure you take care of YOU first.

Seconded from me too.

It’s a fact that “s*** happens” and I’m just glad that DonM, et al, are still here. But given peoples’ ongoing RL time commitments and health issues and whatnot, and given the progress made todate, do the powers that be have any kind of a feel yet for when we might see the personal combat changes? Are we talking “before Christmas” or “by next year’s spring break” or what? (Just so I can maintain my own expectations.)

DonM October 1st, 2014 03:54 PM

Thanks to everyone who has expressed their good wishes. I've started with the basics (CT errata catchup)....

Quote:

Originally Posted by robject (Post 491595)
NO SIR. Imperiallines is a support-Traveller5-by-example thing. It's not even necessarily bound to the OTU.

And I cannot agree with Rob enough here. Imperiallines is not meant as a route for errata or rule updates. It's definitely a path for examples. And there will be some non-OTU examples of using the T5 rules as we work through them.

pendragonman October 1st, 2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robject (Post 491595)

AND

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonM (Post 491598)
Thanks to everyone who has expressed their good wishes. I've started with the basics (CT errata catchup)....

And I cannot agree with Rob enough here. Imperiallines is not meant as a route for errata or rule updates. It's definitely a path for examples. And there will be some non-OTU examples of using the T5 rules as we work through them.

Thank you, gentlemen. Consider me reassured.