Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Aramis' pbp (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   The Hiring - Chatter (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=31845)

aramis January 28th, 2014 05:47 PM

The Hiring - Chatter

Unless there's complaint otherwise, I'm going to fast forward to january and the actual "interviews"

Thanos January 28th, 2014 07:34 PM

Sounds like a plan.

McPerth January 29th, 2014 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thanos (Post 465315)
Sounds like a plan.

Agreed

SpaceBadger February 2nd, 2014 05:22 PM

I still have some reservations about the meshing of our playstyles, but I would like another game to play in, and have plenty of time on my hands. I promise that I will do my best to play in accordance with the way you GM. Maybe I will learn something. :D

Did you say that there will be some contingent of soldiers accompanying this exploration group? I would be happy to create a young officer - or NCO if possible with only one career term (Soldier's Companion suggests all NCOs are older soldiers in second career term).

What would be something that would fit into the game at this point in time, when interviews are already/almost completed? (That is one reason I was thinking military man still in uniform; no interview necessary, just gets assigned to the job.)

McPerth February 3rd, 2014 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 465907)
I still have some reservations about the meshing of our playstyles, but I would like another game to play in, and have plenty of time on my hands. I promise that I will do my best to play in accordance with the way you GM. Maybe I will learn something. :D

If my vote counts, wellcome aboard

aramis February 3rd, 2014 12:40 AM

Gunner #1 is yours, SB. (Not that he has to be a qualified gunner, but that's the official position being filled). A 1 career NCO is likely to be a corporal, lance sergeant, or sergeant. Colour or Staff, unlikely, (but if the battalion was nearly eliminated...).

SSM,CSM,RSM all would be second career. As would any other warrant.

He can either be just mustered into the reserves, or still on active {IIRC, in the 1880's, you still couldn't actually get out of the Royal Army (or its subordinated services - Royal Cavalry, Royal Arty, Royal Engineers) except by retiring, deserting, being dishonorably discharged, or being disabled}.

rancke February 3rd, 2014 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 465933)
Gunner #1 is yours, SB.

Oh, bad luck! In my gaming circle it's never a good omen to be the first goner (Indeed, the first gunner is normally an NPC with a penchant for wearing red).

Hans

aramis February 3rd, 2014 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rancke (Post 465935)
Oh, bad luck! In my gaming circle it's never a good omen to be the first goner (Indeed, the first gunner is normally an NPC with a penchant for wearing red).

Hans

Hey, it also means he gets some poor schlub from the same Company to boss around! (There are two gunner positions.)

SpaceBadger February 3rd, 2014 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McPerth (Post 465929)
If my vote counts, wellcome aboard

Thanks, McBean... err, McPerth. :D

Quote:

Gunner #1 is yours, SB. (Not that he has to be a qualified gunner, but that's the official position being filled). A 1 career NCO is likely to be a corporal, lance sergeant, or sergeant. Colour or Staff, unlikely, (but if the battalion was nearly eliminated...).

SSM,CSM,RSM all would be second career. As would any other warrant.

Thanks, Wil. :)

First career junior NCO he shall be, then. I just don't think I can manage with only 2 general points for customizing. ;)

What Gunner skill should he have to operate ship's weapons? I've been following along mostly, but don't recall any specifics on that. He ought to at least be somewhat experienced with the appropriate weapon, or else why would he get the assignment?

Quote:

He can either be just mustered into the reserves, or still on active {IIRC, in the 1880's, you still couldn't actually get out of the Royal Army (or its subordinated services - Royal Cavalry, Royal Arty, Royal Engineers) except by retiring, deserting, being dishonorably discharged, or being disabled}.

I would just as soon he still be active duty, if that works with this mission.

Two more questions: 1) Would Royal Marines work better for this mission than Royal Army? 2) If so, would career just be same as Army? (Book mentions Royal Marines in center column on p.14, but have no career path for them.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rancke (Post 465935)

As a serving NCO in British Army, most regiments would have him wearing a red tunic, so I guess my guy's fate is to show how mean the monster is. :eek: I'd better have him carry a sharp knife to cut his way out from the inside. ;)

SpaceBadger February 3rd, 2014 01:13 AM

Sorry, one more question. I've made several Space: 1889 characters over the past couple weeks, but still have never played any of them yet.

What sort of skill levels should I be aiming for? Is a 3 or 4 reasonable for something the character is supposed to be good at doing, or does it need to be higher? I've found it somewhat difficult to make a well-rounded character with more than one skill at 5+; skills at 3 or 4 are much easier to allocate.

aramis February 3rd, 2014 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 465944)
Sorry, one more question. I've made several Space: 1889 characters over the past couple weeks, but still have never played any of them yet.

What sort of skill levels should I be aiming for? Is a 3 or 4 reasonable for something the character is supposed to be good at doing, or does it need to be higher? I've found it somewhat difficult to make a well-rounded character with more than one skill at 5+; skills at 3 or 4 are much easier to allocate.

3-4 is pretty reasonable. 5 is impressive, 6 is world class.

SpaceBadger February 3rd, 2014 07:22 AM

Looking at what little info is provided in the rulebook, I have some concerns about the 6-pdr Hotchkiss Rotating Cannons that appear to be the ship's armament.

They are described as operating like Gatling guns, which implies a rather high rate of ammunition usage (machineguns use 10 rounds per "shot"; it is unclear to me whether this also applies to HRCs, which are in some respects treated as machineguns and in others as rapid-firing artillery). I am not familiar enough with the combat system yet to determine whether the 6-pdr size gun is necessary for dealing with dinosaurs, or whether the smaller 1-pdr might be sufficient. If the 1-pdr would do the job, then it seems that we might be able to carry more rounds of ammo if each round weighed less - so could carry a greater ammo supply for 1-pdr as opposed to 6-pdr. Would hate to run through our entire supply of HRC ammo in first combat that required their usage, eh what?

Also, in checking the combat tables at the back of the book, I see the 1-pdr HRC listed in with the artillery, but no listing for the larger bore HRCs. Do we need to do some extrapolation as to Range and Burst numbers for the heavier weapon, if we stick with those?

SpaceBadger February 3rd, 2014 06:14 PM

Re: Corporal Smithers

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 466046)
Should be Private, I think - A single NCO and a private or two, sure - but two NCO's? Unless they're being seconded to make room for more competent... if he's a corporal, he's being seconded for untoward actions - possibly off-duty ones.

He's your NPC. I will edit him to Private rather than Corporal. (I just figured on a distant mission they might want two more experienced soldiers, therefore two NCOs.)

Do you want me to finish him out as an NPC, or do you prefer to do all NPCs yourself?

EDIT: In reading further down your post, I see that you kept him as a Corporal, so I guess I should leave that alone. Just tell me if you'd still rather I make him a Private, and the editing will be done. :)

aramis February 3rd, 2014 06:57 PM

I just figure he got caught doing something (or someone) he shouldn't...

SpaceBadger February 3rd, 2014 07:24 PM

Anyone else have thoughts on this? I am worried that even a few combat encounters requiring use of the HRCs would exhaust our ammo supply.
They are sending us out with one ton of ammo for the HCRs. Presumably, one ton of 1-pdr ammo would be at least five times as many actual rounds as one ton of 6-pdr ammo. Or are we stuck w 6-pdrs as that is the current design and game is already underway?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 465979)
Looking at what little info is provided in the rulebook, I have some concerns about the 6-pdr Hotchkiss Rotating Cannons that appear to be the ship's armament.

They are described as operating like Gatling guns, which implies a rather high rate of ammunition usage (machineguns use 10 rounds per "shot"; it is unclear to me whether this also applies to HRCs, which are in some respects treated as machineguns and in others as rapid-firing artillery). I am not familiar enough with the combat system yet to determine whether the 6-pdr size gun is necessary for dealing with dinosaurs, or whether the smaller 1-pdr might be sufficient. If the 1-pdr would do the job, then it seems that we might be able to carry more rounds of ammo if each round weighed less - so could carry a greater ammo supply for 1-pdr as opposed to 6-pdr. Would hate to run through our entire supply of HRC ammo in first combat that required their usage, eh what?

Also, in checking the combat tables at the back of the book, I see the 1-pdr HRC listed in with the artillery, but no listing for the larger bore HRCs. Do we need to do some extrapolation as to Range and Burst numbers for the heavier weapon, if we stick with those?

Thanos February 3rd, 2014 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 465907)

Did you say that there will be some contingent of soldiers accompanying this exploration group? I would be happy to create a young officer - or NCO if possible with only one career term (Soldier's Companion suggests all NCOs are older soldiers in second career term).

What would be something that would fit into the game at this point in time, when interviews are already/almost completed? (That is one reason I was thinking military man still in uniform; no interview necessary, just gets assigned to the job.)

Well son of a gun! Damn glad to have you abord!

aramis February 4th, 2014 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 466123)
Carson thanks the waiter and asks for a second napkin, but will watch to see if anyone else is using one that way before doing so himself.

Made me LOL!

McPerth February 4th, 2014 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 465979)
I am not familiar enough with the combat system yet to determine whether the 6-pdr size gun is necessary for dealing with dinosaurs, or whether the smaller 1-pdr might be sufficient.

The ship's guns are not designed to fight dinosaurs (though they can be Handy on a pitch for that too), but as anti-ship defense, just in case pirates come in, and in this way the 6pdr are vastly superior to the 1 pdr.

To fight dinosaurs we should use the personal weapons (rifles, shotguns, etc). That's why McBean is so concerned about shotgun ammo...

SpaceBadger February 5th, 2014 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McPerth (Post 466130)
The ship's guns are not designed to fight dinosaurs (though they can be Handy on a pitch for that too), but as anti-ship defense, just in case pirates come in, and in this way the 6pdr are vastly superior to the 1 pdr.

To fight dinosaurs we should use the personal weapons (rifles, shotguns, etc). That's why McBean is so concerned about shotgun ammo...

I must read more about Venus. I thought the population (other than a few small European enclaves) was all primitive Lizard Men.

I also need to learn the combat system. Realistically, I'm not sure many large dinosaurs would even notice being shot with a shotgun unless it was near point-blank range. I don't know if this is reflected in the 1889 combat system or not.

New Question: I saw that at one point McPerth asked whether we might use the "Ship's Locker" approach to gear such as ropes, lanterns, tents, basic tools, etc. I never did see a response to this by Aramis. I note that some PCs (McBean?) seem to be supplying themselves with this sort of equipment. As a soldier serving under orders, I suspect it would be a foreign concept to Carson that he might need to buy such things for himself rather than having them issued by quartermaster as needed. Requesting clarification, please.

"One More Question"TM: Would a shotgun loaded with slugs be equivalent to an elephant gun? The projectile would be large, but I suspect the energy much less. Still, it would be versatile... I suppose there isn't time to have some shot-shells made up for the elephant gun that Carson will be seeking. Was hand reloading of ammunition much done in that era, and possible for these weapons? If so, perhaps we could buy a supply of steel shot, gunpowder, lead, and proper sized molds and make up our own ammunition during the months-long (???) journey to Venus.

aramis February 5th, 2014 04:50 AM

If you want a ship's locker, put some cash in the fund, and any reasonable basic gear (not weapons) gets taken from it until the fund is gone.

As for a shotgun with slug - I don't quite think so. It would be slower, broader, and probably not penetrate as well, and may even be less energy on the round to boot. As I said before, I'm not working out slug for a shotgun.

The Elephant gun is, per the rules, about a .60 cal rifle.

SpaceBadger February 5th, 2014 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 466274)
If you want a ship's locker, put some cash in the fund, and any reasonable basic gear (not weapons) gets taken from it until the fund is gone.

While I like that concept for private adventurers (consider it borrowed for future games!), it feels a bit odd for a government mission - especially for my character, as soldier on assignment. He has to contribute out of his personal funds for basic gear? :confused:

Quote:

As for a shotgun with slug - I don't quite think so. It would be slower, broader, and probably not penetrate as well, and may even be less energy on the round to boot.

Agreed. I was just speculating.

Quote:

As I said before, I'm not working out slug for a shotgun.

Sorry, I guess I missed where this was previously discussed. :o

Since the question about hand-loading our own ammo was not addressed, I assume we will not be allowed to do that?

Quote:

The Elephant gun is, per the rules, about a .60 cal rifle.

And Carson will go out looking for one to buy, as soon as lunch is finished. :cool:

aramis February 5th, 2014 07:12 AM

By the way, Dr. X is an old friend of mine; he's been in my FTF groups.

As for the ship - the ship itself is McBean's, not the Gov'ts.

If you want specific gear, the OS won't know unless SOMEONE asks. (And McPhee is modeled after the clueless engineer stereotype. He knows his tools, but don't count on him to actually THINK... (And his pips haven't even had time to tarnish!)

I am assuming, since it's rigged for sail, it's got a several hundred yards of essential rope, and about 150' of replacement. There's going to be gun spares.

As for what's on venus:
At present, 3 known colonies: Germany's, England's, and Italy's. Not a whole lot of civilian presence, and most of the UK thinks it's all lizardmen and dinos. The unfortunate side effect is that those who think they know dismiss that as propaganda, while those in the actual know realize that the colonies make Seattle (at this point, a frontier port town of about 3000) look tame and cosmopolitan. (Seattle is hitting a boom - in 1888-1890, it gains about 1000 people a month...)

The British colony is maybe seattle sized ... one town: Fort Collingswood.
the list of British Places on Venus:
Fort Collingswood. The reference.
Miraton 450 miles west
St Michael 400 miles south or Miraton, 600 SW of FtC.
Sherwoodton 300 miles east of St. Michael, 600 SSW of FtC
Alberta 500 miles ESE of Ft. C.
??? 700 mi NNW of FtC
Fort St. George 400 miles due north of ???

McPerth February 5th, 2014 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 466275)
And Carson will go out looking for one to buy, as soon as lunch is finished. :cool:

McBean will accompany him and also buy one, aalng with ammo for it, s it can be handy for long range, keeping the shotgun for short range...

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 466277)
As for the ship - the ship itself is McBean's, not the Gov'ts.

McBean also spends £ 50 in general supplies for it...

SpaceBadger February 6th, 2014 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 466364)
And, just a complication, the pay is for COMPLETED topo maps, not raw photos alone. Pay halved if the maps are not done.

Do we have anyone on board with Survey skill? I thought you said WT (Maps) was not good enough for doing this?

SpaceBadger February 6th, 2014 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 466367)
McPhee looks to Charley.

"Color Davis is full-a-porky-pies, and I don't know he's actually sending us our Party Rocks Harts." snaps out Charley, while filing the daily reports.

McPhee, in an apparent attempt to not look like he's clueless as to what the cockney Lance Sjt is trying to say, utters. "Very Well, Lance Sjt. That, and if you can wiggle it, a hogshead of metal scraps.

:eek: :confused:

I am afraid that I am as clueless as Lt McPhee as to the meaning of what C.C.C. just said. Color Davis? Full-a-porky-pies? Party Rocks Harts???

Would my character know this slang (or accent) after 10 years in the Army? Or do I need to send him back upstairs to ask C.C.C. what was meant?

And I know that a hogshead is a rather large barrel - would these be just random metal scraps?

aramis February 6th, 2014 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 466376)
:eek: :confused:

I am afraid that I am as clueless as Lt McPhee as to the meaning of what C.C.C. just said. Color Davis? Full-a-porky-pies? Party Rocks Harts???

Would my character know this slang (or accent) after 10 years in the Army? Or do I need to send him back upstairs to ask C.C.C. what was meant?

And I know that a hogshead is a rather large barrel - would these be just random metal scraps?

Colour is the mode of address/reference for a Colour Sarjeant, the senior non-warrant NCO grade in the Royal Army.

porky-pies is historic Cockney Rhyming Slang. Make an English roll at TN 4- (Native is always full Charisma)

And yes, McPhee has Survey. He'll teach it to any PC who wants. And there will be XP at conclusion of chapter, so you'll have at least two tries if you try to learn it. And I said Cartography will have lower TN's, not that it's totally useless, for the kind of specialty gear in use.

rancke February 6th, 2014 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 466383)
porky-pies is historic Cockney Rhyming Slang.

I thought you generally dropped the part that rhymed, like 'apples' for 'stairs' and 'trouble' for 'wife'? I've both heard and read examples where it was just 'porkies', but it's the first time I've seen it spelled out in full.

Hans

SpaceBadger February 6th, 2014 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 466383)
porky-pies is historic Cockney Rhyming Slang. Make an English roll at TN 4- (Native is always full Charisma)

OK, just so I'm clear on this: translating that into game mechanics, I roll 2d6, hoping that one of them comes up 4-?

Will success also translate the Party Rocks Harts, or is this just for the porky-pies?

SpaceBadger February 6th, 2014 04:34 AM

OK, just on the chance that is what I need to do, here are two d6 rolls:

[roll0]

[roll1]

BTW, in future, do you prefer rolls be made in the IC or OOC thread?

EDIT: OK, so both rolls are 4-, is that two successes? What does that mean in terms of results?

aramis February 6th, 2014 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 466385)
OK, just so I'm clear on this: translating that into game mechanics, I roll 2d6, hoping that one of them comes up 4-?

Will success also translate the Party Rocks Harts, or is this just for the porky-pies?

Arty Boxes Parts...

Porky-pies is lies...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 466388)
OK, just on the chance that is what I need to do, here are two d6 rolls:

[roll0]

[roll1]

BTW, in future, do you prefer rolls be made in the IC or OOC thread?

EDIT: OK, so both rolls are 4-, is that two successes? What does that mean in terms of results?

Yes, it is
I prefer rolls on the story thread. Chatter is off-topic, rather than specifically OOC; I've found OOC directives to be best left in the story threads, so that they don't get lost...

McPerth February 6th, 2014 03:54 PM

Excuse me for insisting in the question: is Venusian flora and fauna edible?

aramis February 6th, 2014 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McPerth (Post 466449)
Excuse me for insisting in the question: is Venusian flora and fauna edible?

Mostly.

SpaceBadger February 7th, 2014 03:08 AM

Just noticed in some re-reading, it was Color Sgt Dennis (the alleged liar who Carson just discovered messing around in our ship, doing something to the mapping camera) who provided a recommendation for our newest man, the anarchist/engineer Tunnaud!

The soup thickens... :confused:

rancke February 7th, 2014 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 466510)
Just noticed in some re-reading, it was Color Sgt Dennis (the alleged liar who Carson just discovered messing around in our ship, doing something to the mapping camera) who provided a recommendation for our newest man, the anarchist/engineer Tunnaud!

The soup thickens... :confused:

To quote Randall Garrett:
"Now the plot begins to thicken, as it should.
It's the thickening in plots that makes them good."

Hans

SpaceBadger February 7th, 2014 04:42 AM

Wil (or anyone else), do you have any visual references to suggest on what Carson's uniforms might look like? He has dress red, khaki, and tropical khaki. Most of the illustrations in the main 1889 rulebook seem to be Frank Chadwick's drawings of dashing red-coated officers with sword and/or pistol. The only drawings that I found of a regular infantry soldier (front and back, I was happy to see) were on page 92 of Soldier's Companion.

I'd like to have my son Chris, the artist, draw me a character sketch, but I need to give him reference as to the uniforms and equipment.

aramis February 7th, 2014 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 466515)
Wil (or anyone else), do you have any visual references to suggest on what Carson's uniforms might look like? He has dress red, khaki, and tropical khaki. Most of the illustrations in the main 1889 rulebook seem to be Frank Chadwick's drawings of dashing red-coated officers with sword and/or pistol. The only drawings that I found of a regular infantry soldier (front and back, I was happy to see) were on page 92 of Soldier's Companion.

I'd like to have my son Chris, the artist, draw me a character sketch, but I need to give him reference as to the uniforms and equipment.

http://www.victorianstrollers.co.uk/...ms/24regt.html
White pith helmet, as you're being sent overseas, and the cuffs may be white. Khaki looks identical in cut, but lacks the lace and facing on the cuffs. Cuffs should be white in this period.

Mess uniform would be a jacket like http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Army-Mess-Dre...QQg~~60_35.JPG except with white lapels and cuffs, and without the Royal Engineers' insignia. A white shirt with white bowtie.

Rifle is a brand new Lee Metford.

Thanos February 7th, 2014 08:19 AM

Is that standard mess? I thought they only dressed for dinner and not lunch unless a formal occasion?

And... my goodness you boys were busy little bees last night!

Also how discernible is the ruckus out on the pitch? Would anyone in the house hear it?

aramis February 7th, 2014 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thanos (Post 466522)
Is that standard mess? I thought they only dressed for dinner and not lunch unless a formal occasion?

And... my goodness you boys were busy little bees last night!

Also how discernible is the ruckus out on the pitch? Would anyone in the house hear it?

Not hear it over the cricket game. But when Smithers comes running in...

Remember: The major's bowling.
Etien is just finishing eating.
McBean was at the house, as was McPhee.

Charley was on his way to watch the match... and got diverted.

And Mess Dress is for dinner - but I include it since the 1870's are apparently when most sergeant's messes adopted Mess Dress as a more casual uniform than parade dress (which is worn for specific state dinners).

The Formality level as I understand it for the 1880's
  • Ceremonial Dress
  • Mess Dress (Red/Blue or Tropical White)
  • Parade Dress Red/Blue (medals, etc)
  • Service Dress Red/Blue (no medals, and ribbons not standard at this time)
  • Service Dress Khaki
  • Service Dress Tropical
  • Barracks Uniform (just being introduced in some regiments)
  • Work Coveralls (just being introduced)
  • Undress red/blue
  • undress khaki or tropical

The standard is a white shirt, blue-black trousers, red or blue coat, white sam brown, black boots, and a black or white helmet.

Khaki is same cut, but trousers and coat are UK khaki (which is a brownish green, and fades to tan). (US khaki is much more tan.) (The modern khaki fold-down is an evolution.

Parade uniform includes all your awards.
Service, at this time, doesn't.

Barracks is shirt and a waistcoat or sweater. Rank on the sweater. Not used in most regiments yet.

Undress is just the shirt and trousers. You don't get seen in this outside of duty hours... Also note: the collar is upright,

Tropical may be shorts and knee-socks, or may be trousers. (I've seen photos of both.)

Scots may substitute kilts for trousers in all cases, and must for cerimonial and home parade. Some individuals had trousers; some units fielded in trousers.

Note that all the jackets may be turned down to the second button, and will then look vaguely like modern pattern, but doing so when not actively working is discouraged.

SpaceBadger February 7th, 2014 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 466521)
http://www.victorianstrollers.co.uk/...ms/24regt.html
White pith helmet, as you're being sent overseas, and the cuffs may be white. Khaki looks identical in cut, but lacks the lace and facing on the cuffs. Cuffs should be white in this period.

Muchas gracias, compadre!

Thanos February 7th, 2014 12:16 PM

Where are we?

Quote:

Originally Posted by McPerth (Post 466528)
1:20pm, 9th of January 1887

Heading outside, a Naval Supply wagon is out front, beside the Highland Pride.

Poking his head into the cargo bay, the hatch of which was wide open, Carson finds a just delivered stack of assorted spares and ammunition for the cannon... and a Royal Marine Color Serjant with a screwdriver in hand kneeling at the mapping camera...

Where is McBean when all this happens?

Yeah. I'm a little confused as to where everyone is and our timing.

Here's what I believe to be the sequence of events. Lunch wherein we discussed the particulars of the mission and are given our books on Venus. Tenaud (sp?) shows up just before desert and sherry. Introduction of Tenaud and break for Cricket match. Space Badger gets his requisition and goes to check on the deliveries so far and discovers the trouble maker, while the others get ready for the match.

It seems to me that very little time passed between the end of lunch and the last event but that last couple of posts indicate and maybe I’m reading in to it, that more time has passed. The match seems to be in progress only minutes after the Major excused himself to change for it.

If someone could just lie out the timeline and where everyone is that would help.
Am I the only one confused?

SpaceBadger February 7th, 2014 01:03 PM

I confess to a slight confusion myself, as after lunch and the Major's departure to dress for cricket, Carson was in conversation with McBean about going to town for supplies, an elephant gun, and possibly some books. Then next thing I know Carson is outside spotting the Marine in our ship, and immediately jumped into action on that.

I am afraid we will need clarification from Aramis to get it all straight.

Either that or we just decide where our characters are right now and run with it from there.

Carson is outside right now dealing with the intruder, waiting for the arrival of someone with more authority to examine the camera and decide on disposition of the intruder. After that he will be ready to go into town with McBean and Smithers and anyone else so inclined.

aramis February 7th, 2014 08:33 PM

As far as I know...
  • the ship is in the formation field, literally acros the Street.
  • naval ordinance Wagon parked in the street
  • McBean is either at the match (line of sight, but not hearing), or inside changing, or standing nearby. Lluís, your call.
  • Tunnaud is just finishing his lunch and sherry. He is with two mess stewards.
  • Carson is standing just at the cargo hatch
  • a sjt maj of engineers is nearby, looking out of place.
  • Smithers just ran to the building.
  • McPhee is at the match, which said field is beside the building
    so is the general.

aramis February 10th, 2014 04:19 AM

Departing in the next week, the planned course is retrograde and inbound, almost due inbound - about 15° trailing of sun. I've actually checked several orreries. They don't all agree precisely, but close enough. 15° to 30° from due in. Happy accident.

Thanos February 10th, 2014 07:57 PM

Questions about stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 466886)
About 1:30pm, 9th Jan 1887.

But really, we should be off world in the morning. It's a couple months in space."

Really? I was under the impression we weren't leaving until the 18th. Giving us 9 days to prepare.

What supplies is the Survey Office providing? Especially in regard to cages, specimen jars and means to capture live specimens?

How much room is aboard the ship? Will we each have a separate room or will we be sharing? How much can be devoted to live specimens and other collected items? Is there room for a portable lab?

Also medical supplies?

Am I asking for too much detail? I kinda get the impression Aramis is tough (but fair) GM. I'd rather ask too much than be underprepared.

Additionally should these questions be asked in game?

aramis February 11th, 2014 12:29 AM

One large crate of specimen jars (assorted sizes), nested, separated with diapers. 1qt, 1 gal, 2 gal, 4 gal; 32 each, with mason jar type 2-part lids (the flat, then the screw ring), and and a pair of metal drums (55gal each) of formaldehyde. no provision for larger specimens is provided. (total is just about 0.6 tons. Each drum, between drum and 53 gal of formaldehyde, is about 500#.

There is a butterfly net, a dip-net (both 24" diameter), and a pair of 6'x6' nets of 1/3" hauser, about 3" on centers. a single 4x8' fishing net of 1/8" cord, 1" openings, with galvanized weights. It's not loaded - but it's in the warehouse on the property. When asked, Henri will be directed to grab a couple pirates and oversee it's loading.

Also, in the shipment is rain gear for everyone. Navy issue canvas raingear, plus rubberized raingear. One set each. Umbrellas for the "officers" - McBean, McPhee, Tunnaud, DuBuois.

One canvas tent, 8x10', 4' at edge, 8' at center. Metal poles. About 200#. It's loaded.

The Naval issued supplies are gun parts for the HRC's, ammunition, and spare parts for the boilers, as well general oiling supplies, cleaning supplies, and cooking supplies.

SpaceBadger February 11th, 2014 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 466886)
By the light of the headlamp, however, you see what the Colour Serjeant was looking at - the patent plate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger
[Carson has called the patent plate that Dennis was examining to the attention of both McPhee and McBain and neither seemed concerned?]

Finally, he will take a look at the patent plate himself, applying his intellect and keen powers of observation to try to figure out the significance himself (has it been tampered with? has the original been replaced with a new one? was Dennis simply copying the info?).

Observation 4 (4d6)[5][2][3][4](14)

Intellect 5 (5d6)[3][5][3][6][3](20)

I did not see any GM response to this. Does that mean that Carson was unable to figure out what Dennis was doing with the patent plate, or figured it out but nothing is wrong, or ???

McPerth February 11th, 2014 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thanos (Post 466962)
Is there room for a portable lab?

Remember the Highland Pride has a lab that allows for biological ressearch, so, I guess the lab is there, no need for a portable one:

Quote:

Originally Posted by McPerth (Post 464569)
Laboratory would be equiped to ressearch Ether, Precision Machinery, Electricity, Combustion, Biochemistry (also used to destilate moonshine as oportunity arises) and Geology/metallurgy.

(Bolded part added)

Thanos February 11th, 2014 07:33 AM

@ Aramis and McPerth... Bon.

aramis February 11th, 2014 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 466974)
I did not see any GM response to this. Does that mean that Carson was unable to figure out what Dennis was doing with the patent plate, or figured it out but nothing is wrong, or ???

I'm waiting for some other player input before revealing.

McPerth February 14th, 2014 04:11 PM

What does Mcbean know about McPee?

I guess the camera is his invention (for the care he put on setting it). Is he an expert on mechanics? If so, what specialty does he have on them?