Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Aramis' pbp (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   The Hiring - Chatter (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=31845)

McPerth February 6th, 2014 03:54 PM

Excuse me for insisting in the question: is Venusian flora and fauna edible?

aramis February 6th, 2014 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McPerth (Post 466449)
Excuse me for insisting in the question: is Venusian flora and fauna edible?

Mostly.

SpaceBadger February 7th, 2014 03:08 AM

Just noticed in some re-reading, it was Color Sgt Dennis (the alleged liar who Carson just discovered messing around in our ship, doing something to the mapping camera) who provided a recommendation for our newest man, the anarchist/engineer Tunnaud!

The soup thickens... :confused:

rancke February 7th, 2014 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 466510)
Just noticed in some re-reading, it was Color Sgt Dennis (the alleged liar who Carson just discovered messing around in our ship, doing something to the mapping camera) who provided a recommendation for our newest man, the anarchist/engineer Tunnaud!

The soup thickens... :confused:

To quote Randall Garrett:
"Now the plot begins to thicken, as it should.
It's the thickening in plots that makes them good."

Hans

SpaceBadger February 7th, 2014 04:42 AM

Wil (or anyone else), do you have any visual references to suggest on what Carson's uniforms might look like? He has dress red, khaki, and tropical khaki. Most of the illustrations in the main 1889 rulebook seem to be Frank Chadwick's drawings of dashing red-coated officers with sword and/or pistol. The only drawings that I found of a regular infantry soldier (front and back, I was happy to see) were on page 92 of Soldier's Companion.

I'd like to have my son Chris, the artist, draw me a character sketch, but I need to give him reference as to the uniforms and equipment.

aramis February 7th, 2014 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 466515)
Wil (or anyone else), do you have any visual references to suggest on what Carson's uniforms might look like? He has dress red, khaki, and tropical khaki. Most of the illustrations in the main 1889 rulebook seem to be Frank Chadwick's drawings of dashing red-coated officers with sword and/or pistol. The only drawings that I found of a regular infantry soldier (front and back, I was happy to see) were on page 92 of Soldier's Companion.

I'd like to have my son Chris, the artist, draw me a character sketch, but I need to give him reference as to the uniforms and equipment.

http://www.victorianstrollers.co.uk/...ms/24regt.html
White pith helmet, as you're being sent overseas, and the cuffs may be white. Khaki looks identical in cut, but lacks the lace and facing on the cuffs. Cuffs should be white in this period.

Mess uniform would be a jacket like http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Army-Mess-Dre...QQg~~60_35.JPG except with white lapels and cuffs, and without the Royal Engineers' insignia. A white shirt with white bowtie.

Rifle is a brand new Lee Metford.

Thanos February 7th, 2014 08:19 AM

Is that standard mess? I thought they only dressed for dinner and not lunch unless a formal occasion?

And... my goodness you boys were busy little bees last night!

Also how discernible is the ruckus out on the pitch? Would anyone in the house hear it?

aramis February 7th, 2014 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thanos (Post 466522)
Is that standard mess? I thought they only dressed for dinner and not lunch unless a formal occasion?

And... my goodness you boys were busy little bees last night!

Also how discernible is the ruckus out on the pitch? Would anyone in the house hear it?

Not hear it over the cricket game. But when Smithers comes running in...

Remember: The major's bowling.
Etien is just finishing eating.
McBean was at the house, as was McPhee.

Charley was on his way to watch the match... and got diverted.

And Mess Dress is for dinner - but I include it since the 1870's are apparently when most sergeant's messes adopted Mess Dress as a more casual uniform than parade dress (which is worn for specific state dinners).

The Formality level as I understand it for the 1880's
  • Ceremonial Dress
  • Mess Dress (Red/Blue or Tropical White)
  • Parade Dress Red/Blue (medals, etc)
  • Service Dress Red/Blue (no medals, and ribbons not standard at this time)
  • Service Dress Khaki
  • Service Dress Tropical
  • Barracks Uniform (just being introduced in some regiments)
  • Work Coveralls (just being introduced)
  • Undress red/blue
  • undress khaki or tropical

The standard is a white shirt, blue-black trousers, red or blue coat, white sam brown, black boots, and a black or white helmet.

Khaki is same cut, but trousers and coat are UK khaki (which is a brownish green, and fades to tan). (US khaki is much more tan.) (The modern khaki fold-down is an evolution.

Parade uniform includes all your awards.
Service, at this time, doesn't.

Barracks is shirt and a waistcoat or sweater. Rank on the sweater. Not used in most regiments yet.

Undress is just the shirt and trousers. You don't get seen in this outside of duty hours... Also note: the collar is upright,

Tropical may be shorts and knee-socks, or may be trousers. (I've seen photos of both.)

Scots may substitute kilts for trousers in all cases, and must for cerimonial and home parade. Some individuals had trousers; some units fielded in trousers.

Note that all the jackets may be turned down to the second button, and will then look vaguely like modern pattern, but doing so when not actively working is discouraged.

SpaceBadger February 7th, 2014 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 466521)
http://www.victorianstrollers.co.uk/...ms/24regt.html
White pith helmet, as you're being sent overseas, and the cuffs may be white. Khaki looks identical in cut, but lacks the lace and facing on the cuffs. Cuffs should be white in this period.

Muchas gracias, compadre!

Thanos February 7th, 2014 12:16 PM

Where are we?

Quote:

Originally Posted by McPerth (Post 466528)
1:20pm, 9th of January 1887

Heading outside, a Naval Supply wagon is out front, beside the Highland Pride.

Poking his head into the cargo bay, the hatch of which was wide open, Carson finds a just delivered stack of assorted spares and ammunition for the cannon... and a Royal Marine Color Serjant with a screwdriver in hand kneeling at the mapping camera...

Where is McBean when all this happens?

Yeah. I'm a little confused as to where everyone is and our timing.

Here's what I believe to be the sequence of events. Lunch wherein we discussed the particulars of the mission and are given our books on Venus. Tenaud (sp?) shows up just before desert and sherry. Introduction of Tenaud and break for Cricket match. Space Badger gets his requisition and goes to check on the deliveries so far and discovers the trouble maker, while the others get ready for the match.

It seems to me that very little time passed between the end of lunch and the last event but that last couple of posts indicate and maybe Iím reading in to it, that more time has passed. The match seems to be in progress only minutes after the Major excused himself to change for it.

If someone could just lie out the timeline and where everyone is that would help.
Am I the only one confused?