Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Space Badger's Reaver's Deep (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   [SBRD] Prep: setting discussion (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=30664)

SpaceBadger July 22nd, 2013 06:27 PM

[SBRD] Prep: setting discussion
 
OK, we have our six players now (and two invites not responded), so I'm finished sending out invites.

I just sent y'all PMs w the questionnaire on what kind of setting y'all want to play in, and I know I requested sending your answers back to me, but then I thought that instead of me correlating and communicating back to y'all, maybe it is time to just start a thread here and hash it out on the forum where we can all see each other's suggestions.

So, if you send your response to me, I'll copy it here; or y'all can just post your responses in this thread so we can all discuss them.

(Plus once we figure out what kind of campaign this will be, we need to come up with a Campaign Name so we can tag threads with it!)

SpaceBadger July 22nd, 2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiNeNoiSe
1. d) Really no preference, but the Spinward Marches has been done to death.

2. f) Again no preference, except I'm old school - tend to be somewhat shady if not outright criminal :)

3. b) or c) It's a game :)

4. again no preference.


In case anyone missed it in the blog notes, I really don't want to GM a hardcore criminal gang like pirates or assassins, or really any group that would get an "Evil" alignment in a fantasy game.

That doesn't exclude breaking the occasional law in a good cause, or even somewhat shady behavior as LiNeNoIse put it - and any Free Trader will tell you that smuggling isn't really a crime. ;) Let's just not make criminal action the focus of the campaign, OK?

Edit: And of course if you are helping some rebel group against an evil government, that government would certainly call you criminals, but I wouldn't. Oh well, I'm sure you get the idea.

SpaceBadger July 22nd, 2013 07:40 PM

One more thing, on the "free trader crew" option I just meant that this would be an independent ship, not corporate. Not necessarily a Type A or variant ship; could be an old Type R or something else appropriate to the size of the group.

LiNeNoiSe July 22nd, 2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

That doesn't exclude breaking the occasional law in a good cause, or even somewhat shady behavior as LiNeNoIse put it - and any Free Trader will tell you that smuggling isn't really a crime. ;) Let's just not make criminal action the focus of the campaign, OK?
That's fine. I just didn't want to be a cop. Like to keep my options open.

SpaceBadger July 22nd, 2013 10:33 PM

Here is Dave's response to the Qs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveChase

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger
1) Physical Location and Historic Time Setting
a) Spinward Marches (after 5th Frontier War)
b) Reavers' Deep (either current or during Long Night)
c) unexplored new sector (non-OTU, but close)
d) other suggestions?

Does not matter to me.


2) What Do You Want to Do?

Again does not matter

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger
3) What Level of Realism?
a) Level One: Gritty Realism (default Traveller)
b) Level Two: Light Cinematic (Firefly)
c) Level Three: Medium Cinematic (Burn Notice)

B or A

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger
4) How Much GM Direction of Activity?
a) sandbox, w occasional patrons or rumors available
b) prepped adventures
c) plot-arc of connected adventures

a with maybe a bit of c


Only possible suggestion is if all the players are not wanting a story arc is maybe have one player who has a long term arc that takes the group through.

I often use a NPC for this like a ship's captain or patron, but a player who has a set goal that needs others to help them get the goal or one who likes taking friends/people along is cool too.

Nobles are fun for this, as they have some desire or noble errand that they need to do and do not want to do it alone or need help or both.

Dave Chase


atpollard July 22nd, 2013 10:43 PM

I am wide open to anything.
I just like playing characters and interacting, so anything but a post human robotic ship or a fleet of garbage scows works for me. :)

Given at least one shady character request, what about a Burn Notice or Firefly type of group ... just a bit of a down on their luck group "hanging together because it is better than hanging separately" (paraphrased Ben Franklin quote).

If someone really wants to be a Noble, then they might be the story arc that recruited the members of the group in the first place ... like the Leverage team.

atpollard July 22nd, 2013 10:54 PM

Not that it matters a great deal, because play is still play, but what version of Traveller are we using?

SpaceBadger July 22nd, 2013 11:07 PM

LOL! It is starting to look like I'll need to make most of the campaign setting decisions myself! But I am trying to keep an open mind and not start planning until we hear from our other four players (yes, we are up to seven now, or rather six with a strong maybe).

Well, in my PM I requested responses in the next day or two, so let's wait awhile longer before deciding on a setting and starting chargen.

SpaceBadger July 22nd, 2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atpollard (Post 446024)
Not that it matters a great deal, because play is still play, but what version of Traveller are we using?

Classic Traveller, LBBs and The Traveller Book. A few houserules - I guess I need to get that into the blog.

Edit 3: I don't even have T5 yet. If I'm thinking of pulling in anything from there or elsewhere, I'll discuss it w the group before just saying, "OK, this works differently now."

I'm considering just keeping most of the "numbers" stuff "behind the screen" and see how that works. Y'all just tell me what you want to do and give me a 2d6 roll, and I tell you how it works out. Seems like that would cut out some of the back and forth and save time in PbP format. Obviously requires some level of player trust of the GM, but I hope to earn that.

What do y'all think about that?

Edit: Also, if a character is skilled at something I don't mind an OOC question to the GM along the lines of "What do I think my chances are of succeeding if I do X?" Skilled people ought to be able to estimate that sort of thing based on experience. Unskilled people may ask the same kind of question, but I'd probably use one of those Truth-SomeTruth-No-Truth rolls in deciding how to answer them. :devil:

Edit 2: Picturing the academic type w no vacc-suit or Zero-G experience who wants to know his chances on a free jump from one ship to another. GM rolls badly. "Umm, sure, go ahead, should be no problem..." :devil:

SpaceBadger July 22nd, 2013 11:31 PM

Hmm, looking back at PMs from Sam, there was a vote for the Marches and for Light Cinematic Realism. He didn't really say what kind of activity would be preferred.

SpaceBadger July 23rd, 2013 12:35 AM

Questionnaire response from Fritz:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger
Our six players are Fritz_Brown; samuelvss; DaveChase; ErianFrost; LiNeNoiSe; and atpollard.

*waves to everyone*

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger
1) Physical Location and Historic Time Setting
a) Spinward Marches (after 5th Frontier War)
b) Reavers' Deep (either current or during Long Night)
c) unexplored new sector (non-OTU, but close)
d) other suggestions?

e) any of the above

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger
2) What Do You Want to Do?
Note: ships will be provided as appropriate if no one gets one in chargen, so don't fret on that
a) free trader crew
b) corporate or freelance troubleshooter team
c) special ops or spy team
d) law enforcement or private investigation/security team
e) scouts/explorers in new unexplored sector
f) other suggestions?

g) all of the above :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger
3) What Level of Realism?
a) Level One: Gritty Realism (default Traveller)
b) Level Two: Light Cinematic (Firefly)
c) Level Three: Medium Cinematic (Burn Notice)

b) I am not above a little unrealism to make the story work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger
4) How Much GM Direction of Activity?
a) sandbox, w occasional patrons or rumors available
b) prepped adventures
c) plot-arc of connected adventures

d) a&b - works for me, but I'm easy; you can do c) if you want


sabredog July 23rd, 2013 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 446009)
One more thing, on the "free trader crew" option I just meant that this would be an independent ship, not corporate. Not necessarily a Type A or variant ship; could be an old Type R or something else appropriate to the size of the group.

OK, we keep our thievn' n' murderin' to those what deserve it. But where do we get the ship for the Free Trader type option? Chargen or patron?

SpaceBadger July 23rd, 2013 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 446039)
OK, we keep our thievn' n' murderin' to those what deserve it. But where do we get the ship for the Free Trader type option? Chargen or patron?

I think w the size of crew we have here (eight players now), y'all are going to need something bigger than a Type A or variant. At least a Type R boosted to J-2 (so you don't have to mess around w internal tanks like in TTA), maybe even something bigger like a 600 or 800 tonner.

Since something that big doesn't come as a Mustering Out benefit for anyone, I'll just supply it as something that y'all have at the start. Maybe if anyone does get ship benefits in chargen, we can just interpret that as letting that PC own a larger share in the ship?

So... let's say y'all are going to have some sort of merchant ship, in the 400 to 800 ton range, at least J-2... What do you want to name it?

I think the ship's name would make a handy title for the campaign overall, giving us something better to tag our posts with instead of "SpaceBadger's NoName PbP". There was a great thread that I saw recently (actually an old thread brought back by necromancy) with lots of suggested ship names, or y'all can just make something up.

So come on now, let's have some name suggestions and get this ship christened!

SpaceBadger July 23rd, 2013 02:14 AM

To summarize the questionnaire responses:

1) Physical Location and Historic Time Setting
Most of you said you didn't care. Sam expressed that the Spinward Marches would be good bc everyone would be familiar w the sector; LiNeNoIse voted against the Marches on the same principle, that it had been "done to death".

I think I'll break the tie by declaring for Reavers' Deep, at the most interesting historical period I can figure. This will fit well with what some of you expressed as wanting to do in the campaign (those that gave an opinion). I'm thinking of sometime during the Long Night, when several small pocket empires are growing there, and the Aslan have just made contact. I'll have to check some historical notes to figure out an exact date.

2) What Do You Want to Do?
Again, most said this didn't matter, although LiNeNoIse voted against law enforcement. ATPollard suggested a Burn Notice or Firefly type group, which was also in line with the wishes of Sabredog, ErianFrost, and my son who hasn't made his CotI account yet.

That sounds to me like y'all would be best served by working together as a Free Trader crew, although on something larger than a standard Type A (see post above). You could haul cargoes and passengers around, run into the occasional "package trade" situation, run missions for patrons, etc. Pretty wide open as to whatever you want to do - maybe even some trade pioneer exploration to some of those worlds that have lost touch w civilization.

3) What Level of Realism?
Most didn't care, Dave said either 1 or 2, LiNeNoIse said 2 or 3, Sam said 2... So it looks like the most common vote, acceptable to all, would be for Level Two: Light Cinematic, which I defined as about the level of realism you'd see on Firefly. Mal and his crew aren't necessarily better or more skilled than everyone else they meet, but sometimes they are a bit more lucky. I think we play this by generating normal characters, but then having a rather sparse Drama Point mechanic. I'll write something up and post it in my blog for comments before we start playing.

4) How Much GM Direction of Activity?
I think Dave was the only one who expressed an opinion, suggesting mostly sandbox with some running plot arcs. I'll interpret that as most of the time y'all make your own way, doing whatever you want, but every now and then I'll throw out some rumors or a patron and y'all can decide whether to follow up or not. As to the continuing plot arcs, we'll see what develops as we play - if you make enemies, you may meet them again later; if you make friends, they may help you out later, or ask you to help them. (Oh, almost forgot another of Dave's suggestions; if somebody has a character idea with a background that might lead to some continuing plot, by all means let me know and we can work it in!)

Thanks for all of the fast responses on this! It appears the ball is now back in my court, as I need to get a couple of PDFs made that you might want to use in chargen (although feel free to go ahead and read the chargen rules that I have up on my blog, and get started if you want).

Oh yeah, one more thing I need from y'all: What do you want to name your ship?

LiNeNoiSe July 23rd, 2013 03:30 AM

Quote:

Since something that big doesn't come as a Mustering Out benefit for anyone, I'll just supply it as something that y'all have at the start. Maybe if anyone does get ship benefits in chargen, we can just interpret that as letting that PC own a larger share in the ship?
If somebody is going to give us a ship that big, they'll probably want us to keep to some kind of schedule.

Quote:

So come on now, let's have some name suggestions and get this ship christened!
How about The Minnow? :)

LiNeNoiSe July 23rd, 2013 03:46 AM

Quote:

I think I'll break the tie by declaring for Reavers' Deep, at the most interesting historical period I can figure. This will fit well with what some of you expressed as wanting to do in the campaign (those that gave an opinion). I'm thinking of sometime during the Long Night, when several small pocket empires are growing there, and the Aslan have just made contact. I'll have to check some historical notes to figure out an exact date.
I was actually kinda hoping for that. I've never messed around there before.

Quote:

also in line with the wishes of Sabredog, ErianFrost, and my son who hasn't made his CotI account yet.
Didn't know your kids were gonna be playing. Thought it was going to be a bunch of grumpy old men. There goes my salty spacedog routine. :)

Quote:

you might want to use in chargen (although feel free to go ahead and read the chargen rules that I have up on my blog, and get started if you want).
I've got some ideas, but I was waiting to see who wants to play what. I don't particularly care. Playing a gunner would be fine with me.

atpollard July 23rd, 2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 446041)
2) What Do You Want to Do?
That sounds to me like y'all would be best served by working together as a Free Trader crew, although on something larger than a standard Type A (see post above). You could haul cargoes and passengers around, run into the occasional "package trade" situation, run missions for patrons, etc. Pretty wide open as to whatever you want to do - maybe even some trade pioneer exploration to some of those worlds that have lost touch w civilization.

Just one observation from past experience.
Free Trader crews spend a lot of Time and Skills dedicated to trade ... you have those darn mortgage payments just around the corner. I have done that and it is fun, but you might also want to conciser taking a radically different approach:

A 40 year old Far Trader, paid off, that serves as the vehicle to move the group from point A to point B. Perhaps an old retired smuggling ship or blockade runner. It has more than enough space for an eight man crew with enough extra room to carry a few passengers or a small cargo if that is needed as part of the adventure.

But the money to support the group comes from the adventures themselves. You are always running into somebody that knows one of the crew and needs something ... or some local government that has this problem that needs investigating ... or someone is making us an offer that we can't refuse ...

It removes the pressure of a mortgage payment and the NEED for 'accountants in space', justifies a ship that could never make ends meet as a commercial trader (J3, 3G?), and leaves the door open to a few Ex-Marine Sniper or Scientist type characters that are hard to justify on a merchant ship. This ship could be more of a mobile 'solution' in search of problems that need fixing. 'Mercenaries' for 'non-military' problems.

Ultimately, the ref needs to come up with the adventures ... I was just trying to think out of the box to open up more possibilities to the referee and the group.

SpaceBadger July 23rd, 2013 02:22 PM

And now a reply from ErianFrost, which seems to go along with most of the other replies, except that he would like more law enforcer/troubleshooter activity - sorry, Erian, I think you are outvoted on law enforcement or corporate connections, but I expect that some freelance troubleshooting might be part of the group's repertoire!.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErianFrost
1) Reaver's Deep sounds like fun

2) Either B, C, or D would be pretty enjoyable -- but I gotta say B is my preference.

3) B

4) Any :D


SpaceBadger July 23rd, 2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atpollard (Post 446060)
A 40 year old Far Trader, paid off, that serves as the vehicle to move the group from point A to point B. Perhaps an old retired smuggling ship or blockade runner. It has more than enough space for an eight man crew with enough extra room to carry a few passengers or a small cargo if that is needed as part of the adventure.

But the money to support the group comes from the adventures themselves. You are always running into somebody that knows one of the crew and needs something ... or some local government that has this problem that needs investigating ... or someone is making us an offer that we can't refuse ...

It removes the pressure of a mortgage payment and the NEED for 'accountants in space', justifies a ship that could never make ends meet as a commercial trader (J3, 3G?), and leaves the door open to a few Ex-Marine Sniper or Scientist type characters that are hard to justify on a merchant ship. This ship could be more of a mobile 'solution' in search of problems that need fixing. 'Mercenaries' for 'non-military' problems.

I agree. Unless y'all really want to have the pressure of making those regular payments, I think an older vessel, fully ppaid off, would be better as an adventuring ship. I think we can work out the backstory on this after y'all have made your characters. As I suggested before, since characters who get a ship in chargen won't actually be getting that ship, maybe they should be compensated by getting a larger ownership share in the group's ship. I'm sure we can work something out.

(And you'll still have some money pressure, paying ship expenses for fuel, maintenance, and the occasional breakdown that goes w having an old ship... :devil:)

SpaceBadger July 23rd, 2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiNeNoiSe (Post 446045)
Didn't know your kids were gonna be playing. Thought it was going to be a bunch of grumpy old men. There goes my salty spacedog routine. :)

Don't worry about it. They are aged 17 and 20, both play lots of online games, and have been exposed to far more saltiness than is permitted by CotI rules anyway.

SpaceBadger July 23rd, 2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiNeNoiSe (Post 446044)
If somebody is going to give us a ship that big, they'll probably want us to keep to some kind of schedule.

Nah, that would be boring. See my reply to atpollard; this will be an older ship that is all paid off. Maybe even a salvage? We'll work out the ownership details after we see what kind of characters y'all come up with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiNeNoiSe (Post 446044)
How about The Minnow? :)

Sounds like a "bad luck" name to me, but I'm just the GM, and I think the ship name is a player decision - let's see what the other players think.

DaveChase July 23rd, 2013 02:37 PM

Average TL
Open equipment list (of course with GM approval per character)
Robots? yes, no, rare, ??

Dave Chase

SpaceBadger July 23rd, 2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveChase (Post 446128)
Average TL
Open equipment list (of course with GM approval per character)
Robots? yes, no, rare, ??

Dave Chase

TL I am going to have to look at, as I don't remember where the historical breaks are and we are going to be playing sometime during the Long Night.

Equipment, yeah, pretty open - and you can look at MT, MgT, and 2300 equipment lists, too, as the CT lists are pretty sparse. If you have something that you're not sure whether it fits the setting, just bring it to my attention for yea or nay.

Weaponry - standard stuff, up to and including gauss weapons. Dunno if the military has plasma/fusion guns or not, will have to check the TL on those. Military armor goes up to combat armor, but not battledress. Civilian stuff mostly vest/jacket stuff - call it cloth? Police and paramilitary probably armor cloth coveralls w some plate reinforcement in the torso - not sure what to call that in CT rules. Of course, as Travellers who occasionally visit low law-level systems and other unsavory places, you may have a few items stashed away that are better than standard civilian gear.

I saw that you PMed me a "Doc" character, haven't had a chance to look at him yet as I'm having a pretty good day health-wise and need to get into the office as soon as I finish eating, so maybe we need to discuss medical gear - or if you want to look at it and suggest what you think he should have, that is fine with me!

Edit: There is no big cultural bias against robots, but probably some developmental delay due to the old Vilani rules. I think they'd be available, but not ubiquitous as in replacing people for doing everything.

LiNeNoiSe July 23rd, 2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 446126)
Sounds like a "bad luck" name to me, but I'm just the GM, and I think the ship name is a player decision - let's see what the other players think.

Wasn't a serious suggestion. Just the first thing that came to mind.

SpaceBadger July 23rd, 2013 06:22 PM

OK, y'all, we still need a name for your ship, but I decided to go ahead and just call this campaign [SBRD] Reavers' Deep so we can proceed w other threads properly tagged as needed (the SB is for SpaceBadger, not because I'm egotistical, but just to distinguish this campaign from other Reavers' Deep campaigns that someone else might run).

Fritz, can you use your Mighty Moderator powers to change the thread title to [SBRD] Reavers' Deep - setting discussion, please? Or do I need to contact Aramis to do that, or is there some better way to fix it so this discussion has the same tag as other threads for this campaign?

(I already tried using advanced edit to do it myself, but that just changed the title on the first post, not the whole thread.)

SpaceBadger July 23rd, 2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atpollard (Post 446022)
Given at least one shady character request, what about a Burn Notice or Firefly type of group ... just a bit of a down on their luck group "hanging together because it is better than hanging separately" (paraphrased Ben Franklin quote).

If someone really wants to be a Noble, then they might be the story arc that recruited the members of the group in the first place ... like the Leverage team.

"Something like Firefly" would be fine, if y'all build some suitable characters.

I'm not familiar w Leverage (not available on Netflix :( ), but if you want to expand on that idea, feel free.

SpaceBadger July 23rd, 2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiNeNoiSe (Post 446132)
Wasn't a serious suggestion. Just the first thing that came to mind.

Nothing wrong w that name; I should have added a ;) to my bad luck comment. :)

aramis July 23rd, 2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 446167)
"Something like Firefly" would be fine, if y'all build some suitable characters.

I'm not familiar w Leverage (not available on Netflix :( ), but if you want to expand on that idea, feel free.

Leverage: a bunch of criminals, coopted into revenging/avenging/correction systemic and/or individual abuses by worse criminals against innocents by a do-gooder never seen on camera, by doing damned illegal things. Kind of a criminal spying and special ops game.

SpaceBadger July 23rd, 2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 446173)
Leverage: a bunch of criminals, coopted into revenging/avenging/correction systemic and/or individual abuses by worse criminals against innocents by a do-gooder never seen on camera, by doing damned illegal things. Kind of a criminal spying and special ops game.

Sounds kind of like the old Secret Six comic!

Hey, could you please change the title of this thread to [SBRD] Reavers' Deep - setting discussion, please? Or is there some better way to fix it so this discussion has the same tag as other threads for this campaign?

(I already tried using advanced edit to do it myself, but that just changed the title on the first post, not the whole thread.)

aramis July 23rd, 2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 446179)
Sounds kind of like the old Secret Six comic!

I have never heard of Secret Six...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 446179)
Hey, could you please change the title of this thread to [SBRD] Reavers' Deep - setting discussion, please? Or is there some better way to fix it so this discussion has the same tag as other threads for this campaign?

(I already tried using advanced edit to do it myself, but that just changed the title on the first post, not the whole thread.)

Done.

SpaceBadger July 23rd, 2013 07:46 PM

Still at office (feeling good today! :) ), but I scanned my old homebrew extended character generation and wrote a little introduction for it.

SB-CT-Extended-Chargen.pdf

This has new rules and service tables for Army, Marines, Navy, Scouts, and Free Traders. My basic idea was to provide a framework of 4 year terms like in Book 1, but adding in some of the cool stuff like service branches and specialty schools from Books 4 and 5 (Books 6 and 7 were not out yet when I wrote these). There is also a Military Police and CID service branch to give some law enforcement skills.

The intro page also has some campaign setting details about the respective duties of Army, Marines, and Assault Troops that players in this campaign may want to look at even if not using these rules for chargen (I'll try to remember to copy those parts to the campaign setting info in the blog when I get to writing that).

SpaceBadger July 23rd, 2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 446184)
I have never heard of Secret Six...

I don't know if they ever had their own comic, or only ran as "backup stories" in other DC comics such as The Brave and The Bold (1960s, back when comics still had a main story and backup story).

They were sort of like a Mission Impossible team: brawler, stage magician, disguise artist, scientist, etc - all of whom were being blackmailed with some secret from his/her past to participate in these missions assigned to them by "Mockingbird", who remained unseen and communicated by various recordings.

Spoiler:
I think the team eventually suspected that Mockingbird was actually one of them, but I don't recall if they ever figured out which one.


Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 446184)
Done.

Thank you!

sabredog July 23rd, 2013 08:24 PM

I was thinking of running this guy: I rolled him up in a thread on generating backstories from the career rolls. he had a lot of potential and I tracked him down again on Freelance Trav's site so I could play him here.

He rolled up a Free Trader in mustering out that was actually (my interpretation here...I wanted "color") already well-used, clear of title (at least according to the shady former captain now swinging in the breeze) and probably already doing most of its business well off the main routes and the shadier parts of the ports.

Anyway, as far as names and rationales for player ships go its a thought:



Hampton Rhodes

6A79AB Age 38

Merchant Captain

Blade-2, Bribery-1, Gunnery-1, Mechanical-1, Pilot-2, SMG-1, Streetwise-2, Vacc Suit-1

SMG, Blade, Free Trader Fortunate Son 30,000Cr

Hampton appeared on the merchant scene looking more like a good candidate for the Naval Academy than working on some greasy Free Trader but as the second son of a noble he wasn’t likely to inherit. Nor did he get along very well with his family so he decided to take the road less travelled by his ancestors: strike out for fame and fortune he could call his own. His relatively high social status made it easy to fork over the stake the captain demanded for an officer’s berth (a real money-grubber type that would rather jury-rig a fuse than pay the few credits for a new one).

Hampton early on showed his worth as a pilot and an unusual aptitude for getting along and making deals within any strata of society – particularly with the lower ones where the captain of the Close Call usually found cargoes and passengers. The first flight resulted in a near miss with a pirate. Hampton was acting as the gunner during that incident and was badly wounded, which never properly healed and developed into a painful limp in his later years.

Saving the ship did result in a fast promotion, though, and to becoming a confidant to the captain when working dirtside looking for speculative cargo. Hampton showed a high aptitude for finding good cargos and picked up some expertise with a blade in case negotiations got a little heated. Occasionally it was his skill with a knife that saved both himself and the captain from angry customers who might have felt cheated – which sometimes they were.

He picked up a few more scars as the ship worked the rougher regions of the frontier. Eventually a submachine gun joined the blade at his side when cargos were being loaded or sold in some pretty iffy ports.

Eventually, Hampton made First Officer on the ship and, being smart, he had stashed the majority of his earnings away for the day when he decided one close shave for a percentage was too many. He figured that if he was going to risk his neck he would rather it be for a captain’s cut. On the last world they put in at some of the captain’s past caught up with the Close Call and Hampton decided Fate was giving him a shove.

While the captain was off arguing for why he shouldn’t be strung up from a lamp post over a bad incident involving spoiled medicine, Hampton took the Close Call to space with most of the crew eager to avoid the fate of their former captain. Hampton had had some new papers drawn up through a previous contact on the street a while back so he was now the proud owner of a Free trader. He renamed it Fortunate Son, greased a few of the right palms for a new transponder and better documents, and was now ready to begin his life as a merchant adventurer.

sabredog July 23rd, 2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 446130)
Weaponry - standard stuff, up to and including gauss weapons.

Question on weapons and combat: what damage numbers are we using? The ones from LBB1 1977, or the ones from 81-82 editions? Likewise, some of the armor and range modifiers are different between the two rule sets.

Personally, I use and prefer the ones from the 77 edition since they are more diverse in your choices. Daggers shouldn't be as damaging as Blades, and .380 Body Pistols shouldn't do as much damage as a 9mm Autopistol. Etc.. IMHO

Hate to sound all grognardy but these things can make the difference.

LiNeNoiSe July 23rd, 2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Leverage: a bunch of criminals, coopted into revenging/avenging/correction systemic and/or individual abuses by worse criminals against innocents by a do-gooder never seen on camera, by doing damned illegal things. Kind of a criminal spying and special ops game.
Hmm. If characters can be passengers, maybe I could be a criminal and one of the kids could be a cop (without being known to one other at first). Might be interesting to see a criminal and a cop forced to cooperate, or even accidetally discover that they're on the same team.

LiNeNoiSe July 23rd, 2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 446192)
Question on weapons and combat: what damage numbers are we using? The ones from LBB1 1977, or the ones from 81-82 editions? Likewise, some of the armor and range modifiers are different between the two rule sets.

I'd kill for a copy of the '77 edition. Somebody swiped mine in college.

SpaceBadger July 23rd, 2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 446191)
I was thinking of running this guy:
He rolled up a Free Trader in mustering out that was actually (my interpretation here...I wanted "color") already well-used, clear of title (at least according to the shady former captain now swinging in the breeze) and probably already doing most of its business well off the main routes and the shadier parts of the ports.

Hampton Rhodes
6A79AB Age 38
Merchant Captain

Looks good to me; I hope he wouldn't mind trading up to a J-2 Fat Trader, if that fits the group better? :rolleyes:

I made a character thread where you can post as much of your character as you want the other PCs to know about. If you want to keep some of the backstory unknown to the others, you might want to edit it out of the above post.

SpaceBadger July 23rd, 2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 446192)
Question on weapons and combat: what damage numbers are we using? The ones from LBB1 1977, or the ones from 81-82 editions? Likewise, some of the armor and range modifiers are different between the two rule sets.

Personally, I use and prefer the ones from the 77 edition since they are more diverse in your choices. Daggers shouldn't be as damaging as Blades, and .380 Body Pistols shouldn't do as much damage as a 9mm Autopistol. Etc.. IMHO

Hate to sound all grognardy but these things can make the difference.

Ummm, I dunno??? :o :confused:

I almost always played w houserules for combat, or used Striker, so I'm actually not as familiar w straight CT combat as maybe I should be. I've read the combat rules, of course, but only played w them in one session that I can recall.

I bought my LBBs in 78 or 79, so I suppose that would be the 77 edition. I also have The Traveller Book and MT, but never really compared to see if the numbers were different.

Last Traveller I played we used Fudge rules; last time before that, we used GURPS. I just figured on CT for this campaign bc I thought it would be what most people know.

Suggestions?

sabredog July 23rd, 2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 446195)
Looks good to me; I hope he wouldn't mind trading up to a J-2 Fat Trader, if that fits the group better? :rolleyes:

I made a character thread where you can post as much of your character as you want the other PCs to know about. If you want to keep some of the backstory unknown to the others, you might want to edit it out of the above post.

A Fat Trader would give us all our own staterooms. That's always a plus. And more nooks and crannies for smuggling.. Nothing dangerously illegal, you know, just a little harmless vice here and there to liven up someone's day. And the longer legs would be nice.

sabredog July 23rd, 2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 446196)
Ummm, I dunno??? :o :confused:

I almost always played w houserules for combat, or used Striker, so I'm actually not as familiar w straight CT combat as maybe I should be. I've read the combat rules, of course, but only played w them in one session that I can recall.

I bought my LBBs in 78 or 79, so I suppose that would be the 77 edition. I also have The Traveller Book and MT, but never really compared to see if the numbers were different.

I've always used either Striker for the more gearheady grognardy groups and the 1977 CT rules for the rest.

I have a monster spreadsheet I made with all of the weapons from CT/Mercenary/and a lot in between (some my own, some from JTAS) that has the damage rolls from the 1977 edition. The range and armor mods are already factored in ala' the old Judges Guild Traveller Screen. Cross the weapon with range and armor and you get the number without all the math in between.

I'll include the armor table for factoring in the modifiers for combat and battle dress across the various tech levels it is available at. It is handy for figuring out if that TL-15 suit is any better at keeping out TL-12 gauss rifles than the TL-12 suits. And if battle dress is any better than combat like it is in Striker.

Use them if you want to, but at least you can see the differences in the weapon damage numbers form the more generic ones in the 1981+ editions.

atpollard July 23rd, 2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 446167)
"Something like Firefly" would be fine, if y'all build some suitable characters.

I'm not familiar w Leverage (not available on Netflix :( ), but if you want to expand on that idea, feel free.

"Leverage follows a five-person team: a thief, a grifter, a hacker, and a retrieval specialist, led by former insurance investigator Nathan Ford, who use their skills to fight corporate and governmental injustices inflicted on ordinary citizens."

"Nathan Ford is a former insurance investigator with an intricate knowledge of scams. He and his team act as modern-day Robin Hoods, staging elaborate cons for clients victimized by an individual or corporation with the wealth and influence to avoid reprisal within the legal system."

My only real point with respect to Leverage was that just as Nathan Ford gathered together a team of individuals with uncommon skills to pursue adventures, the Noble character proposed in one of the posts could have gathered together our group of diverse individuals.

I was not really suggesting that level of criminal adventures.

SpaceBadger July 23rd, 2013 10:38 PM

New Blog Post w misc campaign stuff. Now to do some research on the history of Reavers' Deep sector and figure out when and where this campaign should begin.

aramis July 24th, 2013 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiNeNoiSe (Post 446194)
I'd kill for a copy of the '77 edition. Somebody swiped mine in college.

It's on the current version of the CT CD. If you have the older version of the CD, Marc offers an upgrade option.

SpaceBadger July 24th, 2013 02:04 PM

I made a blog page w [SBRD] Reavers' Deep - Table of Contents to make it easier to navigate around our stuff for this campaign. You might want to bookmark that.

Any of y'all know anything about wikis? I would like to set one up for the Library Data type stuff for our campaign (info about planets, history, well known people or companies, etc), plus y'all could use it to keep campaign journals if you want.

I have used the kind of wiki that you can set up at Obsidian Portal a little bit, getting ready for a Pathfinder campaign that never happened bc the GM bailed out due to RL time issues. It was nice as it allowed the players to participate in building it, plus the GM could use the same wiki entries for GM notes on stuff that the players did not know yet, by marking those portions for GM only. Unfortunately I am not in a good financial situation to pay for an Obsidian Portal setup for this game; IIRC, the GM had to be a paid member of the site, plus pay a fee to set up a new campaign.

So, anybody know of a free wiki to recommend, and have experience w how to set it up? I have web-space available for it, but no experience in setting one up, and don't know which ones are good or what features they have. (The hidden GM-only notes would be cool to have, and efficient as I would not need to make duplicate pages for stuff that I needed to see, but y'all wouldn't know yet.)

sabredog July 24th, 2013 03:47 PM

What would it cost for the Obsidian Portal thing? I saw there was something called Ascendant Membership for 40 bucks a year - can we all chip in for that? A clan pay type of account through Paypal?

tjoneslo July 24th, 2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 446258)
Any of y'all know anything about wikis? I would like to set one up for the Library Data type stuff for our campaign (info about planets, history, well known people or companies, etc), plus y'all could use it to keep campaign journals if you want.

I know quite a bit about wikis, being the person who run the Traveller Wiki here on CotI. The biggest downside to setting up your own wiki is managing to keep the spammers out. Unless you want to be pretty draconian about keeping people out, you'll have to spend some amount of time managing the wiki itself. I would recommend MediaWiki as it is the most flexable, robust, and well known to me. And I can help with the configuration if needed.

I could point you to several "free" wiki sites (wikia, pbwiki, a few others). The general limitation there is either you release your (and your players) works under the cc-by-sa license or some limitation on size of the wiki. Neither should be a big deal until they suddenly are.

I would also invite you to consider using the Traveller Wiki itself. We already have a lot of Traveller Data for you to start from. We can flag information specific to your campaign for easy finding. Campaign logs would also be welcomed.

Also if Obsidian Portal cost money, I can't figure out how much or when you have to pay. They even say it's free.

LiNeNoiSe July 24th, 2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 446218)
It's on the current version of the CT CD. If you have the older version of the CD, Marc offers an upgrade option.

Thanks. I never bought the CD because I've got everything else in h/c. Looks like that might be the easiest way to get a copy.

SpaceBadger July 25th, 2013 02:14 AM

Our eighth group member has now created his CotI account. ChaosBennett will be playing Gayne Maize, an ex-Army Commando who excels w weapons and can also blow things up. His character will be posted to the Characters thread as soon as we work out a few last background details.

SpaceBadger July 25th, 2013 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 446265)
What would it cost for the Obsidian Portal thing? I saw there was something called Ascendant Membership for 40 bucks a year - can we all chip in for that? A clan pay type of account through Paypal?

That sounds about right, and your idea is fine with me. What do other group members think? For eight players that would be $5 each, then I'd kick in the "campaign fee" which I think is $5 or $10. The Obsidian Portal wiki and other features would be a big boost to our campaign, I think.

SpaceBadger July 25th, 2013 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjoneslo (Post 446297)
I know quite a bit about wikis, being the person who run the Traveller Wiki here on CotI. The biggest downside to setting up your own wiki is managing to keep the spammers out. Unless you want to be pretty draconian about keeping people out, you'll have to spend some amount of time managing the wiki itself. I would recommend MediaWiki as it is the most flexable, robust, and well known to me. And I can help with the configuration if needed.

Ugh. I sure don't have time for any extra work dealing w spammers, or really managing the wiki other than adding and linking new material.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjoneslo (Post 446297)
I could point you to several "free" wiki sites (wikia, pbwiki, a few others). The general limitation there is either you release your (and your players) works under the cc-by-sa license or some limitation on size of the wiki. Neither should be a big deal until they suddenly are.

Like you said, not a big deal until it is. Not crazy about blindly releasing whatever we create for this campaign. We might want to do something with it someday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjoneslo (Post 446297)
I would also invite you to consider using the Traveller Wiki itself. We already have a lot of Traveller Data for you to start from. We can flag information specific to your campaign for easy finding. Campaign logs would also be welcomed.

I expect to be generating quite a lot of background material that I would like to share w the Traveller community, so would hope that we could donate our material to the Traveller Wiki when our campaign is done, or maybe I could add bits and pieces as they are learned by the players. Otherwise I don't know how I'd separate out GM notes that the players should not be seeing. There will be a lot of unknown or partially known areas in this campaign (set during the Long Night), and it would spoil things if the players saw that material too soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjoneslo (Post 446297)
Also if Obsidian Portal cost money, I can't figure out how much or when you have to pay. They even say it's free.

I'll check again. Back when we were using it - maybe a year ago? - it was free for players, but the GM said that he had to have a paid membership to get those campaign-support features, and also had to pay a small fee for each campaign setup. I think Sabredog checked and said it was $40 for Ascendant Membership, which I think is what was needed for the extra GM perks and running a campaign.

Thank you for your help and advice on this topic! :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.