Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   TAS Opinion Polls (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   What are your favourite Imperial sectors? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=39519)

aramis November 1st, 2018 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77topaz (Post 594972)
Really? That's interesting, and it makes me wonder, what is actually the reason those sectors were decanonised? I'm not particularly familiar with them, but just from looking at their maps on TravellerMap I'm guessing they were considered too silly/unrealistic for the setting?

I'm not entirely certain ó but decanonized they were by Atlas of the Imperium. (Speculation: JG didn't want to relinquish copyright at end of license, so they were decanonized. Note that, as recently as 2008, JG still had physical copies in stock... which Hunter got when he bought the rights.

They were neither silly nor bad, but the physical product quality was poor.
Each introduced a few new aliens; none of the aliens had character generation.
The maps showed only star presence, borders, and routes.
The UWP lists were CT-standard pre-Bk6 (so no stellar types).
The blurbs were slightly longer than in CT's two sector books, but only slightly.
There were different encounter tables in a couple of them.
They included rumor tables.
They included color images of several worlds on standard icosahedral projections.

But the paper was low-acid white newsprint-grade. The booklets were coverless, and the map stock was identical weight to the book stock.

whulorigan November 1st, 2018 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77topaz (Post 594965)
  • The Old Expanses being the second most popular option, . . . was a surprise to me. I actually do consider it one of my favourite sectors, but that's just from looking at the Classic Era T5SS data on TravellerMap, and as far as I'm aware this sector was only really prominent in TNE materials. Because of this, the Old Expanses was one of the "first tier" of sectors I'd been considering writing about, though it being the second most popular Imperial sector actually makes me slightly nervous to. :eek: People who voted for the Old Expanses, do you use the Classic Era or TNE version of the sector?

Actually, the Old Expanses was first detailed in the 5 High Passage publications from the early 1980s. It is one of the oldest sectors with published materials and adventures.That is also why the old Black & Red physical copy of the Traveller Map of Charted Space from the early 1980s has Old Expanses as one of the few named sectors labelled on the map.

77topaz November 2nd, 2018 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whulorigan (Post 594978)
Actually, the Old Expanses was first detailed in the 5 High Passage publications from the early 1980s. It is one of the oldest sectors with published materials and adventures.That is also why the old Black & Red physical copy of the Traveller Map of Charted Space from the early 1980s has Old Expanses as one of the few named sectors labelled on the map.

Oh, I see. In that case, the current data from the poll suggests the largest factor in a sector's popularity is simply for how long out-of-universe it has been developed and/or how many publications there have been about it; hence, the sectors that show up as least popular in the poll would be the best first "targets" for the new sector material/books I'd been thinking about, as they would benefit the most from it.

The Pakkrat November 2nd, 2018 12:24 PM

Underdeveloped Sectors

They are not on the list, but Iíve taken the time to develop on the Wiki the following:

Knoellighz, Angfutsag, Gzaefueg, and the two polities of Ksinanirz

Iíve written small bits into:

Gvurrdon, Kharrthon and have an interest in seeing more of Meshan Sectors.

A sector doesnít have to be on the list to be liked or sought after to play in or run games in. This has been a fun poll to respond in though.

77topaz November 2nd, 2018 04:07 PM

Yeah, I just picked Imperial sectors because of the limit on the number of options in posts, and because the Imperium is the most commonly used part of Charted Space. I may might a separate poll for non-Imperial sectors; another poll I might make is for which sector people would most like to see new material.

Golan2072 November 4th, 2018 03:45 PM

My favorite OTU sector is non-Imperial - the Dark Nebula. Solomani-Aslan border. I prefer setting it during the Long Night, with 2nd Imperium successor pocket-empires vs. the nascent Aslan Heirate.

Ulsyus November 16th, 2018 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golan2072 (Post 595116)
My favorite OTU sector is non-Imperial - the Dark Nebula. Solomani-Aslan border. I prefer setting it during the Long Night, with 2nd Imperium successor pocket-empires vs. the nascent Aslan Heirate.

That would be a great setting for a Pocket Empires game!

Golan2072 November 16th, 2018 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulsyus (Post 595571)
That would be a great setting for a Pocket Empires game!

Indeed! That is my intention!

Kilgs November 16th, 2018 08:55 AM

You show your Core biases, blueblood!!

Glimmerdrift FOREVER!!!

aramis November 17th, 2018 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilgs (Post 595575)
You show your Core biases, blueblood!!

Glimmerdrift FOREVER!!!

But which version?;)