Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   TAS Opinion Polls (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   eBooks, What Format Do You Use? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=20559)

dmccoy1693 September 29th, 2009 04:24 PM

eBooks, What Format Do You Use?

I'm considering putting some of my current/upcoming products for Traveller in eBook format in addition to pdf. But... There are ALOT of formats out there and I'd be crazy to try them all at once. So, you tell me, what do you use or plan to use in the near future for a mobile device?

Also, if you buy eBooks online, where do you currently buy them (other than DriveThruRPG/RPGNow)?

Jame September 29th, 2009 04:41 PM

I do not use eBooks, because we do not currently have a hand computer that I view as actually being a hand computer - something that is a computer first, cell phone second and has a screen set up for reading eBooks.

dmccoy1693 September 29th, 2009 04:48 PM

But if you had ... say a book of NPCs in a format designed for your phone, would you use it?

Ishmael September 29th, 2009 08:16 PM

plain .txt when I actually use such things as ebooks

aramis September 29th, 2009 11:26 PM

I use Sony PRS-505. Which means
  • BBeB (.LRF/.LRM)
  • ePub (including DRM)
  • PDF (Including DRM)
  • RTF
  • Text.
Preference is PDF and non-DRM BBeB; converter I've used is calibre, which is freeware.

Hemdian September 30th, 2009 01:29 AM

I also have a Sony PRS-505 and I've been very pleased with it. So much so that my little (40K word so far) Traveller fanfic is a PDF sized for it ... and using the PRS-505's default font (Dutch801 Rm BT). In other words it's optimised for the PRS-505 but still readable on PCs and others devices.

(There's now a link to the fanfic from my recently revamped homepage.)

Merxiless September 30th, 2009 04:28 AM

I only do Traveller work on my Desktop PC at home, so I have access to my library.

I buy regularly from DrivethruRPG, and such so .pdf full size.

I'm never going to get one of those readers or blackberries or whatever little deals they got out now.

Jame September 30th, 2009 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmccoy1693 (Post 331918)
But if you had ... say a book of NPCs in a format designed for your phone, would you use it?

No. First, my phone is too primitive, and second, I'd rather have a laptop for this.

Hemdian September 30th, 2009 12:39 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't use a phone for this either, the screen would be too small. One thing I like about the Sony ereader (and I assume this is the case for all the other ereaders too) is that you can sit outside in strong sunlight and its just as readable. Try doing that with an ordinary laptop!

But what I'm waiting for is Plastic Logic's ereader ... US Letter size screen, compatable with PDF, MS Word, Excel, etc.

aramis September 30th, 2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemdian (Post 331988)
Yeah, I wouldn't use a phone for this either, the screen would be too small. One thing I like about the Sony ereader (and I assume this is the case for all the other ereaders too) is that you can sit outside in strong sunlight and its just as readable. Try doing that with an ordinary laptop!

But what I'm waiting for is Plastic Logic's ereader ... US Letter size screen, compatable with PDF, MS Word, Excel, etc.

Late Spring, Hemidan, late spring. It's the one I want, too.