Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Imperial Interstellar Scout Service (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Common History and Culture (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=31441)

GrayPennell November 21st, 2013 01:36 AM

Common History and Culture

If you were a young adult in the 3rd Imperium circa 1105 what five historical events would you be taught or share with others? An example would be the psionic suppression. Any more?

rancke November 21st, 2013 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrayPennell (Post 458453)
If you were a young adult in the 3rd Imperium circa 1105 what five historical events would you be taught or share with others? An example would be the psionic suppression. Any more?

Founding of the Imperium
Civil War
Solomani Rim War

The fifth one I'm not sure about. The Zhodani skirmishes are too remote and inconsequential for anyone outside the Domain of Deneb.

EDIT: The Pacification Campaigns.

Hans

MCEvans November 21st, 2013 02:49 AM

The fifth (or more) would be of more local, domain centered
Deneb - Fronter Wars
Antares - Julian War
Vland - Vargr Campaigns & Vlani Pacification Campaigns
Ilelish - Aslan Border wars, Ilelish Revolt & Pacification Campaigns
Sylea - Pacification Campaigns

Alien Culture - would be "colored" by location
Deneb is is going to be neutral to negative on Vargr & Aslan very negative on the Zho and very neutral on the Solis, Hivers & K'kree
In the Sol domain Zho's are at worst neutrally treated "the Confederation Nut's are the real threat to the 3I"
Gateway "We need a large fleet to keep the K'kree at bay or else."

Just Ideas:D

timerover51 November 21st, 2013 03:29 AM

1. Terra develops the Jump Drive.

2. The glorious victory of Terra over the hopelessly decadent Vilani genetic mongrels.

3. The immense spread of Solomani culture during the Rule of Man.

4. The confirmation by the Third Imperium that Terra is the source of all of the human species in the area of known space.

5. The hideous aggression of the Imperium against the Solomani Confederation and the horrible atrocities committed during the brutal conquest of Terra.

McPerth November 21st, 2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rancke (Post 458454)
Founding of the Imperium
Civil War
Solomani Rim War

The fifth one I'm not sure about. The Zhodani skirmishes are too remote and inconsequential for anyone outside the Domain of Deneb.

EDIT: The Pacification Campaigns.

Wouldn't Pacification Wars enter into the Founding of the Imperium?

I asume the founding of the Imperium would englobe its enlargement up to the courrent size (maybe Behind the Claw excluded, as it was explored/settled latter), so Julian War and Pacification Wars would be part of it.

grondak November 21st, 2013 10:53 PM

Everyone knows about Sylea and the Vilani.
Everyone knows about the Imperial Surveys.
Everyone knows the Xboat system and the speed of jump constrains the speed of news.
Everyone has a local knowledge of the history of their home planet (nee chargen Knowledges in T5)
Everyone has a local knowledge of the most recent wars or battles on their world or area.

Okay so it's not all imperial history but it's still relevant.

GrayPennell November 23rd, 2013 04:29 PM

I been watching these come across and I noticed we know very little about the Imperium. Probably explains why we have had the same debate...small ship vs large ship Imperium for decades now. You would think with thousands of years of history we would know more details. Heck with decades of writing we should know something. So to try and help writers out I am starting a new thread. I wish it was a discussion area like First Contacts but who knows. The new thread is Imperium culture. Here people can post colorful stories about things within the Imperium just pick a place and time period and go for it.

rancke November 23rd, 2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrayPennell (Post 458778)
I been watching these come across and I noticed we know very little about the Imperium. Probably explains why we have had the same debate...small ship vs large ship Imperium for decades now.

No, the small ship vs large ship in the Imperium debate comes down to some people refusing to accept that the small ship Imperium was retconned into a large ship Imperium quite early in the CT days and has never been retconned back.

Actually, I'm not sure there are any who refuse to accept it. The discussions I remember center on whether a small or large ship universe is the better idea.

Quote:

You would think with thousands of years of history we would know more details. Heck with decades of writing we should know something.
We do know something. Quite a lot, actually. It's just that the subject is so vast that "quite a lot" is still only a minuscule part of the total.

Quote:

So to try and help writers out I am starting a new thread. I wish it was a discussion area like First Contacts but who knows. The new thread is Imperium culture. Here people can post colorful stories about things within the Imperium just pick a place and time period and go for it.
Excellent idea. There has been such a thread over on the SJG forums for quite a while now and it runs into hundreds of posts. I'd provide a link, but the SJG boards are stuffed up at the moment.

EDIT: Here's the link: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=83884

Hans

david.wendelken November 24th, 2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grondak (Post 458556)
Everyone knows about Sylea and the Vilani.
Everyone knows about the Imperial Surveys.
Everyone knows the Xboat system and the speed of jump constrains the speed of news.
Everyone has a local knowledge of the history of their home planet (nee chargen Knowledges in T5)
Everyone has a local knowledge of the most recent wars or battles on their world or area.

Okay so it's not all imperial history but it's still relevant.

Wow, the 3rd Imperium is doing WAY better on eduation than the USA is.

80% of my wife's college students haven't been able to correctly (using either de facto or de jure justification) answer whether the USA is at war and, if so, where.

We live in a military town, most of the 20% who know the answer are either in the military or married to a military member.

Hemdian November 24th, 2013 01:54 PM

I'm not sure everyone would be given a proper education in this regard. Since the 3I rules the space between worlds and those worlds are domestically autonomous, it's up to each world's government how integrated their populations are with the 3I 'mainstream'.

That being said, for an integrated citizen in 1105 it would also vary slightly based on location (as MCEvans said). If they were in the Spinward Marches then I'd go with ...
  • The founding of the 3I
  • The assassination of Cleon III
  • The Civil War
  • The Solomani Rim War
  • The Fourth Frontier War
Of course apart from these five events there would also be some coverage of 3I precursors (1I and 2I), a brief bit on the Ancients (though little is known), and chapters on the xboat system, the peerage, Emperor Strephon, settlement of the Spinward Marches, and an introduction to the other major polities of known space (including the Sword Worlds and the Darrian Confederation). I think the Psionic Suppressions would get a mention but would be downplayed.