Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Random Static (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Plant-Based "Meat" (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=40220)

timerover51 July 24th, 2019 04:24 AM

Plant-Based "Meat"

I can remember eating soybean hamburgers in college, mainly because not a lot else was available at lunch, and generally the hot dogs vanished quite fast. I never grew fond of them, and would not spend a penny now or then to buy one to eat.

Now, I keep seeing online this new "meat" made entirely from plants, specifically a genetically modified soybean. I use the word "meat" in quotes, as I view meat as coming from an animal, be it mammal, reptile, fish, fowl, or crustacean. I also include squid in that category, as I like it, along with alligator, hence the inclusion of "reptile" in the meat category. Now, some of these critters consume plants along what way of producing meat, so you could claim that their meat is plant-based. However, a lot of the fish that I eat does not eat vegetation, but other fish.

What I am puzzled by is that this stuff is made using genetically modified soybeans, when a lot of foods are loudly proclaimed to be non-GMO, or grown free from any antibiotics, hormones, and are organically grown. This stuff is about as far away from that as you can get I just cannot hear any screams from the No GMO foods crowd about this.

I have no intentions of ever trying one of the so-called "hamburgers", but will stick with Chick-fil-A, Portillos Italian Beef and Chicago-Style Hot Dogs (I had two for supper tonight), all-you-can-eat Friday Night Fish Frys, and Steak-and-Shake steak burgers. I should not overlook by wife's meat loaf and chili, or her way of fixing spiral-cut ham. Delicious. Then of course, turkey. She also makes a mean tuna salad. I will remain a happy carnivore, thank you.

Shadow Shack July 24th, 2019 05:12 AM

With all this plant based "meat" out there, why can't they make a meat based vegetable?

Seriously, vegetables are what food eats.

Condottiere July 24th, 2019 05:34 AM

Three dee printer.

Your steak can be as thicc as your preference runs.

AndyW July 24th, 2019 06:27 AM

I would approve of bean burgers, but only because I grow soybeans. ;)

I seem to remember eating one once, and being unimpressed, but I imagine that they are getting better. We could give it a cool marketing name like...soylent, and since the consumer likes variety, we'll make it available in a variety of colors.

aramis July 24th, 2019 01:48 PM

While I am definitely omnivorous, and love a good steak...

I've found two meatless patties I enjoy. Morningstar Farms has several that, while not tasting like meat, have similar texture, taste good to me, and can be grilled, fried, or microwaved.

flykiller July 24th, 2019 03:32 PM

Quote:

cannot hear any screams from the No GMO foods crowd about this
try looking into who controls the "no gmo foods" crowd, and then look into who owns this "beyond meat" thing.

infojunky July 24th, 2019 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 604670)
While I am definitely omnivorous, and love a good steak...

I just put some cheap ass round steak in to marinade for dinner tonight, Oh look I have some fewash sweet corn on the cob to go with....

infojunky July 24th, 2019 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 604671)
try looking into who controls the "no gmo foods" crowd, and then look into who owns this "beyond meat" thing.

Yep they all come from the same fuzzy science school.

vegas July 24th, 2019 08:23 PM

@tr

I recommend you try an Impossible Burger before you denigrate them. I had one at the ballpark today. I think you will find them indistinguishable from beef, though they may not be the best hamburgers you have ever had. (Think Costco patty not high-end burger)

At a minimum you should have one so you know what your Travellers are eating.

@fly & tr & others

No conspiracy theory needed. Impossible gets plenty of flack from the anti-GMO crowd. A quick google search would demonstrate that.

Understand that the "secret sauce" for Impossible burgers is GMO yeast that they ferment to make their product taste like beef. Most of their product uses non-GMO soy, but to keep up with demand/keep costs down they began to add GMO soy this year.

flykiller July 24th, 2019 08:53 PM

Quote:

I think you will find them indistinguishable from beef
last christmas morning I was driving past the local mcdonald's at 0700. it was packed, cars lined up around the entire facility trying to get their sawdust "burgers". whatever it is they taint that fake stuff with to make people line up to pay money for it, I think I'll avoid it.