Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Random Static (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Maverick (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=40209)

Spenser TR July 19th, 2019 07:35 AM

Maverick

Just caught the first trailer for the 2020 Top Gun sequel.

When people mentioned it was happening, Id roll my eyes. When I saw the trailer however... some bell deep inside rang pretty well.

Was it nostalgia/my age showing? My love of shots of fighter jets doing fighter jet stuff? The music or characters? Not sure. All that and more, I guess. The people who put that trailer together (and the movie, obviously) make serious re-use of a lot of familiar themes. Most of the time Id put that down as lazy writing.

But for me, somehow, this works really well. Link to the trailer on YouTube

Reban July 19th, 2019 07:38 AM

How many promotion rolls did Maverick miss to still only be a Captain all these decades later?

Also a glimpse of a Tomcat flying at the end. Only one place with snowy mountains and valleys flying them still.... but that's a discussion for the Pit.

Shadow Shack July 19th, 2019 12:15 PM

Realism be damned, the first one was chock full of hokey religions and ancient weapons too. Re: jet wash :rofl:

Personally I'm looking forward to Val Kilmer's return to the big screen after all he's been through.

wbuthod July 19th, 2019 04:09 PM

"That's ADMIRAL Iceman (ret'd) to you, Maverick"

Barrel July 19th, 2019 09:32 PM

I feel the need, the need for speed.

nobby-w July 20th, 2019 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reban (Post 604480)
How many promotion rolls did Maverick miss to still only be a Captain all these decades later?

Navy. Captain is a pretty senior rank in naval circles, considerably more so than in the army - unless I'm missing something about how the USN does ranks for its flyboys.

And the Maverick character from the original Top Gun is - not to put too fine a point on it - a bit of a knob. He might have grown up substantially after getting his co-pilot killed but it's not implausible that the brass might see someone like that as 'not flag rank material.'

Condottiere July 20th, 2019 05:37 PM

Carrier Air Group commander?

Presidential Aide de Camp?

Naval Attache, where he regularly disguises himself to throw off the host country's counter intelligence, and then goes on high octane high speed chases and breaks in secure locations?

aramis July 20th, 2019 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reban (Post 604480)

Also a glimpse of a Tomcat flying at the end. Only one place with snowy mountains and valleys flying them still.... but that's a discussion for the Pit.

let's see... 1986 to 2020? 34 years?
He's a full LT in the movies (O3), that's at least 3 years after college, and college ROTC is 4 years (even if your degree is done in 3), except at NMMI. ANd you have to be 18 to sign contract for NROTC.

So, 1986 - he's at least 25. Probably 26 or 27. Commander at 20 years in service is forced out. By law, not just regulation. (Up or out for officers is part of law since the 1970's or before; exceptions can be granted in critical fields.)
So 50 years old, and still in? He's had to spend some time in the reserves (who are not required to up or out) for at least 20 years.

(I did a deep dive on US Ranks and promotions a few years back.)

Reban July 21st, 2019 04:27 AM

Working theory:

Maverick was the CO of (or senior officer responsible for) Electronic Attack Squadron 130.....

Warning: link to the Navy Times article which contains material that some may find NSFW.

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...nto-sky-penis/

BlackBat242 July 21st, 2019 07:17 AM

OK, a point concerning Mav's unusually-long career (33 years since the first movie came out, plus 2+ years simply going through Naval Aviator training...)

US law* requires any O-6 (USA/USAF/USMC Colonel, USN Capt.) to either have been selected for promotion to General/Admiral rank by 30 years active service or meet a couple of very special exemptions. If not, then they are forced to retire!

And since Mav obviously is not a permanent professor at the Naval Academy, nor an LDO (career Naval Aviators are automatically full duty officers), then he should have been forced out of the military 5 years ago - unless he did indeed take some time off, either leaving the service altogether or entering the Reserves for a few years (and actually not doing significant "activated" time).

Or if he somehow has picked up a military specialty that makes the SecNav write him a personal exemption... Maverick, what HAVE you gotten into?

Or managed to get a selection board to give him an extension... OK, what dirt did you get on the board members?

* Title 10 of the U.S. Code, Section 634, Paragraph (a)
Quote:

(a)30 Years of Active Commissioned Service.—

Except as provided in subsection (b) and as provided under section 637(b) or 637a of this title, each officer of the Regular Army, Regular Air Force, or Regular Marine Corps who holds the regular grade of colonel, and each officer of the Regular Navy who holds the regular grade of captain, who is not on a list of officers recommended for promotion to the regular grade of brigadier general or rear admiral (lower half), respectively, shall, if not earlier retired, be retired on the first day of the month after the month in which he completes 30 years of active commissioned service.

(b)Exceptions.—Subsection (a) does not apply to the following:

(1) An officer of the Navy who is designated for limited duty to whom section 8372(a)(4) of this title applies.

(2) An officer of the Navy or Marine Corps who is a permanent professor at the United States Naval Academy.

Title 10 of the U.S. Code, Section 637, Paragraph (a)

Quote:

In General.—
The Secretary of the military department concerned may authorize an officer in a grade above grade O–2 to remain on active duty after the date otherwise provided for the retirement of the officer in section 632, 633, 634, 635, or 636 of this title, as applicable, if the officer has a military occupational specialty, rating, or specialty code in a military specialty designated pursuant to subsection (b).

(b)Military Specialties.—
Each Secretary of a military department shall designate the military specialties in which a military occupational specialty, rating, or specialty code, as applicable, assigned to members of the armed forces under the jurisdiction of such Secretary authorizes the members to be eligible for continuation on active duty as provided in subsection (a).

(c)Duration of Continuation.—
An officer continued on active duty pursuant to this section shall, if not earlier retired, be retired on the first day of the month after the month in which the officer completes 40 years of active service.
Title 10 of the U.S. Code, Section 637, Paragraph (b)

Quote:

(1) An officer subject to retirement under section 633 or 634 of this title may, subject to the needs of the service, have his retirement deferred and be continued on active duty if he is selected for continuation on active duty by a selection board convened under section 611(b) of this title.