Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Random Static (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   JJ Abrams Star Wars' movies (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=39391)

Blue Ghost September 14th, 2018 05:01 PM

JJ Abrams Star Wars' movies

So, in the same vein as my JJ Abrams' Trek movies, I'm wondering what people think of how Abrams brought about his Star Wars' films.

For those who know me and have read my blog, I'm not a Star Wars' fan, but really liked the first films as a kid, and still think they're fine movies as an adult. But these new films really do seem lack luster.

Why do you think that is?

Blue Ghost September 15th, 2018 10:19 PM

Wow, nobody has any thoughts on this.

Years back I remember George Lucas stating the last three films would not get made. Not ever. And I remember him saying he had them outlined years before that interview.

Personally I'm not too interested in the events he penned, but, I am curious as to whether these latest SW offerings are from his mind or Abrams, or, more likely, some elixir of the two.

I am kind of curious if either of these guys will talk about it at some point.

mike wightman September 16th, 2018 03:51 AM

I have lots of thoughts on it but board rules mean I can not vent them. Suffice to say I believe management/producer decisions about the 'tone' of the movies had ruined them for me.

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed watching them once - Rogue One remains my favourite film from the new crop with Solo coming in second. But once the initial thrill of the new movie is gone the re-watch potential is limited.

Stuff I can post.

The plot is stupid - the whole point of the original trilogy was the rebels won and Vader was redeemed.
The treatment of the original trilogy characters is despicable.

The new characters are... bland market research caricatures.

I will go and see the final film in the new trilogy but I do not have high hopes for it.

Blue Ghost September 16th, 2018 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 592915)
I have lots of thoughts on it but board rules mean I can not vent them. Suffice to say I believe management/producer decisions about the 'tone' of the movies had ruined them for me.

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed watching them once - Rogue One remains my favourite film from the new crop with Solo coming in second. But once the initial thrill of the new movie is gone the re-watch potential is limited.

Stuff I can post.

The plot is stupid - the whole point of the original trilogy was the rebels won and Vader was redeemed.

The new characters are... bland market research caricatures.

I will go and see the final film in the new trilogy but I do not have high hopes for it.

PM me. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

ovka September 18th, 2018 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Ghost (Post 592894)
Years back I remember George Lucas stating the last three films would not get made. Not ever. And I remember him saying he had them outlined years before that interview.

Going from memory, so I could be wrong, but I think he said that because it took him 10 years to make the first 3, and he didn't want to devote 30 years of his life to the SW movies.

Cheers,

Baron Ovka

BRJN September 18th, 2018 10:52 AM

I've gotten the impression that Disney is trying to torment the Original Trilogy characters into oblivion with Ep7 and Ep8.

Maybe some future director can have middle-aged Luke Skywalker wake up from a Force-induced dream (composed of flashback scenes from Ep7-9) and realize, "I've got to get a move on, the Dark Side is afoot." Then he sets out to rally his old allies and recruit a new generation of heroes.
The New Republic is something worth protecting and improving. At its best, it is a beacon of hope. It also has a seamy side to struggle with.
Luke has left a trail of apprentices, some of whom are going to be Jedi legends, some of whom are local "pillars of the community", some of whom are disappointments, some are failures.
Leia has been training statesmen, like Luke trains Jedi. With the same spectrum of results.
Han / Chewie (and Lando) have made contacts with businessmen - legit and not, small and large, old players and newcomers, economic builders and economic exploiters.
This should provide enough cast to make interesting new heroes.

whartung September 18th, 2018 01:49 PM

I saw SW:The Force Awakens 4 times in the theater.

That makes it a successful movie in my book, for whatever reasons.

Last movie I saw more than once in a theater was "300" (saw that twice).

The worst line in TFA was Solo's "Okay. How do we blow it up? There's always a way to do that.", as it in many ways it's summarizes the cliche of the entire movie.

That said, the best line in the movie was when Rey said (and how she said) "This is the Millennium Falcon? You're Han Solo?".

That, also, summarized the bright side of the movie. THIS IS STAR WARS!

I have it on DVD, rewatched it a couple of times. Yup, still like this movie. Holds up for me.

Saw Rogue One, I like that movie -- not as much as TFA, but it was good. I like how it ends just as SW starts.

Saw Last Jedi in the theater, just once. It's on Netflix, haven't made the time to watch it again. I don't hate it, it just wasn't the thrill TFA was. Kylo Ren has issues, boy howdy. I thought he was well done in LJ.

Have not seen Solo. It'll show up on Apple TV inevitably. Wanted to see it, but the time never worked out (seeing a movie is a real pain today).

Whenever Star Wars 9 comes out, I'll go see it. I'm just going to go, don't care about the reviews, don't really care about the story. Rey and Kylo Ren can carry it. So, I'll go see it.

I will not be seeing any of the Avatar movies, not in the theater. I have low expectations of them.

Barrel September 18th, 2018 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 592915)

This! This! A thousand times this!

As I watched it when Kylo Ren says to Rey that you should kill the past, I realized this is what Rian Johnson was doing with the franchise. I was 10 when the original Star Wars came out; I must have seen it 20 times in the theater. I honestly doubt I will see the next movie; I'm done giving Disney money to kill Star Wars and wear its dead skin like the bug alien form Men in Black.

Condottiere September 18th, 2018 08:21 PM

Problem is, the original trilogy actually completed the cycle,and the Prequels gave the background, so there's nothing really more to say.

The Force Awakens is a rehash of A New Hope, and after the first fifteen minutes, dead boring. Maybe have the after credit scene Luke toss the light saber over his shoulder, ala Marvel.

You can dispute whether Johnson is a good director, but it's obvious that Kennedy should not have given him the Last Jedi to showrun, though it may have been interesting to see what he could have done with Solo, since he wants to subvert our expectations.

I think Disney has realized it's lost a lot of the inbuilt fanbase, because most appear to have stopped commenting and/or complaining, since they're no longer interested.

kilemall September 18th, 2018 10:15 PM

Now, part of this is 'there is never another first time'. Things that are now tropes were fresh and original the first time Lucas took us there.

But.

Those stories also had characters, good and evil, big consequences, at least two brand new worlds in each movie, a connection to historical struggles, and a universe that worked a certain way that was unveiled step by step.

They trashed the reason for all those struggles, did hackneyed modern day Hollywood characterization (IMO political and we'll leave it at that), went Mary Sue, and in general ruined the franchise by not understanding feeling or respecting a damn thing about it.

IMO Disney already had a crew that PROVED they could do Star Wars right in their sleep- the people who did REBELS. Give them the movies, and all would have been well.