Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   TAS Opinion Polls (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   How many subsectors have you hand-created from scratch? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=39452)

robject October 8th, 2018 02:14 PM

How many subsectors have you hand-created from scratch?

Traveller has a toolkit mentality, right? From the beginning, you could roll the same sort of subsector that the publishers rolled up. I mean, this may be a bigger thing than you might think, so I'll repeat it.

From the beginning, you could roll the same sort of subsector that the publishers rolled up.

Think about it.

Anyway, how many subsectors have you created, by hand, from scratch, starting from a completely and totally blank subsector grid?

BRJN October 8th, 2018 02:23 PM

I found four partially- or wholly- complete subsector UWPs (or text notes on worlds) in my Traveller notebook. None of them are meant to interact with each other.

That doesn't include anything I threw out over the years, whether because I didn't like it, it got all wet after a storm, &c.

Ptah October 8th, 2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robject (Post 593973)
Traveller has a toolkit mentality, right? From the beginning, you could roll the same sort of subsector that the publishers rolled up. I mean, this may be a bigger thing than you might think, so I'll repeat it.

From the beginning, you could roll the same sort of subsector that the publishers rolled up.

Think about it.

Anyway, how many subsectors have you created, by hand, from scratch, starting from a completely and totally blank subsector grid?

I believe I got Traveller Christmas '78. I spent the next three days generating sectors. Generated 1 sector plus many surrounding sub sectors, still use the core sector to this day, although have modified the stellar primary types to reflect more M type stars and added in a few of my own "stellar types".

Enoki October 8th, 2018 02:38 PM

I've only created a few. As of late I've been increasing the amount of stuff I have done on the sectors and subsectors of the known Traveller space map. My view is "Why reinvent the wheel?"

There's plenty of stuff in that map that hasn't been touched. The Spinward Marches has been done to death by comparison.

agorski October 8th, 2018 03:02 PM

In testing my recent iOS SectorMaker app, I created quite a few!

Whipsnade October 8th, 2018 03:22 PM

I chose more than 16 because we didn't own any published subsectors for years.

IIRC, the first published subsector I saw was in A:1 Kinunir and the first published sector was in The Spinward Marches Campaign. I owned SMC for a few years before I saw S:3.

aramis October 8th, 2018 04:04 PM

5 by hand.

about 200 when testing Rob Prior's excellent tool for MacOS 9... just before Mac OSX launched, and made it incompatible.

ffilz October 8th, 2018 04:26 PM

Why the emphasis on by hand? Even back in the late 70s if I had got big into Traveller I might well have written a program to roll up UWPs (I had access to computers and printers at my high school).

I have rolled world placement and star port by hand for several sub-sectors even in the past two years (and I'm sure at least one or two back in the day). I rolled at least some UWPs for those recent sub-sectors by hand.

My current campaign runs in about 3 sub-sectors worth of space. I hand rolled star ports and space lanes, but a computer generated all the UWPs for me. I've done tweaking by hand.

I've not answered the poll because there really isn't a good answer for me.

Frank

nobby-w October 8th, 2018 05:33 PM

Back when I were a lad I rolled up a whole sector. That was quite hard work in the end. Plus, I've rolled up quite a few subsectors in clusters of one or two.

Then I got a computer and worked out that you could automate it. Never looked back, although they often got the attention of a text editor.

Timerover51 October 8th, 2018 06:37 PM

I have one just about done for my Piper-Norton Out Rim sector, with 5 partially done. I am not sure what you mean by hand, as I am starting to work with Agorski's Sectormaker tool. However, I am using that as a starting point, and then changing each subsector around as needed. Does that count by hand then?