Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Play by Post - OOC (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   [CT Only] atpollard's PbP Traveller OOC (Tihomir Danailov) (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=38063)

atpollard August 9th, 2017 05:39 PM

[CT Only] atpollard's PbP Traveller OOC (Tihomir Danailov)
 
Tihomir "Silent world" Danailov [M] (age 22 - born 1393.77) - [697AA8] - (Coaster Syndicate: Manpower Unlimited):

STR = 6
DEX = 9
END = 7
INT = 10
EDU = 8(+2)* = 10
SOC = 8

Admin-0
Blade Cbt-2*
Computer-0
Survival-0
Brawling-2*
Bribery-0
Carousing-0
Demolition-0
Electronic-0
Forgery-0
Gambling-0
Gun Cbt-0
Interrogation-0
Jack-o-T-0
Liaison-1
Mechanical-0
Medical-1
Streetwise-0
Vehicle (Flying)-0
Vehicle (Tracked)-0

* Term 1: Muster = +2 EDU.
* Term 2: working on improving Blade Cbt-1 and Brawling-1.

Events from your career:
age 18: tested your END; apprenticed with a Diplomat (gain Liaison-0 and Interrogation-0)
age 19: lots of Brawling; work with Desert Path (gain Survival-0 or Bow Cbt-0)
age 20: involved in Gambling; work with a WIG Pilot (gain Survival-0 or Carousing-0)
age 21: involved in Forgery; work with a Bureaucrat employing your Brawling and Interrogation skills (gain Admin-0)
age 22: used Blade, Bribery and Gambling to deal with changes in Government; work with rebels (gain Demolition-0)

He obviously uncovered foreign agents that left no proof, learned to survive the desert from the dwellers, practiced drinking with the best, and the inner workings of administration with the most corrupt. And then he planted some IEDs as part of a political struggle...

EQUIPMENT:
sword (Cr 1000)
balisong (Cr 100)
10 mm gun with laser sights (Cr 300) - smart tech: fingerprint safety
HandComp/tablet (Cr 300)
med/survival kit (Cr 500)
lighter & water/dust proof shock-resistant clock (Cr 50)
Cash in billfold (Cr 250)

atpollard August 9th, 2017 05:40 PM

Quote:

...wait, is Recon-1 or Stealth-1 an option? If yes, I'd take it, if not, make it Blade -1
Not in your career path. They are more Military skills. (I would use the term Recon for the skill in general and replaced the Forward Observer with Recon on the Army and Marine CT Chargen tables. They are related based on the job description.) So you can try to learn it moving forward as a goal for the character. Recon-0 mostly requires someone to teach you and some time to learn.

Quote:

Does JoT-0 even do anything? I thought it's just removing penalties for unskilled actions...
I view each skill-1 like about 2 years of training and experience on a job, so about 4000 hours worth of life experiences. Vehicle-1 might mean that you worked for a couple years driving a Taxi or that you were a trucker for military convoys. I let the player, his career and his story tell me what the skill means within that broad guideline. However, that means that the skill Vehicle-1 is appropriate for any task or situation where those 4000 hours of life experiences might be applicable. Car breaks down because of poor maintenance, the Character rolls Vehicle-1 to fix a leaky radiator hose with duct tape like he did when driving a convoy in the Army. The repair will last until a real mechanic can replace the part.
Using that criteria, JoT needs to be viewed a little different. So I like to use it as a 'Macgyver' skill. A chance to come up with a solution that would not belong to any other skill. In the radiator hose crisis, you have no duct tape, but the character with JoT-1 remembers working as a courier on a low tech world and some medic made superglue out of a Styrofoam cup and some gasoline, perhaps that would allow us to fix the tear in the hose? ... So JoT is used to come up with a solution that fits no other skill, but you can come up with a plausible story for. :)

Quote:

Skills: (add 4 skill levels earned in term 1 and pick 2 more skill levels that you are actively working on increasing in term 2) [max skill-2] [*=skill learned working outside your career]
So you have 3 skills picked and need 1 more permanent skill from Term 1 and 2 more skill levels that you are learning in Term 2. [you can use all 6 skill levels now, but 4 are set and 2 can be changed over the next few years.]

AsenRG August 9th, 2017 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atpollard (Post 571235)
Not in your career path. They are more Military skills. (I would use the term Recon for the skill in general and replaced the Forward Observer with Recon on the Army and Marine CT Chargen tables. They are related based on the job description.) So you can try to learn it moving forward as a goal for the character. Recon-0 mostly requires someone to teach you and some time to learn.

Does that mean I can set them as the two "skills-in-training"? If yes, I'd get Stealth-1 and Recon-1, a man's gotta live up to his name:).
If not, let's make them Blade Combat-2 and Brawling-2, a man needs to improve!

And for my last "already learned it" point, let's make that Medical-1, because someone needs to be able to patch up the "family members" (and knowledge of pharmaceuticals makes total sense).

Quote:

I view each skill-1 like about 2 years of training and experience on a job, so about 4000 hours worth of life experiences. Vehicle-1 might mean that you worked for a couple years driving a Taxi or that you were a trucker for military convoys. I let the player, his career and his story tell me what the skill means within that broad guideline. However, that means that the skill Vehicle-1 is appropriate for any task or situation where those 4000 hours of life experiences might be applicable. Car breaks down because of poor maintenance, the Character rolls Vehicle-1 to fix a leaky radiator hose with duct tape like he did when driving a convoy in the Army. The repair will last until a real mechanic can replace the part.
Using that criteria, JoT needs to be viewed a little different. So I like to use it as a 'Macgyver' skill. A chance to come up with a solution that would not belong to any other skill. In the radiator hose crisis, you have no duct tape, but the character with JoT-1 remembers working as a courier on a low tech world and some medic made superglue out of a Styrofoam cup and some gasoline, perhaps that would allow us to fix the tear in the hose? ... So JoT is used to come up with a solution that fits no other skill, but you can come up with a plausible story for. :)
Makes sense to me - but you see why I had to ask, too;).

atpollard August 10th, 2017 10:36 AM

[roll0] = Muster Benefit (term 1) = +2 Education
[roll1] = Starting Cash = Biter Credits 500,000 (in safe at your townhouse in Ifningholm)

You have Cr 2500 worth of personal effects (knife, jewlery, etc.) with you limited to TL 8 max [local manufacture].

AsenRG August 10th, 2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atpollard (Post 571268)
[roll0] = Muster Benefit (term 1) = +2 Education
[roll1] = Starting Cash = Biter Credits 500,000 (in safe at your townhouse in Ifningholm)

You have Cr 2500 worth of personal effects (knife, jewlery, etc.) with you limited to TL 8 max [local manufacture].

+2 Education is rather good!
Do I need to detail the personal effects? If so, I'd hope a medkit would be cheap enough to count;).

atpollard August 10th, 2017 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsenRG (Post 571270)
+2 Education is rather good!
Do I need to detail the personal effects? If so, I'd hope a medkit would be cheap enough to count;).

You don't need to, but you can list anything you think is significant for the character.

Cr 2500 = 10000 US dollars = 8500 euros = 17000 Bulgarian levs

So do you wear a Rolex? Have a pearl-handled switchblade? You are probably assumed to be wearing a custom tailored suit. Do you have a fancy ring?

Or does your character just blend in?

As far as general equipment, I tend to assume that a character has the tools needed to use his leveled skills, so someone with Medic-1 probably has some sort of med-kit.

Someone with blade-2 probably has some sort of knife. You tell me if it is special, otherwise, I assume that it is just a common blade.

Brawling-2 just requires your fists, unless you specifically tell me that you have brass knuckles in your pocket. Then they are just common brass knuckles unless you tell me that you have gold plated brass knuckles inlaid with your family name.

So that is how it works. I don't penalize people for "forgetting to pack torches for the dungeon", this is more an opportunity for you to customize the character if you wanted.

atpollard August 10th, 2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsenRG (Post 571270)
+2 Education is rather good!

Most classes get Muster rolls for Terms and for Rank. "Other" does not get Rank, so it (you) gets fewer Muster rolls. The Scout career has no Rank and seemed to offer more money and +2 INT or +2 EDU, so I chose to use the Scout +2 EDU Muster benefit rather than the Other +1 EDU Muster benefit.

Leitz August 10th, 2017 12:14 PM

Higher Edu plays well for concept, too. Remember our definition of blade includes sword.

AsenRG August 10th, 2017 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atpollard (Post 571273)
You don't need to, but you can list anything you think is significant for the character.

Cr 2500 = 10000 US dollars = 8500 euros = 17000 Bulgarian levs

So do you wear a Rolex? Have a pearl-handled switchblade? You are probably assumed to be wearing a custom tailored suit. Do you have a fancy ring?

Or does your character just blend in?

As far as general equipment, I tend to assume that a character has the tools needed to use his leveled skills, so someone with Medic-1 probably has some sort of med-kit.

Someone with blade-2 probably has some sort of knife. You tell me if it is special, otherwise, I assume that it is just a common blade.

Brawling-2 just requires your fists, unless you specifically tell me that you have brass knuckles in your pocket. Then they are just common brass knuckles unless you tell me that you have gold plated brass knuckles inlaid with your family name.

So that is how it works. I don't penalize people for "forgetting to pack torches for the dungeon", this is more an opportunity for you to customize the character if you wanted.

No exotic-looking weapons, he's been taught that from an early age. "If you use a weapon, you might have to dispose of the weapon. Don't use weapons you'd be sorry to dispose of".
His weapons are a sword, a balisong, and no brass knuckles except improvised ones. (It's easier to improvise when you train with cutting weapons, after all, and he's also been taught not to pull an weapon unless he intends to kill).
Now, what he has is guaranteed to be of the highest quality...
And I could as well stop here, because a replica sword can get to EU8,5k with no gold plating:). Trust me, I know...and if you want to get a concave saber of damascus steel (Sica), I can set you up for a mere 800 EU before shipping;)! (It's more expensive if you don't know the swordsmith personally).

OK, I'd be more conservative, and go for a mere Cr1k for the sword, and Cr 100 for the balisong. Another 300 Credits or so should be enough for a smart 10 mm gun with laser sights, right?
("When I was small, I used to carry a gun locked to my fingerprints".
"And now?"
"Care to try taking away my gun? It's in the holster."
"I think I got your point, no need for experiments!")

It's his tablet that's last scream of the technical ability, instead. He has no plans to kill anyone with it, nor is he doing anything more illegal than watching porn:devil:. So...no lists in front of me, can we say another 300 Credits?
That gets us to 1700 credits, and I think I'd just devote 500 credits to a combo med/survival kit, 50 Credits to personal effects like lighter, water/dust proof shock-resistant clock (Rolexes break a lot when you parry with them) and the like, and keep the 250 credits for small change.
Let me know if the prices are wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by atpollard (Post 571274)
Most classes get Muster rolls for Terms and for Rank. "Other" does not get Rank, so it (you) gets fewer Muster rolls. The Scout career has no Rank and seemed to offer more money and +2 INT or +2 EDU, so I chose to use the Scout +2 EDU Muster benefit rather than the Other +1 EDU Muster benefit.

Well, that explains it. I didn't even realise we're using the "other" career! I'm familiar with more versions, but I'm most used to MgT, where Rogue is its own career.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leitz (Post 571275)
Higher Edu plays well for concept, too. Remember our definition of blade includes sword.

Oh, I agree on the concept - and thanks for the reminder:D!

Leitz August 10th, 2017 04:11 PM

Sort of funny vibe: "College Boy" frequently called to help as a "Family Man".

"Uncle Vito, I have a chemistry exam to study for."

"No problem! Meet Loter for supper, kill him, then back to the dorm for study. What's the issue?'


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.