Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Traveller Wargames (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Anyone Using 15mm or Larger Ships and Minis for Games? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=40129)

Mako June 15th, 2019 09:09 PM

Anyone Using 15mm or Larger Ships and Minis for Games?

Just curious to see if any of you are using 15mm - 32mm minis for your Traveller encounter games and scenarios?

I suspect it would be a lot of fun to have actual scale characters, NPCs, creatures, and aliens to deal with, fight, flee from, combat, etc., etc., either on far-flung, planets in distant systems, or at your local spaceport, or starport too.

I think 15mm scale is best for games with lots of terrain and buildings, and where you want a bit of maneuvering room on the tabletop, or when you want to create, or purchase your own spacecraft.

I've purchased several "dropships" or shuttles for use with the 15mm, and larger scale minis. They make great scenic backdrops for the minis, and can be good for something to fight for, if needed. Of course, they're good for hauling cargo too, for more mundane pursuits.

25mm - 32mm scale figures are more impressive, but take up a lot more space, especially once you start adding in spacecraft, or a spaceport for them to move around in.

Thoughts, photos, descriptions of what you're doing with your games, when using minis in the Traveller, or other universes?

aramis June 16th, 2019 08:45 PM

While not running traveller recently, I've switched to using mini-meeples because I can't find good 15mm's in a price range I can afford. Draw a face on, and they make facing checkable. White ones can be colored upon with markers....

Works great with D&D, L5R 5E, WFRP (any-but-3), etc...

infojunky June 16th, 2019 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mako (Post 602922)
Just curious to see if any of you are using 15mm - 32mm minis for your Traveller encounter games and scenarios?

YES! As a matter of fact I do! In 15mm in fact.

Quote:

I suspect it would be a lot of fun to have actual scale characters, NPCs, creatures, and aliens to deal with, fight, flee from, combat, etc., etc., either on far-flung, planets in distant systems, or at your local spaceport, or starport too.

Yes, yes, it is.

Quote:

I think 15mm scale is best for games with lots of terrain and buildings, and where you want a bit of maneuvering room on the tabletop, or when you want to create, or purchase your own spacecraft.

Actually 6mm would be best, but coming up with character figures in that scale is a pricey pain in the ass.

I must mention that I started a whole movement to bring back 15mm Science Fiction figures back 20+ years ago in a quest to have more for my Traveller games. With a bunch of help from other fans we have been pretty successful.

Maksim-Smelchak June 17th, 2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infojunky (Post 602957)
YES! Actually 6mm would be best, but coming up with character figures in that scale is a pricey pain in the ass

It used to be. A number of manufacturers are now making 6mm characters.

Shalom,
M.

kilemall June 17th, 2019 03:52 PM

I'd prefer 10mm, cause it's close to Nscale and plenty of structures and vehicles for that.

infojunky June 17th, 2019 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilemall (Post 602980)
I'd prefer 10mm, cause it's close to Nscale and plenty of structures and vehicles for that.

Where, besides Train stores?

whartung June 18th, 2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infojunky (Post 602991)
Where, besides Train stores?

Well, "the internet". What's a "train store" any more nowadays.

Anyway, since N scale is dominated by trains, everything is basically TL 6-8.

You could certainly kit bash things, but probably not a lot of luck finding an Air Raft in N Scale.

infojunky June 18th, 2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whartung (Post 603001)
Well, "the internet". What's a "train store" any more nowadays.

Ok, I admit I live in a land of wonder, I can think of three hobby shops within close proximity that have sizable train selections.

Mako June 19th, 2019 12:53 AM

Lots of affordable figure options in 15mm, from: Ground Zero Games (GZG) in the UK, Rebel Minis, Khurasan, Old Glory, RAFM, etc., etc.. Sometimes they have sales, making them an even better value.

There are quite a few spacecraft options too, in 15mm, for reasonable prices.

There are also some in 25mm+ scale too, up to and including the various 32mm Clix figures, of which many can be quite reasonable. You don't need too many for a game, or three, unless you are a megalomaniac like many minis collectors/gamers.

I'm working on acquiring buildings, landing pads, a runway, vehicles, figures, and spacecraft for various spaceports - from outposts to fairly large, well traveled ones with lots of areas, buildings, and other things to explore, protect, or break into, and fight over.

GypsyComet June 19th, 2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mako (Post 603018)
There are quite a few spacecraft options too, in 15mm, for reasonable prices.

As flats, yes. Models are anther thing entirely. Even a Scout is almost 6 inches long.