Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   The Lone Star (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   General Aslan and slavery (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=40083)

Qstor2 May 28th, 2019 09:30 AM

Aslan and slavery

I noticed a bit about Aslan and slavery in the MgT Aslan book. Was this the case in CT? My Aslan alien module is in storage. My Aslan/Solomani MT book is AWOL. I checked the GT alien races book on the Aslan and didn't see it in there.

Are they more indentured servants and criminals THAN actual slaves in MgT? I was wondering if this is new or was in CT or MT.

GT recommend feudal Japan as an inspiration for Aslan culture. I just checked Wikpedia and there was slavery in Japan until 1590, but indentured servitude continued.

mike wightman May 28th, 2019 11:59 AM

There is no mention of Aslan having/keeping slaves in the CT Alien module.

Some Vargr do, the Aslan don't.

I'm sure the MgT author(s) of their Aslan stuff conducted extensive research and had good reason for the change...

whulorigan May 28th, 2019 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qstor2 (Post 602209)
I noticed a bit about Aslan and slavery in the MgT Aslan book. Was this the case in CT? My Aslan alien module is in storage. My Aslan/Solomani MT book is AWOL. I checked the GT alien races book on the Aslan and didn't see it in there.

Are they more indentured servants and criminals THAN actual slaves in MgT? I was wondering if this is new or was in CT or MT.

GT recommend feudal Japan as an inspiration for Aslan culture. I just checked Wikpedia and there was slavery in Japan until 1590, but indentured servitude continued.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 602217)
There is no mention of Aslan having/keeping slaves in the CT Alien module.

Some Vargr do, the Aslan don't.

I'm sure the MgT author(s) of their Aslan stuff conducted extensive research and had good reason for the change...

IIRC, the only mention of (current-day) slavery among the Aslan had to do with the outlawed members of the Glorious Empire in the Trojan Reach.

Maksim-Smelchak May 28th, 2019 01:27 PM

More information: http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Slave

Please feel free to add, enrich, edit, etc.

Shalom,
M.

mike wightman May 28th, 2019 01:52 PM

The wiki claims slavery is widespread throughout Aslan space - where is the evidence for this to be found?

There is an often ignored mention of slavery hidden in the Darrian alien module:
Quote:

The Irhadre of Lishun sector maintain a form of ritual slavery for half of their adult population.

Maksim-Smelchak May 28th, 2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 602227)
The wiki claims slavery is widespread throughout Aslan space - where is the evidence for this to be found?

Gareth Hanrahan. Aslan (Mongoose Publishing, 2009).

It is in other sources as well, but that is the only one the wiki team currently has sourced.

I believe this also mentions it:

Peter G. Celella, James Holden. Solomani & Aslan (Digest Group Publications, 1991)

Would be happy to be corrected.

Shalom,
M.

whulorigan May 28th, 2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 602227)

From MgT Alien Module 1: Aslan, p.159 (The Glorious Empire):
Quote:

Aside from practicing slavery, Glorious Empire culture is much like traditional Aslan culture. Males are warriors and landowners; females are technicians, merchants and advisors. Herding and disciplining slaves is considered a male task.
The book does mention in a number of places that in historical times (including the Long Night) the Alsan practice of slavery was much more widespread.

From MgT Alien Module 1: Aslan, p.62:
Quote:

The Aslan have incorporated numerous minor races into the Hierate. These species, ranging from the avian-descended Pol Nox to the reptilian Zíkr to the Ulane. Races encountered by the Aslan early in their expansion were usually enslaved or annihilated but modern Aslan are more likely to incorporate other races into the Hierate or trade with them. Incorporated races are permitted to form clans and own territory and may even be treated as the equals of Aslan if they behave properly, although few non-Aslan ever rise above the rank of awkhea (landless serf).

mike wightman May 28th, 2019 04:24 PM

So no different to humans then.

Aslan in the MgT ATU appear to be very different to Aslan in the OTU.

timerover51 May 28th, 2019 07:03 PM

I wonder if the Mongoose Rules allow for the Aslan doing to humans what Roman agriculturalists recommended to do to oxen. When the oxen were no longer pulling their weight, it was recommended to put them on forage grass for a few months and then sell them for food. The English agriculturalists in the Medieval Period made the same recommendation. Do the Mongoose rules give the price for a human slave, and what he/her resale value as food would be? If they allow for human slavery, that indicates that there would be slave markets for sale and resale.

Then there could be something on the order of Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal. That was written for and aimed at the British public. For those who do not know or have not read Swift's work, it can be found and downloaded here at Project Gutenberg.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1080/1080-h/1080-h.htm

timerover51 May 29th, 2019 01:10 AM

Slave Markets

If someone needs a description of a slave market for game purposes, there is one available in the following book on Project Gutenberg.

Pictures of Southern Life: Social, Political, and Military, By William Howard Russell. Mr. Russell was an English war and newspaper correspondent that toured the U.S. right after the firing on Fort Sumter in 1861.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/40727...-h/40727-h.htm

His more extended work on his tour, My Diary, North and South, can be found on archive.org. It should be noted that Mr. Russell used the language of his time to write these works, and that they are most definitely NOT politically correct, and would be quite difficult to assign as a reading book for a class on the U.S. Civil War.

Edit Note: As it appears that the Aslan have been keeping human slaves for some time, is there any indications that they have been doing selective breeding to enhance or degrade certain traits, such as intelligence, amount of muscle mass, amount of fat, selective areas of muscle mass, etc.

Also, are humans in combat against the Aslan allowed any form of "desperation roll" knowing that they may be enslaved if defeated and captured?