Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   In My 2300 Universe (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   2300 vs the Vilani (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=23744)

Murph January 2nd, 2011 07:26 PM

2300 vs the Vilani

As I ended my 2300 campaign, I had introduced the characters to the Vilani which were posited as the scouts of a multi-system Empire (the Viru Sirka). Somewhat higher tech than the players, but not horribly so. Think 1960's tech vs 1990's tech. They managed to bushwhack the Vilani on a scouting mission and turn it over to the Texan Government, who in turn let the rest of the world know what was coming. At the end they were getting prepped to decypher the computer systems, and starship tech. Aparently the Vilani were able to go 20 light years before dropping out of "warp" to discharge. IM2300U I allowed a 10 LY range.

Bayern was being refitted for a mission to the Vilani, with some fast recon ships in range but under stealth to see what happened. The characters were acting under the auspices of the Texas Government at the time so the Texans got first info on this. Which caused Alarms and Panic on Terra. The kafer having just been eliminated as a threat, the militaries of the sphere were still dispursed and weak due to losses.

The Vilani for their part were looking for raw materials, and such, not really on a scout mission to find and explore strange new worlds, find new life, and subjugate them at this time. However when the scoutship turns up missing, you know that the Vilani will send a second mission. Also the Vilani ships were spherical due to the requirements of the Contra-grav systems.

Main tech differences:
Computers; 1960 vs 1990 systems
Contra-Grav; Vilani have it, we do not
Sensors: 1960's vs 1990's
Weapons: Lasers, PBWs, GRASERS, Missiles 1960 vs 1990
Shields: Better, but not super powered
Med Tech: about the same
Propulsion systems: about 25% faster on average with an average of warp speed being 5.0
Powerplants: 1960's vs 1990's tech

The characters managed to bushwhack the three scouts on the ground, and then get transport themselves in the Vilani shuttle to the scoutship, and then they killed the six remaining crew in a gunfight which damaged the Vilani Scout somewhat. It was a good plan, and I let them play it out.

Meteoric Assault January 28th, 2011 08:03 PM

Sounds good. Interstellar wars and 2300AD are a great cross-over.

Murph December 19th, 2011 10:09 PM

Yeah the only issue is dealing with the different Tech levels on Vilani vs Terrans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meteoric Assault (Post 367309)
Sounds good. Interstellar wars and 2300AD are a great cross-over.

Mithras December 23rd, 2011 07:38 PM

Go on.... you know you want to give the Vilani their trademark jump drive!!!

shield December 24th, 2011 07:46 AM

I would give the Terran's better medical knowledge & equipment, especially as they are trading with the pentapods. Vilani were always a bit weak in this field.

kafka47 December 24th, 2011 09:27 AM

I like it...it could be the Vietnam War all over again...with the Terrans playing the role of the Vietnamese.

Whenever, I played a crossover, it was that the Vilani were doing reconnaissance to find out where Terra/Earth resided - thus it was more BSG (even before the Cylons looked like us -nuBSG).

Murph December 24th, 2011 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kafka47 (Post 386417)
I like it...it could be the Vietnam War all over again...with the Terrans playing the role of the Vietnamese.

Whenever, I played a crossover, it was that the Vilani were doing reconnaissance to find out where Terra/Earth resided - thus it was more BSG (even before the Cylons looked like us -nuBSG).

Except there is no soviet union providing support and weapons.

Murph December 24th, 2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shield (Post 386412)
I would give the Terran's better medical knowledge & equipment, especially as they are trading with the pentapods. Vilani were always a bit weak in this field.

Agreed. The Terrans do have better medical knowledge. It would have been a great campaign.

sayatmenace December 28th, 2011 10:56 PM

I've also thought about this (well, gloated and grinned about it), and actually did sort-of implement it.

However, the 2300AD universe I was basing it on was a variant or 'reboot' of the one we all know and love, and the Vilani lurking in the background were not quite the Vilani we all know and hate.(*) It was all rather more Lovecraftian in tone, and the purpose of the whole exercise was a setting for a xenoarcheological-mystery-exploration-swashbuckling kind of campaign.

(* For the record, I actually like the Vilani. I think I do, anyway. They're not very well written, and inconsistently across canon, so it's hard to say how much is enjoying what's actually written vs. enjoying what I'm making up to fill in the blanks.)

Max_Writer December 29th, 2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayatmenace (Post 386621)
However, the 2300AD universe I was basing it on was a variant or 'reboot' of the one we all know and love, and the Vilani lurking in the background were not quite the Vilani we all know and hate.

Okay - who were those Vilani? I don't remember anything like them at all.