Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Traveller 5 (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Point Buy CharGen (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=29753)

Bloo April 26th, 2013 04:37 AM

Point Buy CharGen
 
I saw this mentioned in the G+ thread DonM mentioned here.

Back after T4 was released, I developed a point buy system for some testing. Wasn't able to do a lot, but it looked ok for what testing did happen. I'm trying to locate those old notes but the long and short of it was this.

66 points. Distribute between UPP and Skills on a 1-for-1 basis.
Choose education and career choices to have access to particular skills (you can only choose from those on your career list or the "any" list). Add total skill values to 18 to get age.

A UPP 777777 character would have 24 levels of skills, and be 42 years old.

(Original draft has X points for certain options such as Flight School, Rank Y, etc.)

I'll really try to find those notes this weekend.

LordRhys April 26th, 2013 08:08 PM

What you posted today looks like it would work all by itself.

It's certainly a good method for drawing up balanced NPC's.

Lore April 26th, 2013 08:15 PM

Are there number limits for skills or higher point requirements for numbers over a certain point?

For example...going from Fighter-1 to Fighter-2 might be 1 point where going from Fighter-6 to Fighter-7 would be 5 points?

LordRhys April 26th, 2013 08:57 PM

I would just limit the total skill level of a skill (Skills and Knowledges combined) to the number of Terms a character served.

Example: 4 Terms would allow Fighting-2 and any Knowledge Skills under Fighting would be limited to level-2 (Slug Throwers-2, Beams-2, Battle Dress-2 etc.).

Bloo April 27th, 2013 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lore (Post 431063)
Are there number limits for skills or higher point requirements for numbers over a certain point?

Not in my original stuff (which I know I have but haven't located yet - my Medieval T4 stuff, found). That's a fair idea, increasing point cost as you go down the bell curve for stats and skill levels. The Mongoose system does that. The C+S task system mitigates it somewhat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordRhys (Post 431070)
I would just limit the total skill level of a skill (Skills and Knowledges combined) to the number of Terms a character served.

Example: 4 Terms would allow Fighting-2 and any Knowledge Skills under Fighting would be limited to level-2 (Slug Throwers-2, Beams-2, Battle Dress-2 etc.).

That's an interesting idea, but I question it in some cases. 16 years is a long time not to be an expert in something you've chosen to focus on.

LordRhys April 27th, 2013 04:09 AM

Perhaps 2 x number of Terms?

You would be able to have Level-6 in the Skill and Level-2 in at least 1 Knowledge of that Skill.

I think that any more than that would make the character too specialized.

Remember, a 4 Term character would only have 16 points to spend on skills, and this would allow you to put 1/2 of those points all in one area.

1 point per term would create more diversified characters.

Bloo April 27th, 2013 08:29 PM

Huzzah! Found it. Transcribing warts and all.

taustin April 28th, 2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloo (Post 431155)
16 years is a long time not to be an expert in something you've chosen to focus on.

I recall seeing a study a while back that concluded that for most, nearly all professions, 10 years is enough to make one a master, which is to say, to know the subject well enough that no significant advancement will occur from training or addtional experience. There were only a couple of professions that were exceptions. (Laywers was one, IIRC.)

Bloo April 28th, 2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taustin (Post 431326)
I recall seeing a study a while back that concluded that for most, nearly all professions, 10 years is enough to make one a master, which is to say, to know the subject well enough that no significant advancement will occur from training or addtional experience. There were only a couple of professions that were exceptions. (Laywers was one, IIRC.)

Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 hour thing from his Outliers book, right?

Bloo April 28th, 2013 01:40 AM

Just text. I'm tempted to do some clean up.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20Chargen.txt

erisred May 1st, 2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloo (Post 430941)
I saw this mentioned in the G+ thread DonM mentioned here.

Back after T4 was released, I developed a point buy system for some testing. Wasn't able to do a lot, but it looked ok for what testing did happen. I'm trying to locate those old notes but the long and short of it was this.

66 points. Distribute between UPP and Skills on a 1-for-1 basis.
Choose education and career choices to have access to particular skills (you can only choose from those on your career list or the "any" list). Add total skill values to 18 to get age.

A UPP 777777 character would have 24 levels of skills, and be 42 years old.

(Original draft has X points for certain options such as Flight School, Rank Y, etc.)

I'll really try to find those notes this weekend.

What you have posted right here looks pretty good all by itself. The only thing that might need adding is something to deal with the Skill/Knowledge duality (cascade skills to us old timers ;) ). Maybe something like, "you must have one Knowledge two higher, or two Knowledges one higher than the Skill when you finish allocating points."

SpaceBadger July 6th, 2013 04:20 PM

Looks very nice, Bloo. I will be adapting it back to CT, but otherwise I think this may be our new chargen, at least for PCs. My boys played GURPS before Traveller, so they like being able to design characters to closely fit their concept w/out all of the chance element of regular Trav chargen.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.