Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   GURPS Traveller (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   "that OTHER Traveller game"?? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=11979)

Malenfant February 5th, 2004 04:49 PM

Um, do we really have to be quite so disdainful toward GT in the label of this group? I strongly suspect that a minority of people are actively hateful of GURPS Traveller - for most people it's probably just as valid as any other version.

mike wightman February 5th, 2004 05:15 PM

I've found a lot of GT material to be useful background for fleshing out Traveller. OK, there are some problems with "is this canon", but I like it so I use it.

Elliot February 5th, 2004 05:57 PM

Cant stand it myself - hate the smart ass sidebar comments. So there.

Malenfant February 5th, 2004 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by thrash:
Hunter is being very gracious to stump for his competitors, and is therefore entitled to poke fun about it.
Maybe he is being very gracious, but I think that's being somewhat deflected by the implied sneeriness of the label here - it's just not necessary IMO, there's enough divisiveness among Traveller fans as it is!

'A board for discussing GURPS Traveller' would have been perfectly adequate and much more neutral, wouldn't it?

hunter February 5th, 2004 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Malenfant:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by thrash:
Hunter is being very gracious to stump for his competitors, and is therefore entitled to poke fun about it.

Maybe he is being very gracious, but I think that's being somewhat deflected by the implied sneeriness of the label here - it's just not necessary IMO, there's enough divisiveness among Traveller fans as it is!

'A board for discussing GURPS Traveller' would have been perfectly adequate and much more neutral, wouldn't it?
</font>[/QUOTE]Sure but it wouldn't have been as much fun for me. ;)

Hunter

Malenfant February 5th, 2004 06:58 PM

I don't recall it being there before, but the 'winky' smiley in the label there now does make it a lot better.

Sorry if I was coming across as 'grumpy', I just didn't want to see it turn into an 'us vs them' thing (well, any more than it already is ;) )

kaladorn February 6th, 2004 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by hunter:
Sure but it wouldn't have been as much fun for me. ;)

Hunter
And if the Penguin-lover Mr. Berry is around somewhere, it'll get him warmed up, and that's always good for some short term entertainment [img]smile.gif[/img]

GT has a wonderful place in my collection as the game system I will never play which provides a lot of wonderful source material from which I will liberally plunder!

T20, OTOH, I may one day play. Though my first and foremost appreciation will remain MT for the forseeable future...

Anyway, the GT guys are okay. And Hunter is okay. And even FFE is okay... we're all okay, really. It's them non-gaming folks that one has to watch out for....

:D [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img]

hunter February 6th, 2004 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Malenfant:
I don't recall it being there before, but the 'winky' smiley in the label there now does make it a lot better.

Sorry if I was coming across as 'grumpy', I just didn't want to see it turn into an 'us vs them' thing (well, any more than it already is ;) )

It wasn't. I added it after you said something so that it would be clear I was just having fun ;)

Hunter

kafka47 February 6th, 2004 09:14 PM

Well, it is not to admire how GT is slowly rewriting cannon, like an virus inscribes DNA. Virus, is a harsh word, I admit, but I cannot find a better analogy.

Some of the stuff actually broke new ground but then GT quickly reverted into just repeating the CT line.

There is just a wish here on the boards that GT would actually say something different about the Traveller universe. And, yet keeping it consistant with what is the Traveller canon. An impossible task? I don't think so, as they would need only do the things that GT did very well.

More supplements like Kamsii or Bounty Hunters would be appreciated, as these were underexplored areas in CT.

Posing some of the real big questions in GT, like what happened to Dulinor? Is the Imperium ommipotent or impotent?

What is the relationship between GT & MT as there seems to be many parallel occurences?

Are the Solomani a real Party-State or just a misunderstood democracy?

What ultimately is the end point of GT?

If GT does on average better sales than the other GURPS line, why not produce more?

kaladorn February 6th, 2004 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kafka47:
There is just a wish here on the boards that GT would actually say something different about the Traveller universe.
In fairness, other than LEW's Wounded Colossus, I think GT's no-Rebellion timeline was a big contribution.

Quote:

More supplements like Kamsii or Bounty Hunters would be appreciated, as these were underexplored areas in CT.
Hunters were done in White Dwarf, but they should have been officially done as they are really good gaming material. They justify fights, travelling, and neat adventures with bits of chicanery, run ins with the law (Shades of 76 Criminals Who Need Your Help) and nabbing bad guys.

But you are right, both of those are good GURPS supplements.

Quote:

Posing some of the real big questions in GT, like what happened to Dulinor? Is the Imperium ommipotent or impotent?
Didn't Dulinor get blown up? And I dunno about you, but when I look at Ground Forces and the like, I tend to think of a very potent, very present Imperial gov't.

Quote:

What is the relationship between GT & MT as there seems to be many parallel occurences?
How about "The Rebellion, she never happened?". That would explain a lot of parallels, up to the big divergence. (If I'm not misrecalling)

Quote:

Are the Solomani a real Party-State or just a misunderstood democracy?
Rim of Fire gives a lot of commentary of interest on this front.

Quote:

What ultimately is the end point of GT?
Why?

I ask this question about real Trav too.

Isn't the point the journey? The endpoint implies a point at which all is somehow static or resolved, leaving little room for adventurers. So why do we seek endpoints?

Quote:

If GT does on average better sales than the other GURPS line, why not produce more?
Does it?