Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   TAS Opinion Polls (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   It's Not Canon! (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=39486)

robject October 18th, 2018 01:58 PM

It's Not Canon!
 
Don's Fundamental Traveller Moral: Don't throw rocks at other Traveller settings. We're all in the same tent, even if we imagine we're not.

Rob's Corollary: Don't use canon specifically to trash a setting.

Now moving on. Some things Marc has repeatedly said are NOT canon. Now brainstorm and vote on what might NOT be canon for Traveller. By voting, we take the temperature of the grognards. This is a useful exercise.

Since this is a poll, I am forced to stop at about 20 items. That's not a bad length. And perhaps it requires us to be principled.

mike wightman October 18th, 2018 02:29 PM

Before even answering the poll I find myself asking once again - do you mean the Traveller rules or the Traveller OTU setting? With the Traveller rules I have created many settings, ripped off many settings and adapted the published setting versions to my own ends.

The OTU has had many iterations due to rule changes, setting changes etc.

Canon for the OTU is what MWM says.

Canon for MTU is what I say it is.

atpollard October 18th, 2018 02:31 PM

"Traveller" the rules, or "Traveller" the setting? :CoW: :rofl::rofl::rofl: :devil:

atpollard October 18th, 2018 02:38 PM

I disagree with all of the choices offered with one possible exception ...


"Light sabers and Ansibles don't exist." is true for the OTU setting (the various Imperiums and beyond) however neither "Light sabers" nor "Ansibles" (instantaneous FTL Communication) are forbidden by some versions of the rules and the guidelines on building a "Laser Pistol" in an early edition of the JTAS suggests that "Light Sabres" are encouraged if you want one in your game.

timerover51 October 18th, 2018 11:41 PM

As I pay little to no attention with respect to Aslan artwork, I have no opinion on that. Likewise, as I have no idea as to what the Primordials/Sparklers are, I have no opinion on those either. The only material that I view as canon is that what was initially put out by GDW prior to terminating business, or that put out by Marc since. I do not regard anything by Mongoose or Steve Jackson Games under the GURPS rules as canon, nor anything for the Cepheus Engine. The Cepheus Engine material can be readily adapted to Traveller, but will not be canon.

I definitely like the rule regarding spacecraft under 100 dTons.

Adam Dray October 19th, 2018 12:27 AM

I cannot answer the poll because it won't let me submit without any boxes checked.

mike wightman October 19th, 2018 12:47 PM

Note the six major races is a limitation for charted space only - out in the wider galaxy there are races that would make the six major races look like semi evolved prokaryotic organisms... Abyssals, Essaray, Core Sophonts, Denizens...

whulorigan October 19th, 2018 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 594413)
Note the six major races is a limitation for charted space only - out in the wider galaxy there are races that would make the six major races look like semi evolved prokaryotic organisms... Abyssals, Essaray, Core Sophonts, Denizens...


But are they "Major" in the sense of having independently developed Jump Drive (after the Vilani definition/prejudice for the term), which is I believe the thought behind having no more than the standard six?

coliver988 October 19th, 2018 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atpollard (Post 594375)
I disagree with all of the choices offered with one possible exception ...


"Light sabers and Ansibles don't exist." is true for the OTU setting (the various Imperiums and beyond) however neither "Light sabers" nor "Ansibles" (instantaneous FTL Communication) are forbidden by some versions of the rules and the guidelines on building a "Laser Pistol" in an early edition of the JTAS suggests that "Light Sabres" are encouraged if you want one in your game.

Pretty much this - the early versions of the game let you do anything you wanted to pretty much. It was a tool box. Only after it left the "proto-Traveller" and the setting grew did you have more restrictions on what you could or could not do tech-wise.

Having said that, I do tend to play well within the lines as a general rule.

mike wightman October 19th, 2018 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whulorigan (Post 594415)
But are they "Major" in the sense of having independently developed Jump Drive (after the Vilani definition/prejudice for the term), which is I believe the thought behind having no more than the standard six?

Who cares if they independently invented jump drive, if they can scrub your entire polity they are major;
not to mention the Aslan are not a major race by the Vilani definition, and there are questions about independent invention by the Vilani and the Solomani.

The Vilani explored via STL - during this time they may have stumbled upon Ancient era tech or even an alien race that had the jump drive that the Vilani took then removed said race.

The Solomani claim to independent jump drive comes with the rumours of Vegan or Vilani craft visiting Earth during the twentieth century...

Then there are the Geonee that 'reverse-engineered' the jump drive according to the Vilani and independently developed it according to them - the winner writes the history books...


Major/minor race is a racist tool to subjugate and belittle - which is why the Vilani invented it and the Syleans continued it as a means to confirm their ascendancy.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.