Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Random Static (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Opinions of The Expanse - Season 3 (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=38987)

Major B April 19th, 2018 06:15 PM

Opinions of The Expanse - Season 3
 
I liked the first season of Logan. Other than the almost nameless character who swatted the black-uniformed mooks to another continent, the show didn't break my willful suspension of disbelief. That plus it was intelligent and quirky and for some reason I liked it despite it being a superhero show which is a genre I normally don't enjoy.

Based on the strength of season one, I bought season two on Amazon and I am disappointed. I have made it to halfway through the second episode and it is baffling and incomprehensibly convoluted to me. I suspect that there is a compelling story in there trying to get out but for me it is losing the struggle. I may finish episode two but I probably won't bother with it unless I can't find anything better to watch.

Like season two of Logan, I have followed a convoluted path to my point... With the disappointment of this purchase fresh in my mind I am having second thoughts about purchasing season three of The Expanse. I thoroughly enjoyed both preceding seasons because there was more science than fiction and there are a host of likable characters who stayed true to the way they were built up, rather than doing implausible things for plot.

So I am hoping for some feedback from forum members. Who has watched it? What are your thoughts? Is it living up to the potential I saw in the previous seasons?

kilemall April 19th, 2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major B (Post 586020)
I liked the first season of Logan. Other than the almost nameless character who swatted the black-uniformed mooks to another continent, the show didn't break my willful suspension of disbelief. That plus it was intelligent and quirky and for some reason I liked it despite it being a superhero show which is a genre I normally don't enjoy.

Based on the strength of season one, I bought season two on Amazon and I am disappointed. I have made it to halfway through the second episode and it is baffling and incomprehensibly convoluted to me. I suspect that there is a compelling story in there trying to get out but for me it is losing the struggle. I may finish episode two but I probably won't bother with it unless I can't find anything better to watch.

Like season two of Logan, I have followed a convoluted path to my point... With the disappointment of this purchase fresh in my mind I am having second thoughts about purchasing season three of The Expanse. I thoroughly enjoyed both preceding seasons because there was more science than fiction and there are a host of likable characters who stayed true to the way they were built up, rather than doing implausible things for plot.

So I am hoping for some feedback from forum members. Who has watched it? What are your thoughts? Is it living up to the potential I saw in the previous seasons?


Too early, it's getting into the crank-it-up phase.

We've already been introduced to Julie's yacht, the benefits and hazards of powered armor, the danger of unsecured items in a multi-G heavy maneuver environment, and pew pew pew.

whartung April 20th, 2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilemall (Post 586024)
Too early, it's getting into the crank-it-up phase.

We've already been introduced to Julie's yacht, the benefits and hazards of powered armor, the danger of unsecured items in a multi-G heavy maneuver environment, and pew pew pew.

Guess I better watch it again, I barely remember any of that.

But to be honest, considering how much I pay attention to the TV I watch these days...

"There's a character named Logan?" I don't know any of the character names. I know who folks are talking about in show, but after it's over...nope. Wiped clean.

I didn't find Season 2 particularly confusing.

But I do watch this stuff quite casually and take things as presented, and try not to delve to far in. The only TV I get at all interactive with is Baseball games.

My two favorite moments from the 2 first seasons are the "living on bonus time" kid, and, when the UN Lady was asked (I think about the Martian girl) about doing something she bluntly answered "Whatever the *** I want."

Other than that, you know, TV show.

I am impressed by Expanse, but in truth, I enjoyed "Colony" more.

I also skipped Mr. Robot this season, last season I honestly didn't even know it ended. It was more "Hey, why didn't Mr. Robot record. Oh. It's done, ok. Who knew."

Can't really say I'm missing it. First season was fun.

Adam Dray April 20th, 2018 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whartung (Post 586038)
when the UN Lady was asked (I think about the Martian girl) about doing something she bluntly answered "Whatever the *** I want."

That's my favorite moment, too.

kilemall April 21st, 2018 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whartung (Post 586038)
Guess I better watch it again, I barely remember any of that.

But to be honest, considering how much I pay attention to the TV I watch these days...

"There's a character named Logan?" I don't know any of the character names. I know who folks are talking about in show, but after it's over...nope. Wiped clean.

I didn't find Season 2 particularly confusing.

But I do watch this stuff quite casually and take things as presented, and try not to delve to far in. The only TV I get at all interactive with is Baseball games.

My two favorite moments from the 2 first seasons are the "living on bonus time" kid, and, when the UN Lady was asked (I think about the Martian girl) about doing something she bluntly answered "Whatever the *** I want."

Other than that, you know, TV show.

I am impressed by Expanse, but in truth, I enjoyed "Colony" more.

I also skipped Mr. Robot this season, last season I honestly didn't even know it ended. It was more "Hey, why didn't Mr. Robot record. Oh. It's done, ok. Who knew."

Can't really say I'm missing it. First season was fun.

If you haven't been watching season3, which just started, then you will have not seen these. I kept it vague so as to avoid spoilers but demonstrate the plot is advancing.

mike wightman April 21st, 2018 09:36 AM

I've read the books, I know what is going to happen. Being in the UK I will not get to see season 3 for a year unless I buy the disc.

I have seen the space combat from season 3 episode 2 it is on you tube and once again think - this is what Traveller ship combat should be like.

whartung April 23rd, 2018 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilemall (Post 586064)
If you haven't been watching season3, which just started, then you will have not seen these. I kept it vague so as to avoid spoilers but demonstrate the plot is advancing.

I actually "watched" the first episode. Defining "watched" as I was conscious when it started, conscious at the end, and had moments of consciousness in between those points (mind, this is my normal somnambulist state when watching pretty much anything).

I didn't delete it, so I'm going to try and watch it again.

Brandon C May 11th, 2018 12:43 PM

... and SyFy cancels it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a8346301.html

mike wightman May 11th, 2018 01:14 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if another network picks it up.
Netflix has seasons 1 and 2 here in the UK, and i would subscribe to Amazon in a second if they picked it up instead.

Brandon C May 11th, 2018 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 586822)
I wouldn't be surprised if another network picks it up.
Netflix has seasons 1 and 2 here in the UK, and i would subscribe to Amazon in a second if they picked it up instead.

I agree that Amazon and Netflix are the top two. I think the biggest issue would be that revenue agreement.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.