Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   TAS Opinion Polls (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   OTU Only: What Kind of Ships Does Traveller Need More of? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=37047)

McPerth December 9th, 2016 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmccoy1693 (Post 554223)
So I'm planning future releases and sooner or later I am going to be doing a ship book. What do you want to see more of in a ship book?

I guess the answer to this question comes from the answer to another one: what kind of use do you make of Traveller rules?

For those who moslty use for RPG, I guess ships over 1000 tons are only background (unless they are the setting), while players' ships use to be under 400.

For those playing a more strategical game (let's say a TCS campign like the Islands one), larger ships are needed.

As in the latter case, part of the fun of the game is designing your own ships and fleets, my guess is that published ones should focus on smaller tonnages, those called adventure class (moslty under 400 tons, some may be up to 1000), as those are the ships likely to be used by them.

Larger ships would be assumed to be, either as background or, in the case of the Navy, as a threat to remember them that if law and order is maintained is because someone cares about it (and better not to confront them). In neither case you need them in detail (if your free trader or Gazelle confronts a Cruiser, just begin chargen again).

The main exception, as told above, would be if the campaign in focussed on a large ship as setting, with most of the adventures occurring inside of it. Of course, in this case it sould be designed and mapped in detail ( la AHL).

Whipsnade December 9th, 2016 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warwizard (Post 554391)
... asteroid hull...

I loved planetoid hulls and designed a bunch of them back in the day for all kinds of uses.

Sadly, what we know about planetoids now as opposed to 1979 means planetoid hulls can't be as cheap or as strong as HG2 makes them out to be.

While this was discussed as T5 was being fashioned, I don't recall what changes were made.

All that being said, it's a great design with some nice "out of the box" thinking behind it.

dmccoy1693 December 9th, 2016 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McPerth (Post 554403)
I guess the answer to this question comes from the answer to another one: what kind of use do you make of Traveller rules?

Personally, I use them for roleplaying, just to give the players a place to point to to say, "I'm here." We don't do minis so they just point to the room and not the square.

But that's me. I never assume my experience is the same as anyone else's. Which is why I am asking.

Limburger59 December 10th, 2016 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whipsnade (Post 554248)
[*] We need a survey companion to the Suleiman and Donosev. There are already a few 1000+ dTon designs. What's needed is a "bridge" between those and the Donosev.

Agree. Only ship I ever designed in detail (back in 1981) was a Super-S class Scout.

Whipsnade December 10th, 2016 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Limburger59 (Post 554501)
Agree. Only ship I ever designed in detail (back in 1981) was a Super-S class Scout.

Do you remember anything about the design? No need for detailed deck plans or even a USP, general stuff like size or performance would still be interesting.

warwizard December 10th, 2016 04:00 PM

I posted the single player ship as an example that it only needs two people to play traveller. Single player ships without NPC's are very very rare in the traveller lexicon. As we age out it becomes harder to get 5 people together, so that's my input: Ships that can be run by a single player and that can make their loan payments on perhaps 1 jump a month.

Whipsnade December 10th, 2016 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warwizard (Post 554508)
I posted the single player ship as an example that it only needs two people to play traveller. Single player ships without NPC's are very very rare in the traveller lexicon. As we age out it becomes harder to get 5 people together, so that's my input: Ships that can be run by a single player and that can make their loan payments on perhaps 1 jump a month.

Indeed. That's why I wrote that it's a great design with some nice "out of the box" thinking behind it.

flykiller December 10th, 2016 04:08 PM

Quote:

Single player ships without NPC's are very very rare in the traveller lexicon.
? s-class scout ships have always been held to be one-man operable, and they're ubiquitous. and by the same token the agzlu-class cargo boat (link below) is also one-man operable, if one requires a one-man cargo boat.

in any case there's always robots and automation.

mike wightman December 10th, 2016 05:07 PM

With T5/AotI wafers you don't even need the robots, just a wafer interface and the relevant skill programs.

Nathan Brazil December 10th, 2016 05:36 PM

Dale, I chose Other and LOTS of detail. Things I specifically would like to see:

Grain Ships of the Imperium - "The Spice...er...The Grain Must Flow" :rofl:
Just what are the bulk commerce cruisers that make the Imperium go? Are they 2,000,000,000 200,000 or 20,000 dtons? Are they "riders" with cargo modules? What are the surface interface ships like?

Speaking of modular ships...ressurrect the Brilliant Gem Class ships or a the King Richard some other cruiser line. With deck plans... I still have mine, but I may buy a new one.

Solomani Naval ships: CT talks of Fixed Mounts, MgT talks of small overburdened ships and hulking battlewagons with few in-between tonnages. And the Project Phoenix asteroid cruisers with frozen crews in the Terra system....

Aslan Ships: Standard Clan Navy ships vs ihatei ships? With the gender assigned roles, are Aslan ships arranged different? Are female areas lean and austere and male areas hand crafted and full of grafitti ?

Things like that.