Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   TAS Opinion Polls (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   OTU Only: What Kind of Ships Does Traveller Need More of? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=37047)

Condottiere February 23rd, 2017 01:18 AM

Gaps, glaring or otherwise.

Barsanuphius April 11th, 2017 08:43 AM

What about a jump capable fighter, or fighter/scout? Like a Trav version of an X-wing? :D

My thinking is off each PC with own vessel. Yet as much as I see the value, I can see the the issues like PC #3 gets angery with PC/Players #s 1, 4 1nd 5 then gets into his/her/its ship and blasts off to somewhere no one else was going off too. also control of so many ships...yet i've done this in Star Wars RPG and other systems. D and D with horses/mounts...

aramis April 18th, 2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barsanuphius (Post 563471)
What about a jump capable fighter, or fighter/scout? Like a Trav version of an X-wing? :D

My thinking is off each PC with own vessel. Yet as much as I see the value, I can see the the issues like PC #3 gets angery with PC/Players #s 1, 4 1nd 5 then gets into his/her/its ship and blasts off to somewhere no one else was going off too. also control of so many ships...yet i've done this in Star Wars RPG and other systems. D and D with horses/mounts...

Go with riders on a jump frame, instead...

That way, they have to leave together...

khadaji2002 October 18th, 2017 04:06 PM

I would like to see more smaller ships (100-400dT) aimed at players and at GMs looking to fill their starport with crews. I'd really like to see innovative designs, as there *has* to be some design improvements made over the last 400+ years. Asymmetrical designs, etc.

Ulsyus October 18th, 2017 05:10 PM

I'd like to see details for the old regulars but done for T5

robject October 26th, 2017 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulsyus (Post 575559)
I'd like to see details for the old regulars but done for T5

Dual-statting is typically doable with the same deckplans.

Ulsyus October 28th, 2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robject (Post 576046)

I suppose they're going to have to be done at some point for the Players' Handbook. Would basic stats be in there, or would they be left out and done in their own book, with deckplans included? That could be a cool book. I remember when I first got Fighting Ships thinking it was great, but that the plans for at least some of the vessels would have been great (I know, I know, that wasn't the purpose of the book)

navywarlord October 28th, 2017 07:39 PM

I choose other

Needs more cargo ships... From large haulers to the single-man free traders...
Deck plans would help too.. Characters are always exploring wrecks, boarding derelicts or otherwise rummaging around these vessels. Trade is life blood of interstellar society... Cargo and Trade ships should be most common

aramis October 28th, 2017 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robject (Post 576046)

It annoys the gearheads, tho', if the slop factor of 10% is exceeded, as different systems have different design rates and features, which sometimes result in significant discrepancies.

The most obvious cases involve bridges... on a 100 or 200 ton ship, the bridge tonnage difference falls into 4 categories - CT/T20, MT, TNE/T4, and MGT.
  • CT/T20, it's 20 Td to 1000 Td then 2%.
  • In MT, it's non-extant - it's taken from control panels and stateroom tonnage.
  • TNE/T4, it's 2 Td x the number of bridge officers.
  • In MGT, it's 10 for up to 200 Td, and 20 above that. With a larger one for capital ships

timerover51 October 28th, 2017 09:24 PM

Hmm, after doing more thinking about it and designing, a larger subsidized merchant capable of Jump-3 would be nice. I have designed a 600 dTon one for the novel that I am working on. There does appear to be a niche for such a vessel.