Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Citizens' Information Centre (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Non-welcoming Message (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=32153)

timerover51 March 17th, 2014 05:06 AM

Non-welcoming Message

Is anyone else getting this message when they sign on, or it is just me?

Quote:

timerover51, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Vladika March 17th, 2014 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timerover51 (Post 470865)
Is anyone else getting this message when they sign on, or it is just me?

I get the same message unless I log on using a "remembered password" setting.

SpaceBadger March 17th, 2014 10:45 PM

I get it whenever I go through the www.TravellerRPG.com entrance. Then I click CotI Features > Discussion Boards and all works fine from that point.

Aramis has said we shouldn't even come in that way, as it doesn't work and isn't maintained, but that is where my laptop always wants to go when I start to type the URL. I guess I should choose an interior page and set a Bookmark instead.

aramis March 17th, 2014 11:01 PM

It's the without the "www." that you should NEVER use. I can't figure out why, but that page doesn't let you log in.

The www.travellerrpg.com page is the correct one to log in from if you're not going direct to the boards.

Really, however, http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/ is the best point to log into.

aramis March 18th, 2014 12:02 AM

Ok... I've disabled the fancy front page for now, and replaced it with a redirect to the forums.

Magnus von Thornwood March 19th, 2014 10:00 PM

"Boo-hiss!", comes the cry from the Marches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 470945)
Ok... I've disabled the fancy front page for now, and replaced it with a redirect to the forums.

Why? Oh for the love of the Emperor, why, man, why?

I really dislike this new "feature", I miss my fancy, but very cool, informative and well organized front CotI/TravellerRPG.com pages.

Please, can we have the old setup back?

aramis March 19th, 2014 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood (Post 471125)
Why? Oh for the love of the Emperor, why, man, why?

I really dislike this new "feature", I miss my fancy, but very cool, informative and well organized front CotI/TravellerRPG.com pages.

Please, can we have the old setup back?

No. It was broken, and it's not forward compatible with the needed updates. I may piece together some content, but I get (on average) 3 complaints a month about it from new users.

See, it uses an unsupported plug in - one that's been unsupported for 3 minor editions already. I'm trying to weed down the dependencies.

Magnus von Thornwood March 20th, 2014 06:25 PM

Complained?

Wow, I gotta ask, what was the complaint?

For me the front page was very well laid out, actually showed me what I wanted to see (today's stuff) and didn't make me slog through the subfora list to see what is happening. And before you mention it the Latest Post function rots. It is both ugly and often has no content other than the Imperial Art Museum posts from the last 30 days.

While do understand that you are doing an immense amount of work behind the screen, I am hoping Your Imperial Grace can get us a new front page that equals the glories of the old one. I miss it so.

SpaceBadger March 21st, 2014 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood (Post 471199)
For me the front page was very well laid out, actually showed me what I wanted to see (today's stuff) and didn't make me slog through the subfora list to see what is happening. And before you mention it the Latest Post function rots. It is both ugly and often has no content other than the Imperial Art Museum posts from the last 30 days.

Try Quiklinks > Today's Posts.

EDIT: Actually, I just checked Latest Posts and it also works just fine - not as you described. If you don't want to see the latest Art Gallery or Blog posts, there is a "Hide" button at the upper right of each section that will reduce it to title only.

Magnus von Thornwood March 21st, 2014 02:10 AM

I did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 471237)
Try Quiklinks > Today's Posts.

EDIT: Actually, I just checked Latest Posts and it also works just fine - not as you described. If you don't want to see the latest Art Gallery or Blog posts, there is a "Hide" button at the upper right of each section that will reduce it to title only.

I have tried that and it doesn't work. Maybe because I am on a crappy iPad but for whatever reason it has never worked, even with a computer and DSL.

Also, the original front page was awesome, it had the latest poll, the latest artwork (and random ones underneath), the most recent posts regardless of the forum, a little box with who was on line. It was clean, simple, elegant even, I miss it very much. It was like having a hard copy news sheet with news, culture and entertainment from across the Imperia. But you know virtual and on a screen. :)