Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Mongoose Traveller (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Alternative Characteristic Rolling Techniques? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=27318)

loudriver23 October 2nd, 2012 02:39 PM

Alternative Characteristic Rolling Techniques?

I was just wondering what the consensus was on how you allow your players to roll their characteristics.
The 2d6 6 times can be a bit brutal and lead to some seriously low scores. Are you okay with having a character with several characteristics from 2-5?
In any case, here are a few mods that I've either thought about, or have read about.
1: Roll 2D6 10 times and pick the best 6 results
2: Roll 1D6+6 6 times
3: Roll 3D6 and drop the lowest die.

Does anyone have any other methods that have worked well? Does one method lead to a more, or less, "pulpy" game?
Thanks,
Louis

aramis October 2nd, 2012 05:33 PM

I allow rerolling 2 dice during CGen. Could be one attribute in total, or twice using 1d on one of the two dice of an attribute, or on process rolls (survival, Promotion, etc), or even benefit rolls.

But, yes, I'm fine with PC's with bad scores.

BillDowns October 2nd, 2012 05:36 PM

Personally, I don't have an issue with rolling 2d6 x 6.

I'll see what my son's college friends think about it when we start a game after an upcoming business trip of mine. They were weaned on D&D 4.

steventirey1985 October 2nd, 2012 05:45 PM

D&D is about sending high-powered, heroic (usually inexperienced) characters on heroic adventures. High stats are more important.

Traveller, at least in my opinion, is more about normal characters*, doing relatively normal things. Trading between worlds, exploring lost ruins or new worlds, small mercenary actions. No saving the world on a weekly basis, no killing gods, etc. More average characteristics. And as most Traveller characters are experienced, high characteristics aren't needed as much.

Still, a really low score could be a bit of a problem. I prefer rolling 2d6 7 times, and dropping a score of the players choice (doesn't have to be the lowest one, but it usually is).

*As much as a group possibly consisting of a retired Army general, Naval admiral, Imperial Duke, and Vargr pirate could be considered normal.

loudriver23 October 2nd, 2012 06:11 PM

So, if you had a pulpy game where the characters were involved in more combat, and world saving on a more regular basis, would you at that point look to enhance the characteristics to better suit the campaign? I personally would.

Leitz October 2nd, 2012 06:33 PM

Sometimes 2d6 and re-roll 1s, or 1s and 2s if it's just a couple players. I like letting the characters have the advantage as the DM has a lot more monsters than they have body parts...

Leitz

Dragoner October 2nd, 2012 06:42 PM

Often to avoid one characteristic being too bad, I'll let them roll up all six at once 3-4 times and let them pick the best set out of all.

far-trader October 2nd, 2012 06:49 PM

I've toyed with what I call a Nature and Nurture option to allow some customization and (usually) avoidance of those annoying 2's.

Nature: Roll 1D6 per characteristic in order. This is what you were born with.

Nurture: Roll 6D6 and assign as desired to the characteristics. This is what your upbringing focused on.

Generally allowing only 1D6 assigned per characteristic but optionally no restrictions to permit padding desired characteristic(s) at the expense of settling with just the rolled 1D6 for some.

It's still pretty quick, maintains the standard 2D6 range (as long as the option is ignored), but allows closer to the character desired by the player.

I've also occasionally done averaged dice: All 1's are 2 and all 6's are 5 (or all 1's are 3 and all 6's are 4) but that's never been very satisfying. I more often use it for quick NPCs. It avoids the issue of low characteristics but at the cost of not getting high characteristics.

loudriver23 October 2nd, 2012 06:56 PM

I think you may have something interesting there Far-Trader. I kind of like the idea of the nature + nurture.
Although, I think for this next game I want to run, I need to have a talk with the players and get an idea for the flavor they would like to see.
If it's to be the standard traveller campaign then it's 6X 2d6. Maybe reroll 1's
If they are hoping for a crazy romp akin to Starship Troopers, then perhaps I'll to the 3d6 and toss the lowest, or the 1d6+6 option.

VonPickles October 2nd, 2012 07:34 PM

I've always gone with the 3 sets of stats, choose the best (depending on what career the player wants I sometimes allow a single swap within a set)