Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Contact! (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   General Dire Vargr (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=40130)

Blue Ghost June 15th, 2019 11:29 PM

Dire Vargr
 
Science tells us that the Dire Wolf died out in North America some 100,000 years ago. But recent Imperial research has discovered a subsector deep in the coreward recesses of the Extents predominantly populated by a larger Vargr variant. DNA samples match recorded DNA of bones preserved in North American tar pits on Terra. Current hypothesis is that Grandfather and "his children" kept sampling the Dire Wolf species until there were none left.

Dire Vargr
Average Height 2 meters
Str; 3d6
Dex; 2d6
End; 3d6
Int; 2d6
Edu; 2d6
Cha; 2d6

Otherwise standard Vargr career generation.

Unique tech; Dire Vargr are a little more organized than their gray wolf cousins, and have managed to hang onto some samples of Ancient technology; notably that dealing with defense/military, food generation and medical. Dire Vargr society, for whatever reason, hasn't expanded beyond the Listanaya sector, in spite of having superior starship technology; antimatter is a known fuel source.

Society; Dire Vargr society is somewhat less mercurial than the rest of the extents, and comparatively stable and normal by human standards. Noteworthy are the less "drastic" color schemes around Dire Vargr worlds, possible as a result of having eyes more akin to humans than the comparatively color restrictive Vargr descended from gray wolves.

Just something I came up with while watching a doc on the subject (Dire Wolves, not Vargr :) )

BlackBat242 June 16th, 2019 01:03 AM

Sounds great to me. :toast:

Mind if I steal... err, use this for my games? ;)

Blue Ghost June 16th, 2019 01:47 AM

By all means, citizen.

GypsyComet June 16th, 2019 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Ghost (Post 602929)
Dire Vargr society, for whatever reason, hasn't expanded beyond the Listanaya sector, in spite of having superior starship technology; antimatter is a known fuel source.

Roll a die to determine the truth behind this rumor:

1 - The Dirvau are as presented, and bound to their local space by biological factors they've never managed to discern; those who leave their native stars sicken and die within weeks. They maintain and build to a range of TL (based on the Vilani scale) from TL10 to TL18, with jump range (and biology) lagging while other fields excel.

2 - The Dirvau are generally as presented, but are servants of an "active" Ancients site and psionically bound. They know little of the technology behind the devices they maintain.

3 - As #2, but they are active partners, practice extreme secrecy with regards to foreigners, and use psionic manipulation to mask their travels into Vargr and Human space. They avoid the Zhodani. Most of their travels are to further coreward for reasons they do not or cannot explain.

4 - The Dirvau exist, but are no more technologically advanced than the Vargr in general and lag in specific areas. There are ruins of higher tech as described in the rumors, but none of it functions and the Dirvau cannot repair it.

5 - The Dirvau exist, but are no more unusual than the Urzaeng, having been the butt of a massive joke by other Vargr. They refuse to allow genetic testing to determine whether or not they ARE Urzaeng.

6 - The Dirvau are just a rumor. Like El Dorado, they are an aspiration and/or distraction myth.

7 - As #6, but only recently. They used to be (reroll).

8 - As #3, but so well hidden that they appear to be #6.

Blue Ghost June 17th, 2019 05:04 PM

Very cool.

Adding to my initial post; Dire Vargr (DirVar, Dirvau?) are notably more sympathetic towards "pack members", notably those who have suffered injuries or wounds in combat. The medical aid and general attitude towards the injured, wounded and fallen, is far more human like than in regular Vargr society. Some have made the observation that social attitudes towards healing the sick and injured in some ways surpass regular Vargr society.

Winged Cat June 17th, 2019 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Ghost (Post 602929)
Str; 3d6
Dex; 2d6
End; 3d6
Int; 2d6
Edu; 2d6
Cha; 2d6

Otherwise standard Vargr career generation.

Unique tech; Dire Vargr are a little more organized than their gray wolf cousins, and have managed to hang onto some samples of Ancient technology; notably that dealing with defense/military, food generation and medical. Dire Vargr society, for whatever reason, hasn't expanded beyond the Listanaya sector, in spite of having superior starship technology; antimatter is a known fuel source.

Mary Sue alert: they have mechanical benefits and no mechanical drawbacks as compared to standard chargen...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Ghost (Post 602929)
Society; Dire Vargr society is somewhat less mercurial than the rest of the extents, and comparatively stable and normal by human standards. Noteworthy are the less "drastic" color schemes around Dire Vargr worlds, possible as a result of having eyes more akin to humans than the comparatively color restrictive Vargr descended from gray wolves.

...and just plain closer to human, with no other consequences of note. (Which is only a factor in combination with the above.)

What is their relation with the Agents of Eloeghoe and the League Alliance (the already known polities in Listanaya)? Do they oppose? Ally with? Constitute large parts or the entirety of?

Blue Ghost June 18th, 2019 12:39 AM

Dire Wolf template
 
I haven't given it much thought. Current theory is that the dire wolf was, again in theory, more caring for their pack members. Wolves with broken bones that healed suggests that the injured somehow managed to survive brutal injuries, which given their need to be mobile, would seem unlikely or impossible without assistance of some kind. Ergo some researchers are postulating other pack members brought them food as if they were feeding young. It may show that they dominated the North American hunting grounds over the gray wolf ancestors because of a combination of size and less "Spartan like" attitudes towards pack members who needed assistance. Ergo I wrote them up as more organized, and not really a "Mary Sue" idealization of what I think Vargr should be.

Thanks.

The Pakkrat June 18th, 2019 07:41 AM

Nakagun Neighbors
 
I wonder what the Nakagun Vargr who are culturally psionic and ostracized from mainstream Vargr space would say to the presence of Dire Vargr in Listanaya Sector.

Blue Ghost June 18th, 2019 08:10 AM

As I sit at my desk doing a slow burn because both PG&E and the water district came out to do a little maintenance at 3AM, I think I should apologize for tone to Winged Cat. I moved up here to George Lucas land to get some peace and quiet, and hearing a drill and whatever else going on put me in a pretty foul mood.

Pakkrat, feel free to add something as per GypsyComet.

Winged Cat June 19th, 2019 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Ghost (Post 602995)
As I sit at my desk doing a slow burn because both PG&E and the water district came out to do a little maintenance at 3AM, I think I should apologize for tone to Winged Cat. I moved up here to George Lucas land to get some peace and quiet, and hearing a drill and whatever else going on put me in a pretty foul mood.

Apology accepted. I have heard much tales of the inconveniences PG&E has been inflicting.

That said, I stand by my assessment. This is a mechanically superior vargr, such that none would want to play others. I hope the following parody does not offend, but comparing this to Dire Vargr should hopefully illustrate the problem.

Quote:

Direr Vargr
Average Height 2.2 meters
Dex 2d6, like normal
Str & End 4d6, because they're direr
Int & Edu 3d6, because they're Grandfather's chosen
Soc 2d6 which also works 1-for-1 as Cha, because they're raised to embrace models

Grandfather makes sure they are raised on his teachings - he has video recordings and robots to raise them.

They hang out in Grandfather's pocket dimensions, mostly doing his bidding. As a result, when one gets wanderlust or lost, they can show up anywhere.

Their society is much like humans' - or were most non-Solomani humans' social preferences modeled on these vargrs'?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.