Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Random Static (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   $2.50 for a Coke (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=35806)

Blue Ghost February 20th, 2016 04:39 AM

$2.50 for a Coke

30 seconds ago I just came back from the vending machine down the hall from my hotel room.

$2.50 for a Coke. :mad:

Okay. I know we're not living in the 1950s, and the days of the 10 Cent coke vending machine are long over.

But two dollars and fifty cents for a bottle, when I can buy a six pack at the store for $4?

Vending machines are a scam :nonono:

RandyB February 20th, 2016 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Ghost (Post 532115)
30 seconds ago I just came back from the vending machine down the hall from my hotel room.

Okay. I know we're not living in the 1950s, and the days of the 10 Cent coke vending machine are long over.

But two dollars and fifty cents for a bottle, when I can buy a six pack at the store for $4?

Vending machines are a scam :nonono:

Captive audience relative to alternative sources of supply, aka limited supply relative to demand. It's the same principle as food and beverage at movie theaters, amusement parks, and sporting events, among others.

No, I don't like being the purchaser in those situations. Understanding the economics does not mean that the result is to my liking.

JimMarn February 20th, 2016 11:56 AM

Yeah, captive audience.

I'm going to an sf convention soon. The vendor for the food, drinks, etc. has an exclusive contract with the convention center. No outside food or drink, or they charge the convention corkage fees that are the same as if the attendee had purchased it from the concession stand.

They went up over $2 for a can of soda some years ago. So some of us bring ice chests and drink sodas out in the parking lot. Or just leave and go eat elsewhere.

Of course, if there is some bigger event, we tend to not leave until its late and we go back to the hotel.

Blue Ghost February 20th, 2016 12:10 PM

A fairly decent motel I was in up in the north bay had a machine that charged a $1.75, which then I thought was outrageous (not more than three weeks ago), but paid for it anyway because otherwise I'd have to get on the freeway to go to the store.

Then another charged $2.00, again in the "wealthy" north bay, so I did opt for the store. But here I am in another part (less wealthy mind you) and they're gouging me. At least there's a Burger King down the street :mad:

Blue Ghost February 20th, 2016 12:38 PM

Stupid little post script here; you hear about staff or other guests breaking into your room and stealing stuff; cell phone, lap top, expensive stuff.

But, and this is funny, I have not had that happen to me. Instead I find that I have had to buy .... wait for it .... more underwear :)

I kid you not.

There should be a chapter in TTB under "Lesser Known Aspects of Travel" for this.

aramis February 20th, 2016 02:51 PM

In Econ, it is called "opportunity cost."

So, if a 6-pack is $4, cost per unit is $0.66 to the end user with the inconvenience of going to the store.

The $1.91 per can is the "opportunity cost" - how much the seller is charging for the oportunity to get it in the halls rather than walking down to the corner store.
You find lots of such opportunity cost pricing. In movie theaters. In airports. In bus and train stations. In schools.

atpollard February 20th, 2016 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 532133)
In Econ, it is called "opportunity cost."

So, if a 6-pack is $4, cost per unit is $0.66 to the end user with the inconvenience of going to the store.

The $1.91 per can is the "opportunity cost" - how much the seller is charging for the oportunity to get it in the halls rather than walking down to the corner store.
You find lots of such opportunity cost pricing. In movie theaters. In airports. In bus and train stations. In schools.

Which is why worlds in the Far Future tend towards stronger central governments and higher law levels ... to enforce 'equitable pricing' (at least on the worlds, between the worlds, the Megacorporations and Imperium set a different set of rules). ;)

timerover51 February 20th, 2016 04:30 PM

If I remember correctly, when I was in the Solomon Islands in 2002, I was paying $1 Solomon Island, equal to $0.16 US Dollars, for a 200 milliliter or about 7 ounce bottle of Coca-Cola. Note, there were glass bottles, and they were very carefully recycled back to the bottling plant at Honiara on Guadalcanal. That would come out to 80 cents for a liter.

The Bundaberg ginger beer, non-alcoholic, was quite a bit more expensive, being shipped in from Australia, but National Geographic was paying that bill. By the way, Ginger Beer is really great for sea-sickness.

AND IT IS NOW SOLD IN THE UNITED STATES. :):):)

The kids get me a 10-pack for Father's Day, and I hoard it carefully. The one beverage that I will prefer to coffee. :coffeegulp:

nobby-w February 20th, 2016 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Ghost (Post 532115)

[ . . . ]

You're paying for the location. I remember getting charged 2 euros for a can of Fanta at the train station in Venice. Having said that, Italian Fanta is quite nice - they have some pretty stiff competition from San Pellegrino. The recipe is different from many other countries and includes some orange juice.

nobby-w February 20th, 2016 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timerover51 (Post 532160)
[ . . .]
The Bundaberg ginger beer, non-alcoholic, was quite a bit more expensive, being shipped in from Australia, but National Geographic was paying that bill. By the way, Ginger Beer is really great for sea-sickness.
[ . . . ]

I always found Bundaberg to be a little sweet for my taste. Actually, drier ginger beers aren't all that thick on the ground. However, I believe you can get Fentimans on the other side of the pond now. Also recommended is their cola.