Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   The Lone Star (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Is gold worth anything in the 3I? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=39904)

Blue Ghost March 8th, 2019 03:02 PM

Is gold worth anything in the 3I?

Gold, like all the heavy metal and other rate elements, were created in stars, and are still extremely rare. Given that, is gold still a precious metal in the far future?

Arsenal March 8th, 2019 04:59 PM

I read somewhere that astronomers have found a star that has a large amount of gold in a debris field that surrounds it.

Gold is priced on several variables including: scarcity, store of value, use in industry. When demand fluctuates on one, two or all three of these variables, the price will change. So, even though there is a large supply of gold, like from the above star, you'll need to consider the amount of demand from the other two (or more) variables.

The gold miners/extractors could also control the amount of gold in the market, much like Anglo America and De Beers controls the supply of diamonds in the market. Then through beautiful or clever marketing, they can influence the demand for the diamonds. Years ago I saw a video from PBS on how De beers controls the market. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they have warehouses full of uncut diamonds that they won't release to the market because it will depress the price of diamonds.

So how would a megacorp in 3I influence the price of gold, an element that is used in industry? Are monopolies legal in 3I? If not, that could be the foundation for an adventure. Or maybe a planetary thru sub-sector sized corp is trying to monopolize the market. How will the local governments view this?

By the way, miners stop extracting gold when the price gets too low. Farmers will destroy an over supply of milk to raise the price. Some adventure right ideas there.

MThompson016 March 8th, 2019 05:41 PM

Well, it's an excellent conductor of electricity, it retains color, and is chemically non reactive. It may not command the price it does in our society, but it would be one that would pay the bills when recovered.

Condottiere March 8th, 2019 06:36 PM

Costume jewelry, and presumably upgraded toilet bowls.

atpollard March 8th, 2019 07:23 PM

Gold is listed as a commodity in one of the CT books ....

Cr 7054 per kg (Cr 8000/kg in T20)
A US Dime or a Eurocent made of Gold would be worth about Cr 50.

timerover51 March 9th, 2019 12:31 AM

The following comments appear in Adventure 2: Research Station Gamma, designed by Marc Miller.

Quote:

The alien says its people have many of these- perhaps they could be used as money? Perhaps the adventurer will agree; the coin is solid soft gold, always a valuable commodity. (page 4)
Quote:

Each coin is worth approximately Cr400 (two ounces of gold at Cr200 per ounce). (page 38)
Two Hundred Dollars per ounce was the average price of gold in 1978. As the is Marc writing, I would say that gold was worth about the same to the Imperium as it was on Earth.

Also, on page 23, the following comment appears.

Quote:

Approximately Cr123,OOO in Imperial currency.
Clearly the Imperium used a fair amount of currency in its daily business.

Blue Ghost March 9th, 2019 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atpollard (Post 599842)
Gold is listed as a commodity in one of the CT books ....

Cr 7054 per kg (Cr 8000/kg in T20)
A US Dime or a Eurocent made of Gold would be worth about Cr 50.

I'm guessing it's in the charts and tables in the commodities section. I forgot or didn't know oh well. So much for that theory.

atpollard March 9th, 2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Ghost (Post 599867)
I'm guessing it's in the charts and tables in the commodities section. I forgot or didn't know … oh well. So much for that theory.

Timerover51 found and quoted the reference [Adventure 2, page 38].
Cr 200 per ounce = Cr 7054 per kg.

T20 listed Gold as a commodity at Cr 8,000,000 per metric tonne (Cr 8,000 per kg).

Both values are in the same general ballpark and are about 100x the commodity price of Silver at Cr 70 per kg (Cr 70,000 per ton).

McPerth March 9th, 2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arsenal (Post 599831)
I read somewhere that astronomers have found a star that has a large amount of gold in a debris field that surrounds it.

Gold is priced on several variables including: scarcity, store of value, use in industry. When demand fluctuates on one, two or all three of these variables, the price will change. So, even though there is a large supply of gold, like from the above star, you'll need to consider the amount of demand from the other two (or more) variables.

The gold miners/extractors could also control the amount of gold in the market, much like Anglo America and De Beers controls the supply of diamonds in the market. Then through beautiful or clever marketing, they can influence the demand for the diamonds. Years ago I saw a video from PBS on how De beers controls the market. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they have warehouses full of uncut diamonds that they won't release to the market because it will depress the price of diamonds.

So how would a megacorp in 3I influence the price of gold, an element that is used in industry? Are monopolies legal in 3I? If not, that could be the foundation for an adventure. Or maybe a planetary thru sub-sector sized corp is trying to monopolize the market. How will the local governments view this?

By the way, miners stop extracting gold when the price gets too low. Farmers will destroy an over supply of milk to raise the price. Some adventure right ideas there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MThompson016 (Post 599834)
Well, it's an excellent conductor of electricity, it retains color, and is chemically non reactive. It may not command the price it does in our society, but it would be one that would pay the bills when recovered.

It is also an excellent radiation insulator...

But with the advent of crystalion metals, and latter super dense materials, I guess most of those properties will be better served with them...

Carlobrand March 9th, 2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arsenal (Post 599831)
...So how would a megacorp in 3I influence the price of gold, an element that is used in industry? ...

My guess is, with interstellar trade and a whole lotta potential sources, supply is pretty stable. Megacorps might be able to take advantage of localized scarcity by, say, securing a sweetheart arrangement with some planetary government to be the sole offworld supplier. It's just a matter of rewarding the planetary leaders adequately for letting you screw over their population. :devil: