Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   The Lone Star (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What is Canon? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=33177)

Tiikeri August 26th, 2014 03:50 AM

What is Canon?

What is considered OTU canon?

Of course CT and MT. Are any of their 3rd party publisher supplements considered non-canon? Are DGP products canon?

What about TNE?
GURPS Traveller?
Mongoose Traveller?

GypsyComet August 26th, 2014 09:42 AM

Canon is what it has always been: what the writers have to pay attention to, and what Marc Miller says it is.

Beyond that it can get harder to pin down, and it is best to not obsess over it too much.

Broadly speaking, no edition is 100% Canon down to the rivets, because every edition uses different rivets. The nuts and bolts of ship building and world generation change with every edition, specifically. There are enough people who obsess over the differences in the nuts and bolts already.
While T5 represents Marc's current thoughts on the subjects of ships and planets, it remains an "approximation for game purposes" of what is really going on.

For the broad strokes of history, the editions which spell out the Canon progression of the timeline include GURPS Interstellar Wars, Marc Miller's Traveller (aka T4), T20, Classic, Mega, TNE, the add-ons of 1248, and a few hints in T5. You can find an integrated timeline at Don's site ( http://dmckinne.winterwar.org/pdfs/T...edTimeline.pdf ) that boils that all down.

Beyond that, a lot of the little details are more variable than some people want to accept, some past attempts at details are no longer Marc's thoughts on the matter, and the hand, as it were, is still writing.

Charted Space is under revision, but the present state of the worlds can be found on any given day at the Traveller Map site. It gets updated, so if that type of detail is your cuppa, keep an eye on it. Unless a sector is specifically labeled as unofficial, it is the present Canon.

The Major Races have mostly been visited several times each. You can't go too wrong with the CT modules on them, though the Vilani and Aslan were, IMO, improved upon by DGP, and the Mongoose version of the Zhodani shows development and unifies prior material.

All that said, let me reiterate what I started with: Canon is for writers. As a Referee, your Traveller Universe is what you decide it is.

robject August 26th, 2014 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyComet (Post 488302)
The Major Races have mostly been visited several times each. You can't go too wrong with the CT modules on them, though the Vilani and Aslan were, IMO, improved upon by DGP, and the Mongoose version of the Zhodani shows development and unifies prior material.

For a sane and digestible synopsis of the Major Races, you can't go wrong with MegaTraveller's Imperial Encyclopedia. I've used it for all versions of Traveller I've ever run.

Tiikeri August 26th, 2014 03:22 PM

Thanks for the responses. I ask because of Hans' comments about MgT Sword Worlds, and I was wondering if there are any other publications I need to look out for, such as MgT Solomani.

One of my projects is to make an info packet for players about MTU so they have a something they can easily refer to to understand how MTU is different from the OTU. I wanted to know what are the official MWM approved baseline canon materials that I would use to keep MTU consistent with canon except where I specifically wanted to change it.

GypsyComet August 26th, 2014 10:41 PM

MGT Solomani isn't bad, IMO.

robject August 27th, 2014 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiikeri (Post 488327)
Thanks for the responses. I ask because of Hans' comments about MgT Sword Worlds [...]

A note: Hans' GURPS Traveller: Sword Worlds book is canonical, and should be on the "accepted" list of canon for any version of Traveller.

BlackBat242 August 27th, 2014 01:46 AM

Quote:

What is Canon?
A manufacturer of cameras.

Also, established doctrine and standardized teachings in a religion.

Take your pick.

rancke August 27th, 2014 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBat242 (Post 488355)
A manufacturer of cameras.

Also, established doctrine and standardized teachings in a religion.

Take your pick.

Also, the material accepted as part of the story in an individual fictional universe. Pick that.

(Also more than two dozen other things.)

Hans

BlackBat242 August 27th, 2014 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rancke (Post 488357)

The way many on CotI apply the term, my #2 definition is more accurate.

aramis August 28th, 2014 12:40 AM

Gentlemen -
Black Bat - you're right on the edge of insulting other members and/or trolling
Hans - Don't feed into trolling-like behavior.
Thank-you