Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Random Static (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   What is "thread capping"? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=39846)

Blue Ghost February 14th, 2019 02:42 PM

What is "thread capping"?

Can someone tell me what "thread capping" is? I've just come across this term recently, but don't understand it.

mike wightman February 14th, 2019 03:04 PM

Do you mean thread crapping?

Blue Ghost February 14th, 2019 03:16 PM

I guess, I'm not really sure. What is it?

mike wightman February 14th, 2019 03:19 PM

Shitting on a thread - posting stuff that derails or is contra to the point being discussed.

Thread drift is when people post stuff tangential to the thread but is still sort of relevant, thread crapping is akin to trolling in that the post deliberately derails the thread.

Blue Ghost February 14th, 2019 04:01 PM

Okay thanks.

whartung February 14th, 2019 05:19 PM

Also less explicitly known as "Thread Jacking".

BlackBat242 February 14th, 2019 10:38 PM

"Thread jacking" is also usually intended to redirect the thread but keep it going in some form.

"Thread crapping" is intended to destroy the continuing of the thread, either by convincing people to leave the thread or by getting a mod/admin to lock it.

kilemall February 14th, 2019 11:57 PM

I have to actually fight against this, happens in particular in a game where there are two established sides and a few 'accomplished forum warriors' will 'take one for the team' and poison a thread to the point it's closed, locked, and possibly sent off to a moderator's forum like some Phantom Zone.

Some references I am looking at refer to thread capping as being what I would call padding. In some online cultures post count indicates some sort of status, so people looking to I guess increase their SOC on that forum will write sideways or innocuous posts.

In OS work I would think of that term as constraints on thread count as a system resource limit of one sort or another.

aramis February 15th, 2019 03:47 AM

Mild thread-jack....
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBat242 (Post 599084)
"Thread crapping" is intended to destroy the continuing of the thread, either by convincing people to leave the thread or by getting a mod/admin to lock it.

Policy round here has been, since the early days, "ban the thread-crapper, soft-delete the posts, and leave the thread open."

It's only when the thread is leading to an inevitable violation that I tend to lock threads. Most especially when I type up a post, and realize it will trigger a call from Cryton going, "WTH were you thinking with that post!" And he's done the same the other way a few times. Occasionally, he or I will write a post, call the other, and wordsmith it jointly to prevent line crossing. Once, I soft-deleted a post of my own, with the reason, "Should I undelete this?"

It's also worth noting that only mods and admins can hard-delete posts. We see all the soft-deleted ones as collapsed to just the data bar, but can open and read them... My policy on that is, if it would have violated the rules, since they caught it before us, no infraction.

If you see thread-crapping, report it as such.
If you see a tangent that would be better as a separate thread, Tell us - use the report post.
If you see a thread that shouldn't be separate from another, report one and include the URL of the other.

Note that we sometimes take up to a week to come to staff consensus on various issues... but all staff are permitted to make unilateral decisions on infractions. We review them all, tho', and sometimes reversals happen.