Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Random Static (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Another Strephon (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=39412)

timerover51 September 24th, 2018 04:44 AM

Another Strephon

I came across the following verse while reading through Mr. Punch's Book of Love: Being the Humours of Courtship and Matrimony, found on Project Gutenberg. Yes, it is that "Punch", the London humor magazine. As I have never seen the name "Strephon" appear anywhere besides Traveller, I thought that it was quite interesting. I will have to include it in my store of odd and off-beat trivia.

Quote:

Yes, I allow
Strephon's more showy;
As for me, now
I prefer Chloe.

Whipsnade September 24th, 2018 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timerover51 (Post 593261)
As I have never seen the name "Strephon" appear anywhere besides Traveller...

You need to get out more.

Strephon is a character in a Gilbert and Sullivan comic opera called - wait for it - Iolanthe.

Iolanthe is a fairy who fell in love with a mortal man and married him. She then bore him a son named - wait for it - Strephon.

The opera premiered in 1882. Check that date against the Punch book.

Gray Lensman September 24th, 2018 04:04 PM

Just goes to show how almost anything written can be useful for creating a setting! :coffeegulp:

jcrocker September 24th, 2018 08:38 PM

It's not the first name GDW borrowed from the Brits.

I was quite surprised to find out about the real-life Lord Lucan, that case was a bit before my time.

Given that namesake, you can see that Strephon's nephiew wasn't going to turn out well.

Whipsnade September 24th, 2018 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcrocker (Post 593298)
I was quite surprised to find out about the real-life Lord Lucan, that case was a bit before my time.

Isn't it pretty much agreed that the SOB hid out in Africa for decades after faking his own death?

Quote:

Given that namesake, you can see that Strephon's nephiew wasn't going to turn out well.
Never liked their choice of that name. It was either a bad attempt at making an obscure in-joke or a bit hamfisted foreshadowing. Neither was GDW's usual style.

jcrocker September 24th, 2018 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whipsnade (Post 593299)
Isn't it pretty much agreed that the SOB hid out in Africa for decades after faking his own death?

I haven't followed the case that closely. When I first came across the case, the conventional wisdom was that he'd drowned himself by accident or on purpose. Which would track with the 'faking own death' quite nicely.

Of course, when I was posting this tonight, I did a quick web search to see if it would still come up - I don't know how google tracks searches on British Barons suspected of murder that vanished in the early 70s - and one of the hits was that the man's brother passed away recently, in South Africa, and he had an unpublished book he'd been working on.

Be a bit disappointing if it was a cook book.

Kilgs September 24th, 2018 09:53 PM

C'mon... give the folks at GDW a break. ;) Everyone has to get inspiration from somewhere... at least we couldn't trace any names back to horrible 80's/90's cartoons because the writers were stuck watching them with their kids.

[Yes. I have named an NPC based off a modified name from My Little Pony... I have a 5yo girl. Do not judge. I said, don't judge!]

Ulsyus September 25th, 2018 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilgs (Post 593303)
[Yes. I have named an NPC based off a modified name from My Little Pony... I have a 5yo girl. Do not judge. I said, don't judge!]

At least the others in your group would not have likely picked up on the source of the name, adding to it's apparent originality!

Condottiere September 25th, 2018 01:39 AM

Lord Bingham succeeded his father as 3rd Earl of Lucan in the Peerage of Ireland on 30 June 1839 and, having become an Irish Representative Peer in June 1840[7] and having been promoted to colonel on 23 November 1841, he became Lord Lieutenant of Mayo in 1845.[3] During the Great Famine in the late 1840s, he acted in a sufficiently clumsy and insensitive manner, by introducing mass evictions from villages such as Ballinrobe, that he earned the hatred of many of the local people and became known as "The Exterminator".[8] He was promoted to major general on 11 November 1851.[9]

Lucan received an order from Raglan and in turn ordered Cardigan to lead the Charge of the Light Brigade, resulting in heavy British casualties without significant gains.[12]

Barrel September 25th, 2018 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilgs (Post 593303)
C'mon... give the folks at GDW a break. ;) Everyone has to get inspiration from somewhere... at least we couldn't trace any names back to horrible 80's/90's cartoons because the writers were stuck watching them with their kids.

Traveller characters named after the Herculoids would be awesome!;)

Zok, the laser-ray dragon! Igoo, the giant rock ape! Tundro the tremondous! Gloop and Gleep, the formless fearless wonders!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbz8OL3kYyk