Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Traveller Wargames (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   The Rebellion (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=36179)

LeperColony May 25th, 2016 06:35 AM

The Rebellion

Any FFW enthusiasts crazy enough to want to talk about modeling The Rebellion?

Spinward Scout May 25th, 2016 08:34 AM

Do you mean The Rebellion from Star Wars?

LeperColony May 25th, 2016 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinward Scout (Post 539818)
Do you mean The Rebellion from Star Wars?

No, I mean The Rebellion from MegaTraveller.

Spinward Scout May 25th, 2016 09:16 AM

Sorry, there was a boardgame recently released called Rebellion.

LeperColony May 25th, 2016 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinward Scout (Post 539826)
Sorry, there was a boardgame recently released called Rebellion.

No worries. I've heard good things about that game, been meaning to try it.

McPerth May 25th, 2016 11:27 AM

IMHO, trying to play the Rebellion with FFW rules would be like trying to play the Battle of England or the US bombing campaign over Germany in WWII with AH Air Force rules...

You might find this thread interesting about playing it. There I told about an idea for it I had many years ago...

LeperColony May 25th, 2016 11:48 AM

When I was in college I modeled a rough outline of a Rebellion scale game. It used a strategic movement component and a point-to-point movement system that reduced subsectors to a few spots and units to a fleet scale.

McPerth May 25th, 2016 12:03 PM

As you can see in the suggested rules I posted in the other thread, it was subsector/fleet scale diplomacy like game (though a little more detailed to represent the gradual attrition of the fleets).

LeperColony May 25th, 2016 12:12 PM

Yeah, I think any attempt to model The Rebellion with anything like FFW's detail would either have to:

1) Enlarge the scale (probably subsector/fleet)

2) Abstract a lot of mechanics like SDBs and maybe even ground forces as a whole

3) Use a variable scale, with both a strategic component for moving whole fleets and a "zoom in" tactical scale for operations similar to FFW. This would only really be feasible with a computer program.

Whipsnade May 29th, 2016 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeperColony (Post 539851)
Yeah, I think any attempt to model The Rebellion with anything like FFW's detail...

Unless you're keen on creating the sci-fi version of The Campaign for North Africa you're not going to model The Rebellion with anything that remotely resembles FFW.

Quote:

1) Enlarge the scale (probably subsector/fleet)
Even that scale isn't big enough. Discounting the Marches, Deneb, and Corridor you're looking a region of ~20 sectors and parts of sectors at 16 subsectors apiece. What's more, all of those subsectors are not even remotely equal on a economic, military, or political basis.

Fleets, because there is a frontline and reserve fleet per subsector, have the same problem.

You're going to being using regions; groupings that represent single important subsectors or a variable number of less important subsectors.

Quote:

Abstract a lot of mechanics like SDBs and maybe even ground forces as a whole
SDBs and ground forces are going to be abstracted to such a point that they won't even be mentioned outside of the rules; i.e. A region's defense rating includes such factors as SDBs, ground forces, .....

Quote:

3) Use a variable scale, with both a strategic component for moving whole fleets and a "zoom in" tactical scale for operations similar to FFW. This would only really be feasible with a computer program.
Variable scales work rather poorly in FTF wargaming because they usually lack a "focus" for actual play. By trying to develop a game that covers strategic, operational, and tactical play equally well, you often end up not developing any of those scales well enough.

For example, Avalanche Press' various releases in the Great War at Sea series work because the strategic system is used to create tactical battles. GDW's versions of Imperium work because, while there is a ground combat subsystem, the focus of the game is the strategic movement of and combat between ships. Conversely, AP's version of Imperium failed because it tried to place equal focus on strategic ship movement, tactical ship combat, and ground campaigns.

The Kingmaker suggestion in the thread McPerth linked is perhaps the best starting point from which to develop a Rebellion game. Even then, Kingmaker's level of complexity will have to be dialed back.