Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Traveller: The New Era (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Canon Problems with TNE books (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=36080)

robject May 4th, 2016 05:52 PM

Canon Problems with TNE books

I have to ask. Are there any known canon problems in any TNE material?

Note that I'm not including HEPlaR as a canon problem. I tend to chalk that up as a difference in physics engines rather than a setting difference. I might be wrong in drawing that conclusion, but I don't think so.

epicenter00 June 17th, 2016 05:03 AM

Dredging up an old thread but...

What do you mean by canon problems? Anything in TNE that conflicts with "the rest" of Traveller? I think since 1248 came out, a lot of the "issues" of TNE were subsumed into 1248. 1248 is "canon" still, I think (?).

Most of the other potential gatchas are technological:

You've already mentioned HePlaR.

I've been told that as of T5, Meson Gun technology has been reviewed. I don't own T5 myself, so I can't say 100%, but I was told that in T5 Meson Guns cannot operate planetside or something to that effect. Both deep-site Meson Guns (for planetary defense) and Meson Sleds (tanks armed with meson guns as stand-ins for artillery) both figure pretty heavily in TNE. A few scenarios in Path of Tears feature worlds with Deep-Site Meson Guns. Meson Sleds figure in that fighting vehicles of the Regency supplement. I'm not sure if one or both of these are counter-canon now.

aramis June 17th, 2016 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epicenter00 (Post 542400)
Dredging up an old thread but...

What do you mean by canon problems? Anything in TNE that conflicts with "the rest" of Traveller? I think since 1248 came out, a lot of the "issues" of TNE were subsumed into 1248. 1248 is "canon" still, I think (?).

Most of the other potential gatchas are technological:

You've already mentioned HePlaR.

I've been told that as of T5, Meson Gun technology has been reviewed. I don't own T5 myself, so I can't say 100%, but I was told that in T5 Meson Guns cannot operate planetside or something to that effect. Both deep-site Meson Guns (for planetary defense) and Meson Sleds (tanks armed with meson guns as stand-ins for artillery) both figure pretty heavily in TNE. A few scenarios in Path of Tears feature worlds with Deep-Site Meson Guns. Meson Sleds figure in that fighting vehicles of the Regency supplement. I'm not sure if one or both of these are counter-canon now.

Deep Meson Sites existed in CT canon, as well as one Deep Disintegrator Site (A3).

Searching on "Meson" within T5.09, I can find no limiter to space use only.

whulorigan June 17th, 2016 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epicenter00 (Post 542400)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 542413)
Searching on "Meson" within T5.09, I can find no limiter to space use only.

The only thing I can see is that under T5.09, the minimum emplacement size for Meson Guns for starships are 200 dton "Main Weapon" Bays at TL13. Presumably you could reduce this size somewhat by TL15 using Stage-effects. So Meson Guns take up more space under T5.09 than CT/MT (under CT/MT you could fit a starship-grade Meson Gun into a 50 dton bay).

That may or may not effect self-propelled battlefiled-size meson weapons (but Deep Sites should be unaffected). However, I cannot see any provision in GunMaker for any type of Battlefied-sized Meson Weapon (there is no designator listed for "Meson").

aramis June 17th, 2016 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whulorigan (Post 542419)
The only thing I can see is that under T5.09, the minimum emplacement size for Meson Guns for starships are 200 dton "Main Weapon" Bays at TL13. Presumably you could reduce this size somewhat by TL15 using Stage-effects. So Meson Guns take up more space under T5.09 than CT/MT (under CT/MT you could fit a starship-grade Meson Gun into a 50 dton bay).

That may or may not effect self-propelled battlefiled-size meson weapons (but Deep Sites should be unaffected). However, I cannot see any provision in GunMaker for any type of Battlefied-sized Meson Weapon (there is no designator listed for "Meson").

Under Striker, a TL15 Factor 1 fit in a a tank... or a turret. (Note that it would need to be a double-size turret, like a Fusion or Plasma gun)

Under TNE, I was able to fit one to a suit of heavy battledress.

Also note: MGT1 lowered the TL on Meson Bays considerable. 50T and 100T at TL 11, instead of MT's TL 15, and TL13.

Canon's all over the bloody place on Meson Guns.

LeperColony September 13th, 2016 01:37 AM

I just noticed that under TNE World Generation, you can have reach TL 20. You can actually get higher than 20, but the rules cap you at 20.

aramis September 13th, 2016 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeperColony (Post 549154)
I just noticed that under TNE World Generation, you can have reach TL 20. You can actually get higher than 20, but the rules cap you at 20.

Only one edition has significant coverage of TL 22+.

T5. TNE's coverage in FF&S is mostly to TL 20, with several TL21 subsystems.

mike wightman September 13th, 2016 02:05 PM

CT the maximum TL you could generate using the tables as written is TL20.

MT included technology that went as high as TL 21 - so FF&S is on par with MT.

aramis September 13th, 2016 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 549178)
CT the maximum TL you could generate using the tables as written is TL20.

MT included technology that went as high as TL 21 - so FF&S is on par with MT.

Lets see... Showing the math on that.

1d: 6
SP A: 6
Size 0-1 Atm 0-3 Hyd <6= +3
Alt Size 5+ Atm A+ Hyd A+ = 3
Pop A: +4
Gov 5: +1

6+6+3+2+1 = 20.

CHecking TNE core: same limits, due to same table. Expanding a bit...

You can't get the Size 0-1 and Atm A+ & Water A+ using mainworld generation. (You can when making moons in the outer zone... but then you lose the possibility of Pop A).

LeperColony September 13th, 2016 09:25 PM

My point was more that I didn't think it was possible to have TL 20 in the TNE era (or the CT era, for that matter). I know the Darrians were TL 16, and I think there are some TL 17 worlds, but TL 20?