Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   The Lone Star (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Archdukes and emperors are beyond the normal scope of play (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=23758)

Shonner January 5th, 2011 05:04 AM

Archdukes and emperors are beyond the normal scope of play

Archdukes and emperors are beyond the normal scope of play. Agree or disagree?

aramis January 5th, 2011 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shonner (Post 365090)

agree, but only because you put the word "normal" in there.

snapshotbygdw January 5th, 2011 08:11 AM

Agree anyone that high up the social ladder will be in the public eye too much to get away with most of the things my players would want to do. Though a highly placed court member makes a good "string puller" especially if they are so high up they are practically untouchable!

rancke January 5th, 2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapshotbygdw (Post 365107)
Agree anyone that high up the social ladder will be in the public eye too much to get away with most of the things my players would want to do. Though a highly placed court member makes a good "string puller" especially if they are so high up they are practically untouchable!

That's why I've long been of the opinion that the normal character generation system ought to stop short of generating generals, admirals, planetaty royalty, etc. And WELL short of generating Imperial nobles.

Hans

rancke January 5th, 2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 365101)
agree, but only because you put the word "normal" in there.

Agreed. It's perfectly possible to run a campaign involving members of high society or even very high society. But they wouldn't be running free traders or mercenary squads.

Hans

HG_B January 5th, 2011 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rancke2 (Post 365109)
That's why I've long been of the opinion that the normal character generation system ought to stop short of generating generals, admirals, planetaty royalty, etc. And WELL short of generating Imperial nobles.

Hans

I only allow char Gen to create Nobles if it is for a specific game (although I allow an ACTUAL odds roll if a player wants but, that requires LOTS of D10's). I also don't usually run games with geriatric characters at the beginning.

Vargas January 5th, 2011 09:27 AM

I guess I should have keyed more on the word "normal" but I don't see any reason why a game can't be run at that social strata.

Blue Ghost January 5th, 2011 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shonner (Post 365090)

Depends on what you consider normal. Based on some of the stories the players have told here, to me it seems like a lot of people want the big high-profile drama session; i.e. save the Imperium and/or galaxy kind of stuff.

E.D.Quibell January 5th, 2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vargas (Post 365115)
I guess I should have keyed more on the word "normal" but I don't see any reason why a game can't be run at that social strata.

The problem with "that social strata" is the very limiting % population there is at that level, and the enormaty of the power base and influance that they hold.

Imperial Nobles hold the Imperial Mandate for their world/system/county/dutchy. Playing at that level would make the US President look like a town counciler.

Becomming a Knight in the Imperium is a "Big Thing" as you become part of the Imperial fabric and command the attention and the ear of the Imperial armed forces.

SOC is a very under used and appreciated attribute.

Best regards,

Ewan

HG_B January 5th, 2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.D.Quibell (Post 365124)
Imperial Nobles hold the Imperial Mandate for their world/system/county/dutchy. Playing at that level would make the US President look like a town councilor.

Yep, most people I've played with don't realize the amount of power wielded by Imperial Nobles (members of the Moot & Imperial family). It is FAR beyond what we are used to living in Earth democratic countries as we do.