Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Mongoose Traveller (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Any non system goodies? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=15747)

Gallowglacht May 5th, 2008 11:16 AM

Any non system goodies?

Assuming I don't want to use the Mongoose system, how much of this edition would I find useful? What cool bits could I steal?

robject May 5th, 2008 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gallowglacht (Post 260406)
Assuming I don't want to use the Mongoose system, how much of this edition would I find useful? What cool bits could I steal?

You could use chargen, equipment customization rules (nicely done), and ship design, without having to use the game engine.

Plankowner May 5th, 2008 11:45 AM

The character generation is nice because it gives some more details about what happened during that 4 year chunk. There are Life Events and Mishaps and other Events.

Also, the connection rule is a good way to explain why all these diverse characters ended up together. Skills might be a bit light for whatever edition of Traveller rules you like, but that can be fixed by giving more skills per term (MGT gives 1 plus 1 for promotion).

GypsyComet May 5th, 2008 09:39 PM

Assuming you don't already have TNE, the MGT book also revives the concept of Ship Shares.

Gallowglacht May 6th, 2008 04:22 AM

I have CT (reprint), friend has MT, I have TNE, friend has T4, I have GURPS Traveller and T20. Kinda want Mongoose for completeness, but need convincing.

Vargas May 6th, 2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gallowglacht (Post 260556)
I have CT (reprint), friend has MT, I have TNE, friend has T4, I have GURPS Traveller and T20. Kinda want Mongoose for completeness, but need convincing.

Following that progression isn't it your friend's turn to buy the game? ;)

tbeard1999 May 6th, 2008 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gallowglacht (Post 260406)

Assuming they kept the playtest starship design rules, they make a nice replacement for Book 2 starship construction rules. BTW, I'm still waiting for my pre-ordered copy. Anyone else still waiting?

Gallowglacht May 7th, 2008 05:17 AM

Good point

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vargas (Post 260675)
Following that progression isn't it your friend's turn to buy the game? ;)

Oh yeah, didn't think of that.

Morgan, if you're reading this, buy Mongoose Traveller.

Golan2072 May 7th, 2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbeard1999 (Post 260689)
BTW, I'm still waiting for my pre-ordered copy. Anyone else still waiting?

I'm waiting for my pre-ordered book as well, but I'm in Israel and shipping here typically takes quite a long time even with air-mail.

tbeard1999 May 7th, 2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golan2072 (Post 260752)
I'm waiting for my pre-ordered book as well, but I'm in Israel and shipping here typically takes quite a long time even with air-mail.

Well, I did preorder rather late (April 9), so I imagine my order is near the end of the queue.

UPDATE: Got a response from Mongoose. They've sold out of the initial printing, but expect more in by Friday. Since the consumer's purpose in preordering is to get a copy of the game as soon as possible, this is unwelcome news. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that preorders should have been fulfilled ahead of distributor orders (unless, of course, the distributors also prepaid for their copies; in that case I have no problem with "first come, first served")). In any case, the quantity of preorders was known, so it seems inexcusable that enough copies were not retained from the initial print run to fulfill them. At the very least, I should have been alerted by email so I could decide whether to buy from a local game store or wait for Mongoose to fulfill it.

Of course, this is something of a Traveller tradition as well. I recall the preorder fiasco with Imperium Games when T4 came out. Still, it's annoying. I don't imagine I'll be preordering again.