Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Play by Post - OOC (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Wanderer (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=14070)

robject September 23rd, 2007 09:06 PM

Wanderer

The largest city, Rijalan, is home to about 250,000 people, covers a bit over 6 square miles, and has a huge number of shops.

It has about a thousand each of:
Shoemakers
Furriers
Tailors
Barbers

About 600 each of:
Jewelers
Taverns/Restaurants
Used clothing shops

About 500 each of:
Pastry shops
Masons
Carpenters

About 350 each of:
Weavers
Chandlers
Mercers
Coopers
Bakers
Fishmongers

About 250 each of:
Water-carriers
Scabbard-makers
Wine sellers
Hat makers
Saddlers
Chicken Butchers
Purse makers
Butchers

Around 175 each of:
Beer sellers
Buckle makers
Plasterers
Spice merchants
Blacksmiths
Painters

Around 125 each of:
Doctors
Roofers
Locksmiths
Bath-houses
Rope makers
Inns
Tanners
Copyists
Sculptors
Rug makers
Harness makers
Bleachers

About 100 each of:
Hay merchants
Cutlers
Woodsellers
Glove makers
Woodcarvers

About 80 each of:
Magic shops (reagents and scroll-paper, not imbued items)
Book binders
Illuminators

And about 25 booksellers.

There are about 1,250 noble households, 300 lawyer/scribes, 200 priests, and about 1500 law enforcers.

Jame September 29th, 2007 07:02 PM

What's the racial mix? How many elves/dwarves/humans/etc?

*Wondered when play will resume, until he noticed that robject had put something up (and had responded to it)*

robject October 2nd, 2007 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jame (Post 237381)
What's the racial mix? How many elves/dwarves/humans/etc?

*Wondered when play will resume, until he noticed that robject had put something up (and had responded to it)*

I haven't decided how to deal with dwarves, but the human:elf ratio is about 5:1. I'd like some slightly exotic people here too, such as a reptilian people and a winged people.

Jame October 2nd, 2007 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robject (Post 237597)
I haven't decided how to deal with dwarves, but the human:elf ratio is about 5:1. I'd like some slightly exotic people here too, such as a reptilian people and a winged people.

Hmmm... Lizardfolk... Semi-warmblooded creature, still does prefer warm places, can hold their breath twice long as a human of equal endurance; +1 Str -1 Dex +1 End 2d6 Int, 1d6+3 Edu, 1d6+2 Soc.

Some are friendly to humans, while some are exceptionally hostile; most are neutral and stay home.

Just as a reminder, Golan2072 and I created a fantasy creatures list; my version is here: http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Dis...ad.php?t=13311

robject October 3rd, 2007 07:11 PM

Characters who have magical power should determine psi points and skills per CT rules, then consult these rules here.

Magic is a major departure from CT, and therefore stresses me out.

Nevertheless, I'm trying out two 'enabling' magical skills: Imbue and Totem. Every magic person/creature has these at some level.

Imbue allows the character to convert psi points into temporary modifications on herself, others, or things. Thus Arun can heal himself because he has some level of Imbue.

Totem allows a player to 'see' things on a magical level. A kind of 'detect magic' ability by itself.

Psi skills plus these two magical skills yields five disciplines, stolen from Hardy's "Master of the Five Magics":

Telekenesis + Imbue yields the magical skill of Thaumaturgy.

Awareness + Imbue yields the magical skills of Alchemy and Magic.

Life Sense + Totem yields the magical skill of Wizardry.

Teleport is its own reward, and remains as-is.

Clairvoyance + Totem yields the magical skill of Sorcery.

Thaumaturgy (or magical engineering) which is governed by The Principle of Sympathy (Like Produces Like) and The Principle of Contagion (Once Together, Always Together)

This resembles telekenesis, in that this magic is used for similar physical effects. But, I've not thought through its full implications.

Alchemy (traditional potion-making) with its Doctrine of Signatures (The Attributes Without Mirror the Powers Within)

This may be a combination of awareness and the 'drugs' chapter in CT. Arun has skill in Alchemy.

Magic (permanent item creation by ritual means) which obeys The Maxim of Persistence (Perfection Is Eternal)

This is how items can be imbued with magical power -- typically a very costly action.

Sorcery (the power of charms and farseeing) which holds to The Rule of Three (Thrice Spoken, Once Fulfilled)

This is like Clairvoyance which requires a 'focus' of the seer in order to work properly. This skill is the most like the Traveller psi skill.

Wizardry (demonology) which is governed by The Law of Ubiquity (Flame Permeates All) and The Law of Dichotomy (Dominance or Submission).

This is how people get into big trouble. Demons can be weak or powerful, but relying on them drains one's sanity.

Plankowner October 5th, 2007 11:27 AM

Dwarves in Wanderer

Recommendation for Dwarves:
+1 STR, -1 DEX

Tend to use Cross-bows rather than Long/Short bows and axes and maces rather than swords.

Have the MAGIC Discipline automatically (or at least much more easily than the basic PSI tables would allow) making Dwarves the main source of Magic Items in the world (which is similar to Norse mythology).

They are NOT good sailors (Dwarves sink) and live in the mountains to the North (Alps?).

With Regards to the Setting, Dwarves are probably not normally seen there and only rarely visit. They are strange and very little is known about them and most of it is probably wrong (Dwarven women DO have beards though!)

Plankowner October 5th, 2007 12:16 PM

Rob, is it OK that I didn't post any of the rolls but just described the action or do you want everything?

robject October 5th, 2007 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plankowner (Post 237882)
Rob, is it OK that I didn't post any of the rolls but just described the action or do you want everything?

That was just fine, especially since the Arena is the introduction and has been done twice already.

robject October 5th, 2007 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plankowner (Post 237876)
Recommendation for Dwarves:
+1 STR, -1 DEX

Tend to use Cross-bows rather than Long/Short bows and axes and maces rather than swords.

Have the MAGIC Discipline automatically (or at least much more easily than the basic PSI tables would allow) making Dwarves the main source of Magic Items in the world (which is similar to Norse mythology).

They are NOT good sailors (Dwarves sink) and live in the mountains to the North (Alps?).

With Regards to the Setting, Dwarves are probably not normally seen there and only rarely visit. They are strange and very little is known about them and most of it is probably wrong (Dwarven women DO have beards though!)

No worries. Dwarves have Magic, plus I'll throw in standard Awareness as described in Book 3.

How exciting. Now I have another character to somehow weave into the plot.

Jame October 5th, 2007 04:23 PM

For purposes of the out-of-character thread, here is my Wanderer character as of prior to leaving Riajlan.

Arun Starglow, Half-Elf ranger (male), 89BC57-8 Bow-2 Recon-2 Sword-1 Survival-1 Low-light vision, Imbue Magic-6 Alchemy-6; skills: heal self, increase Dexterity.

Scale Mail (Treat as Mesh+1) Shortbow (2D damage and NOT 1D!) and 50 arrows, 3 quivers, a bull's-eye oil lamp and some oil, 5 torches, a very good dagger, a new waterskin, a flint and steel (in case of need of fire) a backpack, a new belt pouch (his old one got stolen, but it was empty) and a traveler's cloak (if it has pockets). ~50 gold (unless Robject says differently).