Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Play by Post - OOC (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   captain (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=40266)

vegas September 3rd, 2019 05:04 PM

I think I'm ready as I'll ever be. Fantasy football draft is tonight. Otherwise...

flykiller September 4th, 2019 12:07 AM

what's the character's name? some light history too if you like. then we'll begin.

vegas September 9th, 2019 01:19 PM

OK, a name...

Karnish Baidexsi.
He is Sylean. (I have my own views of what that means culturally. Probably doesn't matter much, unless it matters to you.)

Backstory...

I don't have a great inspiration, so I'd rather make up most of his backstory as we go along. However, looking at his UPP I see a fellow who is:

totally unremarkable physically,
highly intelligent and highly educated,
upper class.

From that I figure...

Karnish has always been smart enough to recognize his limitations physically, but his ego was still a bit bruised about it in his youth when masculinity demands athleticism. Nevertheless, he is well over that as an adult.

He attended college... make that the naval academy, and he excelled. He is ambitious and takes his first command quite seriously.

vegas September 11th, 2019 04:10 PM

I have no idea if working aboard ship or even staying aboard while the ship is in port makes any sense in the real world. Presumably offices are readily available, arent' they? But regardless, I imagine that as this is his first command and he is leaving in days, he would like to see the vessel for himself right away and get acclimated to his work situation where he will be spending the next few months... unless that is totally beyond the bounds of protocol.

I have a question about the orders and rules of engagement (maybe Karnish does too, but I'm posting it here because maybe the answer is obvious to those with experience reading orders.)

He is (among other things) "...authorized to detain and search and investigate any vessel and crew..." and he is to verify various matters regarding Zhodani, Imperials, and locals. But he is also instructed that they "may return fire if fired upon" and yet he can "take all appropriate measures to defend your ship, your mission..."

So I just don't understand what exactly that all means for use of force. He can detain, but can't fire until fired upon? Does that means he just asks nicely or bluffs to get what he wants? Or do "appropriate measures" to defend the mission include use of force if somebody does not want to be detained or allow him to verify what he needs to? Or something else altogether?

Thanks for helping a dumb civilian out.

PS - I have never played or run an active-service campaign before, so I might have lots of dumb questions like this. I am realizing it will be fun to learn this stuff and maybe I'd be able to run such a game sometime and give it a sheen of verisimilitude from this experience.

flykiller September 11th, 2019 09:05 PM

Quote:

staying aboard while the ship is in port
homeport: officers are expected to "get the job done" and will remain aboard or not as they can and please. many enlisted will try to live off-ship, especially those with families, while many junior enlisted will not be able to afford doing so.

foreign ports: officers are expected to "get the job done" and will remain aboard or not as they can and please. enlisted will live aboard but will sight-see as much as they can (this has always been a major attraction to naval service - "join the navy and see the world").

workups: getting ready to deploy. the same as homeport, except much more time aboard.

Quote:

can't fire until fired upon?
no. he may return fire if fired upon, but he doesn't have to. he may take all appropriate measures to defend his ship and mission and imperial interests, but is not to be gun-happy.

Quote:

Does that means he just asks nicely or bluffs to get what he wants?
he can try that.

Quote:

Or do "appropriate measures" to defend the mission include use of force if somebody does not want to be detained or allow him to verify what he needs to?
judgment call. and yes, the admirals will second-guess him on his return.

Quote:

I have never played or run an active-service campaign before
crash course.

vegas September 12th, 2019 12:03 AM

I can work with all that.

vegas September 18th, 2019 12:52 AM

Thanks for the work you do on all these write ups.

FYI - I was imagining proceeding thusly (baring unforseen developments):
1) Karnish will have a short conversation with Maye when she arrives at his cabin and then he sends her off to work.
2) Karnish spends the rest of the afternoon reading reports. This I imagine being accomplished with cinematic scene-fade-to-black rather than you actually writing much more.
3) Karnish and Maye and the port reps meet in the morning and perform inspections. I imagine this being a cinematic cut-scene-fast-forward to the end of inspections.

I don't think I post any more until Maye arrives for 1).

I don't imagine 2) and 3) as role played because it would be too much work for you to write, and I don't have any idea how inpections would work (though I'm sure Karnish does.) I'd like the "game" result of doing 1) and 2) to be that Karnish is better prepared when out on patrol, and he has more insight on his officers, crew, and ship having conducted the inpsections and seen everyone in action.

flykiller September 19th, 2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Thanks
welcome.

Quote:

Karnish is better prepared when out on patrol, and he has more insight on his officers, crew, and ship having conducted the inpsections and seen everyone in action.
noted, but work that into the game thread (played out if possible, stated outright if necessary) so that anyone reading it has the full game story.

flykiller September 19th, 2019 03:58 PM

also, there's no way I'll have enough time to draw up a dedicated deckplan for the Peregrine, for now we'll use the Lu Hao (which I'd thought I had posted, I'll repost it today or tomorrow). internally it would be quite similar in size and function.

flykiller September 20th, 2019 07:43 PM

here's the lu hao. we'll ignore the 2nd deck (with the paws and main cargo bay) and the labs adjacent to medical, and just call the rest of it close enough.