Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Non-Traveller Gaming (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Dune ... GF9 Dune... (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=39663)

aramis December 18th, 2018 02:10 AM

Dune ... GF9 Dune...

Gail Force Nine (notable to me for their Firefly boardgame) has secured a license for Dune from Herbert Properties LLC. It's slated to have the bulk of the properties co-release with the 2020 Dune film (which is half the first novel).

buried in the press release is the following:
Quote:

Originally Posted by GF9 Dune Press Release
“With this master license, we are excited to collaborate with our peers and leverage their unique expertise to realize a complete spectrum of game types and authentic experiences,” continues Brisigotti. Slated for late 2019, their first collaboration is a tabletop role-playing game from Modiphius, publisher of celebrated games such as Star Trek Adventures, Fallout: Wasteland Warfare, Conan, Mutant Chronicles, Achtung! Cthulhu, and Tales from the Loop.

Press Release at: https://www.gf9.com/portals/0/all_im...ng_Release.pdf

I've a few trepidations over the involvement of Modiphius - oh, it's going to be great looking, and it's going to have all kinds of useful details - but I'm worried that there will not be crunchy enough mechanics.

slightly off-topic rant about Star Trek Adventures below[spoiler]
To be fair - with Star Trek Adventures, it didn't get in the way of good Trek RP. But it didn't provide mechanical support for it, nor strongly encourage it mechanically. As in, if the group didn't stick to Trek-like actions, the results weren't trek-like. This is quite different from some of the games I've enjoyed.

STA is pretty loose and very narrativist, but I like my narrativist games to have genre enforcement or support in the mechanics, so that even the unread can wind up with something close to the feel. STA doesn't do that.
[/quote]

Supplement Four December 18th, 2018 10:11 AM

I keep hoping Dune won't use 2d20.

mike wightman December 18th, 2018 01:24 PM

I share your concerns. To me a certain 2d6 system trumps the 2d20 system every time :)

That said the 2d20 system has various levels of crunch, and there are rather a lot of really good subsystems hidden within their various games.

If you check out Infinity you will find some of the best rules for interpersonal 'combat' in the Psywar chapter that could be ripped off whole cloth for the machinations of the Bene Gesserit. Their ship stuff in the GM book for Infinity is not bad at all (one of the few ship combat systems where heat management is included).

Physical combat has the greatest range of choice - Infinity, Conan, JCoM (can't comment on Mutant Chronicles since it's the one I haven't got yet).

I'm ok with 2d20 as the core system, let's face it I will be running it with either Traveller or Genesys regardless, although once my JCoM stuff arrives I will be giving that a thorough go.

There is a chance that they may use one of their other systems for the Dune engine - Coriolis, Cold and Dark, Mindjammer (FATE and Traveller versions) - but I'm not sure if they have licence to do that. They may even invent a new game system.

By the way this is old news, first announced in August, and as yet there has been no further info on the game system. I hope there is a kickstarter in the works...

aramis December 18th, 2018 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supplement Four (Post 596707)
I keep hoping Dune won't use 2d20.

So do I, but it's their only homegrown engine. Coriolis and Year Zero are licensed and essentially just translations; mindjammer is licenced, too... Albeit mindjammer is two different open licenses.

mike wightman December 19th, 2018 01:49 AM

One of which could be ported to CE with very little effort...

Supplement Four December 23rd, 2018 10:43 AM

How much interest is there here for the Dune RPG?

If it is not 2d20, I will most likely buy it.

mike wightman December 23rd, 2018 11:32 AM

I will kickstart it for the highest backer amount, even if it is 2d20 based.

aramis December 23rd, 2018 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 596971)
I will kickstart it for the highest backer amount, even if it is 2d20 based.

That's likely to be several hundred £...

whulorigan December 23rd, 2018 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supplement Four (Post 596969)
How much interest is there here for the Dune RPG?

I will but it.

kilemall December 24th, 2018 02:02 AM

My STA ship crew nails it like a show, we are pretty much aceing the game. But I think the mechanics are overly complex and precise, I keep wishing I could have easier die roll generation.