Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   TAS Opinion Polls (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   How would Mongoose Traveller and D&D 4E affect your Traveller gaming? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=13990)

Golan2072 September 13th, 2007 12:15 PM

How would Mongoose Traveller and D&D 4E affect your Traveller gaming?

Now that both Mongoose Traveller and the 4th edition of D&D have been announced, how would this affect your use of Traveller editions, T20 in particular?

aramis September 13th, 2007 01:44 PM

Re Mongoose:
If it's as good as MT, or better, it will become my primary ruleset.

If it's horrid, it will again reduce the available player base, but make them more amenable to MT.

Since I use T20 for several subsystems, not as a primary ruleset, it might completely replace or might be just as essential to my traveller gaming.

If its good, but not close enough to CT/MT in tone/feel/rules, it will produce a player base who will reject older systems. Much like GT did.

The best part, tho', is that the best parts of T20 might be ported to Mongoose if the TSTL works out well, and the core mongoose rules are good but not happy. (Like using Bk7 T&C...)

D&D 4E is still D20 based... no net effect.

Vargas September 13th, 2007 01:50 PM

I'm waiting to see what MongTrav looks like before I decide what to do. I currently use CT, (yes, I'm one of them), and it would have to remain true to the original spirit of the game for me to consider using it.

Sorry but I don't play D20 anything.

mbrinkhues September 13th, 2007 03:06 PM

Depends on the non-rules stuff they produce. I.e I am using some of their D20 Conan Stuff to flesh out my GURPS run Hyperborea scenarios.

So if they bring out interesting background, say "Antares - Doghouse of the Empire" or "Pirats of the Aslan Main" I will buy it. Basic rules I won't, I have TWO Traveller-Systems (GURPS, TNE) I am happy with and two more that are quite playabel (MT, T20)

kafka47 September 13th, 2007 03:28 PM

Naturally, I am going to wait...but I still voted that I will move over to Mongoose but that is because the BRP rules can do a better job at handling certain things. In addition, I realize that part of the OGL will expand the frontiers of the Traveller Universe and I want to be in on that.

As for 4e, my biggest waste of money was to acquire the main rulebooks for 3.5e and I am thoroughly disgusted with Hasbro's announcement...they simply are grabbing the brand and running it into the ground. For the only reason, I bought 3.5 was for its alleged loyality to an 1e feel.

SanDragon September 17th, 2007 06:41 PM

Go, MegaTraveller!!

Obviously, I use an older version. Or, have just confessed doing so.

First post since the re-vamping...

ChalkLine September 17th, 2007 06:45 PM

Mongoose has a poor reputation in my eyes; their D&D stuff was lame and I was utterly unimpressed by their RQ gear (but I am an RQ3 grognard).

MT still seems to work well

Nellkyn September 18th, 2007 06:08 AM

Although I've voted for 'I'll wait until both products come out and then decide' the reality is I'll most likely buy Mongoose Traveller but whether I'll use it is another matter. As for 4th edition it won't affect my playing of Traveller in any way possible. I've never played Traveller with T20 but I do own a copy.

selunatic2397 September 18th, 2007 04:26 PM

Since I play CT and 1st edition AD&D the new stuff doesn't really confront me...I will probably check out the traveller stuff..but the 4ED AD&D stuff can rot on the shelves before I will buy that stuff.

Rover September 19th, 2007 08:27 AM

I am very happy with T20 and don't really plan on switching. What I have seen so far has not really grabbed me, but that might all change with it actually comes out.

If anything else SciFi20 will have more of an effect on the game than T5 RTT or $th ed D&D.