Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Clement Sector (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Altrants (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=37815)

Gypsy Knights Games June 13th, 2017 02:14 PM

Altrants

Altrants. That's the word we use in Clement Sector to describe humans that have been altered to be different than the average baseline humans. In the setting book, we have altrants that have been engineered to better handle low gravity, those created to better handle high gravity, and those created to better handle tainted atmospheres. There is one group of altrants engineered to live underwater.

So...are there other altrants you'd like to see added to Clement Sector? How else do you think humans would be altered?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

flykiller June 13th, 2017 02:27 PM

Quote:

How else do you think humans would be altered?
modularity. for example an altrant that is modified, not in whole to live in this or that atmosphere, but rather to utilize "implants" (however defined) designed to a specific atmosphere.

Quote:

are there other altrants you'd like to see added to Clement Sector?
high temperature high-pressure capable. bio-resistant/immune. high-metabolism high-speed.

flykiller June 13th, 2017 03:00 PM

and of course the basic entertainment versions.

wellis August 8th, 2017 04:38 PM

Are there any altrants modified better for vacuum?

Gypsy Knights Games August 8th, 2017 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellis (Post 571163)
Are there any altrants modified better for vacuum?

Honestly, I felt like an altrant able to survive vacuum would require a higher tech level than the Clement Sector setting has.

Chaos August 9th, 2017 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gypsy Knights Games (Post 571183)
Honestly, I felt like an altrant able to survive vacuum would require a higher tech level than the Clement Sector setting has.

At least the altrants could be more resistant to the effects of vacuum on the human body, to allow for longer exposure to vacuum before irreversible damage happens.

What I´d like to see, though, is an altrant adapted to low-g, micro-g and zero-g environments - primarily by slowing or eliminating the loss of muscle mass and bone density that happens to humans in such environments.

Gypsy Knights Games August 9th, 2017 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaos (Post 571193)
What I´d like to see, though, is an altrant adapted to low-g, micro-g and zero-g environments - primarily by slowing or eliminating the loss of muscle mass and bone density that happens to humans in such environments.

Well, then I think you will be pleased with Tree of Life: Altrants in Clement Sector when it is released in September. There will be a altrant in the book called the Baaz that will be exactly that.

And, of course, there are already the Gaishan who are altered to handle lower gravity than standard.

Gypsy Knights Games August 16th, 2017 11:07 AM

The truth of the matter is that every human born since Julianna Seidel made her contribution to humanity is an altrant. That means every human in Clement Sector and back home would be considered an altrant by any human who lived before Seidel. We are faster, stronger, better, and, yes, even more attractive than they ever were. We live far longer. We can change our bodies to match the view we have of our inner selves, we can repair our bodies when they go wrong, and we can alter our bodies to make possible our wildest dreams. Therefore, the widespread prejudice we see against those that most humans, even altered humans, refer to as “altrants” is misplaced at best and reprehensible at worst.” – Doctor Carleen Adams, at a speech to the biomedical school of the University of Boone, January 7, 2337 (standard)

Excerpt from Tree of Life: Altrants in Clement Sector which will be published next month from Gypsy Knights Games

robject August 16th, 2017 03:28 PM

Zero-Gravity mods (quaddies?). Might be asymmetrical.

Labor-oriented mods (similar to high-G?).

Combat mods (shades of Blade Runner?).

Also: the Spaceborne and Aquatic mods should(?) be able to superoxygenate their blood in order to survive just a little bit longer without breathing, if required. I assume the aquatics also gills alongside lungs (or just one lung?).

mike wightman August 16th, 2017 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gypsy Knights Games (Post 571183)

Look into the mechanisms whales use to store oxygen and adapt to altrants.

Easily doable at the genetic engineering level you have...