Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   The Lone Star (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   beltstrike (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=40159)

flykiller June 28th, 2019 08:53 PM

beltstrike

the golden asteroid

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...00-quintillion

jcrocker June 29th, 2019 12:31 AM

I call dibbs on the platinum one!

Oh, it doesn't work like that?

mike wightman June 29th, 2019 02:19 AM

So the space race goes well over the next decade or so.

The Chinese, Europeans, US, India, Russia, Israel, South Korea, Japan plus a couple I have possible missed all build their own orbital space stations and moon bases.

They all build fuel manufactories on the moon to refuel ships in Earth orbit, and the next phase begins of building the infrastructure to build machinery and ships in space and on the moon with raw materials from the moon and nearby asteroids.

Phase three is to send robotic ships to the asteroids to carve up chunks of rare earths, gold etc.

A US mining robot arrives at an asteroid, it sets up. A Chinese robot arrives, it sets up on the other side, there is plenty to share. A new era of peace and harmony as the nations share the resources of the solar system for the betterment of humankind.

or alternatively the more likely scenario - I got here first it is all mine, no its not, yes it is, no its not, bang, yes it is. Bigger bang and now its mine...

What if instead of governments a private consortium of companies, lets call them Blue X. decide to use their considerable tech advantage to get to the gold asteroid et al first. The corporation becomes the richest, most influential power in the solar system - or do world governments use their one advantage to take their stuff?

A near future solar system based Traveller game writes itself, and becomes the basis for Twilight 2150... :devil:

mike wightman June 29th, 2019 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcrocker (Post 603492)
I call dibbs on the platinum one!

Oh, it doesn't work like that?

One of the problems is we don't know how it will work in practice.
What if the Chinese get to the asteroid first?

Will it become like Japanese whale farming - sorry - scientific research? Apply for a licence to 'study' some asteroids with robots that can 'send back samples'. Oops I've accidentally dismantled the asteroid and sent 1000 tons of samples (heavy metals and rare earths) back to my Lunar refinery and industrial complex. We will now study its potential applications by building stuff with it.
Who will regulate? Who will grant licences? Who will police? Who will enforce?

aramis June 29th, 2019 02:33 AM

Commercial use is supposed to be regulated by the national governments, for the betterment of all mankind... or so the Outer Space Treaty firmly implies.

The maritime international law explicitly applies.

Condottiere June 29th, 2019 02:38 AM

Why do you think Bezos and Musk are building rockets?

Jeff needs to pay alimony, and Elon needs liquidity.

mike wightman June 29th, 2019 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 603499)
Commercial use is supposed to be regulated by the national governments, for the betterment of all mankind... or so the Outer Space Treaty firmly implies.

You mean like the treaty the US government had with the Black Hills Native American tribes...
(note I am using this example because it is the most famous gold induced treaty violation I could remember, I'm pretty sure other governments throughout history have also ignored treaties when expedient to make money)

Quote:

The maritime international law explicitly applies.
How so?

aramis June 29th, 2019 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 603507)
You mean like the treaty the US government had with the Black Hills Native American tribes...
(note I am using this example because it is the most famous gold induced treaty violation I could remember, I'm pretty sure other governments throughout history have also ignored treaties when expedient to make money)

How so?

The OST specifically calls for those. So mining asteroids is going to be regulaatorily the same as mining the deep ocean floor.

atpollard June 29th, 2019 01:36 PM

When Spain began importing large quantities of Gold from the Americas to Europe, the price of gold fell. When vast deposits of silver reached the market in the late 20th century the price of silver plummeted.

The introduction of millions of tons of gold will not make one nation wealthy beyond belief, it will reduce the price of gold to a commodity like copper or aluminum.

mike wightman June 29th, 2019 01:45 PM

Not if you do what they have done with diamonds - pretend they are scarce and keep the prices high.

You don't dump 1000t of gold, rare earths or other precious/heavy metals into the market all at once. You use what you need for your own manufacturing needs and drip feed enough to keep the market price high enough for you to make a killing.