Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Software Solutions (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Making big PDF maps (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=11576)

Flynn October 26th, 2004 12:47 PM

robject and J Greely,

You guys rock! I appreciate the work you two are doing here, and the fact that you are sharing it with us. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks,
Flynn

jgreely October 26th, 2004 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Marvo:
Lucky for me I have access to a plotter at work!
Let me know how it turned out. I figure I'll make another domain-scale map once I've typed in all the xboat routes and regional borders (and written the region-drawing code...).

-j

Flynn October 27th, 2004 09:38 AM

I look forward to that, Mr. Greely. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks,
Flynn

dancha October 27th, 2004 11:19 AM

Greetings!

This is incredibly awesome and exciting. Thanks so much!

One suggestion: can you zip up all the stuff, or perhaps per Quadrant, or something? The goal would be to reduce the number of downloads...

(I have cable at home, so I don't mind large downloads; in fact, I prefer em'!)

Thanks in advance,
Dan

jgreely October 27th, 2004 03:34 PM

Massive update here, adding support for allegiance borders and filled regions, allowing me to mark the Vargr Invasions and Aslan Conquests areas from my Spinward Marches source map. There's also a fully-commented example of a metadata file showing how to use these features. About the only thing I have left to add is a method for printing text at arbitrary locations on the page, so you can label the borders and regions. Well, that and a way to keep colors from creeping onto the B&W maps when the defaults are overridden...

And since dancha asked nicely, I added per-sector zip files. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Note that I haven't actually typed in the routes, borders, or regions for all of Gateway Domain yet, so those maps are not as fully-annotated as Spinward Marches.

-j

jgreely October 28th, 2004 01:35 PM

With the help of a friend, I was able to get all of the xboat routes and allegiance borders typed in for all four sectors in Gateway Domain, and have used the new version to update the complete domain map.

I haven't had time to regenerate and upload all the other maps yet, and the color choices are subject to drastic revision (not to mention adjusting them all for B&W printing), but the domain-level map is cool.

-j

Flynn October 28th, 2004 02:15 PM

Thank you, Mr Greely. This just keeps getting better and better... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Enjoy,
Flynn

Now I just need to learn how to put API2::PDF onto my machine...

FlightCommanderSolitude October 28th, 2004 02:44 PM

Nice work on the asteroid belts. ;)

jgreely October 28th, 2004 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Flynn:
Now I just need to learn how to put API2::PDF onto my machine...
I have a Windows machine in my office, so I just did the following:

</font>
  • download ActivePerl 5.8.4 from activestate.com and install it (I grabbed the MSI version)</font>
  • Run Perl Package Manager, which opens a cmd window.</font>
  • Type "install PDF::API2".</font>
  • Open a fresh cmd window, cd to the directory containing the script and SEC files, and run "perl sec2pdf [options]".</font>
I verified that I was able to create an annotated by-quadrant map of Spinward Marches by typing "perl sec2pdf -a -b -B -h -c -tquadrant -d SpinwardMarches.sec -o spinward.pdf".

I've uploaded the SEC and metadata files for all five sectors, along with the latest version of the script. I'll put better usage instructions up and add a more detailed explanation of the various options next time I get a chance.

-j

Flynn October 29th, 2004 09:39 AM

In looking over the output, I did have a few comments:

1) First, wow! Nice work! I love the ability to lay out borders and shade regions. That's very cool! Wish it were automated, but hey, one step at a time, right?

2) I personally like robject's presentation of World Name over UWP, as opposed to the current UWP over World Name. Have you tried it out personally to see how it looks on your implementation? If so, how did it look, in your opinion?

3) I also like that robject's code has the capacity for presenting only a certain area that you can define by what's included in the sector file. This way you can focus on a region of space that does not conveniently fit within a subsector or a quadrant, such as if you wanted to create a map of a Cluster that crosses several subsector borders. (The Linkworlds Cluster comes to mind as an example.) I'd probably rarely need this functionality, but it's cool, nonetheless.

All in all, though, this is a very impressive effort. Thank you so much for making that available to us.

With Regards,
Flynn