Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   The Fleet (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   MGT Only: Help building a taco truck spaceship? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=40031)

Adenralumdan May 10th, 2019 12:36 AM

Help building a taco truck spaceship?

Hi all!

I'm fairly new to Traveller, and I have a bit of an interesting ship building process. My players have decided they want to run a taco truck spaceship. I haven't built a ship before, and was hoping the forum would like to help me out.

Just looking at the supplied MGT ships, I thought I could convert a safari class ship into a half-circle shape and paint it like a taco, partially to make use of the streamlined Hull for atmospheric entry. Possibly use the whole lower floor plan as a restaurant setting.

If I'm going about this all wrong, please let me know so I can lead my group better!

aramis May 10th, 2019 05:12 AM

The shape of a taco is a wedge...

The only things odd about a taco truck are the seating for customers, the walk-in freezer, and the kitchen. A taco truck itself has a roughly 2.5x3x4m kitchen...30 m ... so just a hair over 2 Td... Call it 2.5 to be generous, or 4 for a better one.

How to price that kitchen? Well, we look up a taco truck price online, then convert to 1977 US$... which is roughly divide by four. Small kitchen trailers run $10K , reasonable trucks run $50k to $200k. So, let's say $50k for a 2 Td 1 cook kitchen; that becomes Cr12,500. The larger 4 ton one? Say KCr50 ($200k 4 = KCr50), and 2 man.

While the prices I used include road carriages and (for the high end) engines, vacuum and microgravity can be used as an excuse to not adjust them.

A 4m x6m x 2.1m walk-in is about $12k (from a quick google). that's 3 Td, and KCr3.

Seating?

booth seats run about $400 to $800 per bench; tables about $300, so $1100 to $1700 per 4 adults, and about 3m x2.5m plus some aisle space... call it a nice 2 Td. And it's about Cr275 to Cr425 per booth. Mounting them? I figure another Cr10 per bench and Cr5 for the table.

Loose chairs run about $100 each... so, 4 chairs and a table is about 2 Td as well... but only $500 total... so Cr125 and 2 Td for a table seating 4 persons. But that's not bolted down... Call it Cr25 to have bolt-downs.

Flight rated seating? 0.5Td and KCr30 each (MGT2-HG p.37)... includes tray table.

atpollard May 10th, 2019 09:30 AM

What about buying a 50 dT Modular Cutter and just customizing the 30dT module to be a "Taco Truck Restaurant".

The Cr 50 (Cr 1000 per dT) to transport your entire ship along with its crew as Freight from one system to another is probably cheaper than the mortgage on a Starship. You might even be able to serve the passengers on a Passenger Liner that agreed to transport you as freight and wanted something different than the Steward's rations.

If you converted a fast boat, you might even be able to make some extra money transporting passengers from worlds with deep jump shadows to ships at the Jump limit ... while selling a captive audience an authentic Mexican Lunch to eat on the trip.

GypsyComet May 10th, 2019 10:52 AM

In a Mongoose context, most of the additions to make a ship or subcraft into a high end flying kitchen fall under "Luxuries", at least in MGT1.

kilemall May 10th, 2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atpollard (Post 601575)
What about buying a 50 dT Modular Cutter and just customizing the 30dT module to be a "Taco Truck Restaurant".

The Cr 50 (Cr 1000 per dT) to transport your entire ship along with its crew as Freight from one system to another is probably cheaper than the mortgage on a Starship. You might even be able to serve the passengers on a Passenger Liner that agreed to transport you as freight and wanted something different than the Steward's rations.

If you converted a fast boat, you might even be able to make some extra money transporting passengers from worlds with deep jump shadows to ships at the Jump limit ... while selling a captive audience an authentic Mexican Lunch to eat on the trip.

Ya, that's the question mark I would have about the economics of a taco truck starship. To save even further, probably a used small craft, or if it was to work planets and close orbit, a grav truck would make more sense. If they are just bound to have a jump capable ship, a converted Seeker would be the ticket.

Even so, I would question whether this would actually work. Of course, there IS a way- the taco truck isn't really a taco truck.

Various manner of smuggling and/or illegal goods and services.

Order the Taco Supreme Special for single weapon to go, with beans for ammo, or Enchilada Grande for the illegal combat drugs carryout.

Want bigger 'orders'? The Taco Space Truck offers 'catering'.

Corporate extraction? Who is going to look twice at the innocent taco truck?

Adenralumdan May 10th, 2019 12:06 PM

Quote:

I hadn't thought of shipping a modular cutter. That would be a lot easier for my people to afford as well. I was originally concerned about the players not having enough freedom without the ability to jump, but this fixes that problem.

The fast boat isn't a bad idea either. I'll definitely have to look at converting those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 601569)
The only things odd about a taco truck are the seating for customers, the walk-in freezer, and the kitchen. A taco truck itself has a roughly 2.5x3x4m kitchen...30 m ... so just a hair over 2 Td... Call it 2.5 to be generous, or 4 for a better one.

How to price that kitchen? Well, we look up a taco truck price online, then convert to 1977 US$... which is roughly divide by four. Small kitchen trailers run $10K , reasonable trucks run $50k to $200k. So, let's say $50k for a 2 Td 1 cook kitchen; that becomes Cr12,500. The larger 4 ton one? Say KCr50 ($200k 4 = KCr50), and 2 man.

While the prices I used include road carriages and (for the high end) engines, vacuum and microgravity can be used as an excuse to not adjust them.

A 4m x6m x 2.1m walk-in is about $12k (from a quick google). that's 3 Td, and KCr3.

Seating?

booth seats run about $400 to $800 per bench; tables about $300, so $1100 to $1700 per 4 adults, and about 3m x2.5m plus some aisle space... call it a nice 2 Td. And it's about Cr275 to Cr425 per booth. Mounting them? I figure another Cr10 per bench and Cr5 for the table.

Loose chairs run about $100 each... so, 4 chairs and a table is about 2 Td as well... but only $500 total... so Cr125 and 2 Td for a table seating 4 persons. But that's not bolted down... Call it Cr25 to have bolt-downs.

Flight rated seating? 0.5Td and KCr30 each (MGT2-HG p.37)... includes tray table.

This definitely gives me a good pricing guide, no matter what I convert. Thanks for doing that legwork.

Quote:

Even so, I would question whether this would actually work. Of course, there IS a way- the taco truck isn't really a taco truck.

Various manner of smuggling and/or illegal goods and services.
I could definitely have at least one of the characters run this kind of idea. His background as a rogue definitely suggests he might be into this idea.

Thanks for the help guys!

whartung May 10th, 2019 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilemall (Post 601580)
Even so, I would question whether this would actually work.

I think it's more exciting that his TU is a Universe where taco ships DO work.

It's like that noodle "boat" in the Fifth Element. Something as low margin as a greasy spoon noodle stand is able to float around on its anti-grav vehicle or whatever tech they used in the Fifth Element, and profit from it.

"First week of the month! Hanks Taco Ship is going to be here!!!"

Now I need a taco.

kilemall May 10th, 2019 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whartung (Post 601587)
I think it's more exciting that his TU is a Universe where taco ships DO work.

It's like that noodle "boat" in the Fifth Element. Something as low margin as a greasy spoon noodle stand is able to float around on its anti-grav vehicle or whatever tech they used in the Fifth Element, and profit from it.

"First week of the month! Hanks Taco Ship is going to be here!!!"

Now I need a taco.

It absolutely works as a grav vehicle in an urban/spaceport enviornment, as the FE example you cite or a hightech version of the various boatborne 'independent merchants' going ship to ship plying their wares at colorful ports.

Space however costs several multiples more per dton and I don't know about you, but I'm not cool having several small craft tie up to my airlock just for crew/passenger snacks.

Condottiere May 10th, 2019 05:36 PM

You have to figure out the return on investment.

As I recall, the cost of grav modules varies widely from edition to edition.

aramis May 10th, 2019 11:08 PM

Reason I did the "legwork" on it was to show the process, and that I was bored.

I think showing the process is the valuable part of it.