Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Play by Post - OOC (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Mercator (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=37068)

flykiller December 13th, 2016 11:52 PM

Mercator

game chatter

Jame
<name?>
66A8C7 4-term Other/Potter
Artisan: Pottery 2, Steward 1, Medical 1
600 denarii, blade (shortsword)

Jame December 14th, 2016 02:11 PM

Diogenes, client of Quintus Lucius Decumius
66A8C7 4-term Other/Potter
Artisan: Pottery 2, Steward 1, Medical 1
600 denarii, blade (shortsword)

Diogenes was a potter's son who was born in Xanthus in Lycia. Hewas apprenticed to a doctor as a youth. He received basic medical training, though he was primarily tasked with creating bottles and jars for medicines that his master would create, and then pack them up; fortunately, he gained a passing familiarity with the medicines as well.
Eventually his master fell into debt and Diogenes went into the possession of a minor Roman knight named Quintus Lucius Decumius and travelled around various points in the Middle Sea, including Alexandria in Egypt, Crete, Sparta and Delphi in Greece and eventually Mother Rome itself.
In this time he learned about service, both the skills and the fact that he didn't like it. Eventually he began to save up to buy his freedom from Quintus Lucius, only to find that he had the opportunity to save his master's life. He managed to negotiate this into freedom and being enrolled in his now-former master's clientele.
He has some savings, a shortsword from his patron's business and plans to travel a while to see if he can find a place to settle down and open an apothecary. Anywhere except for Egypt!

Jame December 14th, 2016 02:12 PM

Also, what would you like to do about languages? My character is from Lycia, which I believe spoke Greek; would Diogenes know Latin given his Education of 12?

flykiller December 14th, 2016 02:24 PM

being freed by Quintus Lucius Decumius, Diogenes will then be known as Quintus Lucius Diogenes. typically he would then be a client of Quintus, but Diogenes seems to have broken this tie somehow.

though there are some remaining local languages, greek is the standard language of the day, and just about everyone will speak it at some level of proficiency, except perhaps for quite a few of the lower ranking roman soldiers. so yes, the romans have been in charge long enough that Diogenes would know enough latin to avoid being clubbed into understanding by such troops.

(had to look up where lycia was. I may be a bit slow from time to time.)

Jame December 14th, 2016 03:50 PM

Quintus Lucius Decumius is widely-travelled. But I'm not as familiar with patron-client relationships as I could be.
Maybe Q.L. Diogenes has been asked to find a good place near one of Q.L. Decumius's businesses, and is taking his time to see where he'd like to.

1. I have to equip Diogenes a bit.

2. I just realized I made a literary reference. No, not Diogenes.

Edit: Here's his revised equipment list: 270 denarii, blade (shortsword), leather armor, dagger, medical kit

robject December 16th, 2016 12:05 PM

Enjoying the atmosphere and dialog very much. You two appear to know your stuff (I'm nearly clueless about these things, except perhaps for "the" Diogenes).

flykiller December 16th, 2016 06:36 PM

Quote:

You two appear to know your stuff
actually I'm winging it like a one-legged ostrich.

Jame December 17th, 2016 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 554923)
actually I'm winging it like a one-legged ostrich.

:rofl: Keep it up, I enjoy it.

And yes, Rob, I knew I named my guy after THE Diogenes, which is part of why I did it. ;)

flykiller January 4th, 2017 01:36 PM

still in?

Jame January 4th, 2017 06:36 PM

Yep, just waiting for you.