Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Non-Traveller Gaming (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Someone tried to sell me Star Wars Rebellion (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=36205)

Blue Ghost May 31st, 2016 05:01 PM

Someone tried to sell me Star Wars Rebellion

So the other day I was at Kubla Con in the dealers' room looking at a $99 dollar priced tagged game called "Star Wars; Rebellion". It catches my eye because I played a computer game in the 90s called "Star Wars; Rebellion", and wondered if this was a table top game port of that same game.

TWO salesmen, in their 20s, approach me and ask me if I have any questions about it. I ask if it is a port of the old computer game, they say they don't know, then launch into their sales pitch about how this was a unique game.

Get this (and this is verbatim); "It's new and unique because the players cooperate with one another and play against the Game Master running the game..."

I did a mental double take. Did I hear that right? It's unique because a group of players (the rebels in this case) are playing against the GM (the empire in this case)?

Did I hear that correctly?

And, further, it came with plastic miniatures. So it must be really unique. :rolleyes:

And these guys work at a game store?

Whatever. I thanked them for their time and wandered around looking at stuff before heading to one of the lectures. Not really a big deal, but they were essentially trying to sell an RPG game as new to RPers. Admittedly there were lots of table top and card games, but RPGs and Warsims are still the staple for the con and the industry. How do you sell a table top RPG with the SW name as new and unique when it's essentially the same basic game mechanic of every other RPG out there?

Like I say ... whatever. I hope they're not selling shares of their stores.

JimMarn May 31st, 2016 07:09 PM

We've been discussing this elsewhere. Lots of new gamers have no idea what role-playing games are. They are used to apps on tablets and smart phones.

I've endured Zocchi's 2 hour lecture on dice quality and refereed around 200 rpg game sessions in 5 years. I think it would have been hard for me to not laugh at those two 'role-playing is new' guys.

Blue Ghost June 1st, 2016 03:45 AM

Yeah, I really didn't want to make a scene by questioning their pitch. I just stood there politely listening, grinning every now and then. I'm still kind of thunderstruck by the experience though.

aramis June 1st, 2016 03:53 AM

FFG produces very pretty, reasonably good, games.

Some of the people hawking them, however...

Blue Ghost June 1st, 2016 12:06 PM

It felt like I had walked into an auto dealer and a salesman came up to me and started telling me about a new fangled thing called "a car". Seriously, it had that vibe to it.

Most of the games I saw at Kubla Con were table top, except for the massive D&D and Pathfinder wings taking up two whole conference rooms. I mean, are the DMs just making stuff up? Surely there are modules out there. And if so, then how did I get that pitch for SW Rebellion?

Not a big deal. Stranger things have happened.

aramis June 1st, 2016 12:23 PM

The D&D and Pathfinder Organized Play programs have vibrant, if long, adventures.

I'm currently running Out of the Abyss for 2.5-3.5 hours per week at my FLGS. We're about halfway through, and it's going into session 30 tomorrow.

Each season of D&D AL has a module about the length of TTA...
It also has 10-20 shorter modules - usually 3-5 hours of play, tho' certain groups stretch the 5 hour into 15 hours or so. I've run EX1-4 5 times.... once, 2.25 hours start to finish; 3 times in the 5-6 hour range, once in a 10-hour (4 sessions weekly) careful crawl.

Note that, in "D&D is a tactical wargame" mode, one can only play every adventure once given 2 sessions a week.... if you're running in Roleplay mode, it would take 3-4 sessions a week to complete all the content during the release season.

All the smaller modules are now available on http://www.dmsguild.com/ ...

Pathfinder's program is similar - a big module per season, a sourcebook to go with it, and a handful or two of shorter modules to fill in the range and for convention play.

So, at present, D&D 5E has like 50+ modules for organized play in electronic publication, 5 hardcover long adventures, and some 3rd party stuff as well. Note that the 3rd party stuff isn't allowed for organized play at present.

Pathfinder has hundreds.

JimMarn June 1st, 2016 07:21 PM

I'm not familiar with Organized Play. Is it like convention contest play ? In that, set scenarios, briefing in text so that the games are run as consistently as possible ?

As for rp/wargame. We did it for fun. I did rp things that I felt was necessary; like characters arriving at a new town, encountering a patrol force unfamiliar with them being good guys, etc.

aramis June 1st, 2016 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimMarn (Post 540476)
I'm not familiar with Organized Play. Is it like convention contest play ? In that, set scenarios, briefing in text so that the games are run as consistently as possible ?

As for rp/wargame. We did it for fun. I did rp things that I felt was necessary; like characters arriving at a new town, encountering a patrol force unfamiliar with them being good guys, etc.

Not "contest play" any more. Neither PFS nor D&DAL are contests. Forget "Contest" play - that's a deservedly gone thing of the 70's to 90's.

Players generate characters using a subset of the rules.
Players play those characters in multiple adventures - sometimes at one table, sometimes at several, sometimes table A on Threeday and B on Sixday...
Each adventure has either a "Tier" (In D&D AL, there are 4 tiers) or a level range; characters of suitable levels are allowed to play, gain loot and experience, and are able to port it with their character into other modules. A given character may play a given short module once only; a given chapter of a large module once only. Drop-in, drop-out...

Conventions allow players to play certain "big story" moment adventures capstoning the season's modules. Certain locations convention-only module play actually gets factored into future storylines.

There's no formal competition between players in D&DAL, and PVP is a banning offense. (Except during madness in AL Season 3 adventures.)

It's very much like home play, except no house rules, and you may not have the same group 3 weeks in a row.

JimMarn June 1st, 2016 09:42 PM

Okay, a continuing story line.

Okay was all I meant to type. My bloodsugar is high, I've been eating chocolate.

whartung June 1st, 2016 11:48 PM

BitD, we used to have a continuing dungeon game a the conventions. Basically the convention kept the characters and the players would play them at each convention.

I used to DM them a lot, and had return parties -- we always had a good time with them.