Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Play By Post - In Character (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Equus 02 (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=38893)

flykiller March 21st, 2018 12:19 AM

Equus 02

The food is terrible. Why is the food in hospitals always terrible?

You all spent several days on some kind of hospital ship, can't remember too much, now you're on some land facility near the primary starport. It's a good one, and you're all being taken care of fairly well. Afran had quite the concussion, even had to get some neural rebuild done. Manus needed some internal organ repair, Olaf received quite a bit of bone rebuild and some vascular system reset. Tahnee seems the least injured, hips cracked in several places and a ruptured spinal disc but she's up and around before the rest of you. Overall it seems you'll all be OK. Except Tame, you don't see him and no-one you ask seems to know where he is.

Tahnee gets a visitor, an Imperal Marine in full dress uniform. ooooooooooo my goodness gasp he's handsome, smiling, sunny, not exactly tall but that lean solid build that all real soldiers seem to have. "Hello Trooper Juryn, I'm GySgt Max Turing. Sorry I had to pull you off that airraft so hard but we were pressed for time."

Afran and Olaf also get a visitor, the old man from the pax liner. Turns out he's an old retired admiral. "Excellent job gentlemen, excellent, couldn't have done it better myself back when, well you know, when I could have, or I would have gone with you."

Manus gets an official visitor. "Greetings Lieutenant Taylor I'm Commander Rancke. I understand you were and are under significant stress from this uncontrolled landing event but I was hoping to get some statements from you about the events that transpired. Nothing formal at this point, just some preliminaries."

To Tame:

?me hear you Can

.real Nothing's .everything remember you like It's

.cold feel You .fire on You're ?wrong What's

?me hear you Can

.away you blow and you on breathe to going it's afraid you're ,you at down peers face huge A

.him flush to have we'll like looks ,gone he's think I ,unresponsive one's this Cooley Hey

.brain his fry to going You're .backwards everything up wired you ,geek incompetent You

.Oh

?it got ,there goes one that ,here, goes one this ,Look .now latte's seven me owe you, Dude ?hand your hold to have always I Do

.now it got I ,Yeah Can you hear me now?

A giant cheshire cat, like the one in Alice's Land, is staring down at you from nothing. Not from the sky, not from darkness, not from the void, but from nullity.

vegas March 21st, 2018 01:09 AM

Manus straightens up as best he can and replies, "Certainly Commander. Whatever you need. And don't worry about me. It was quite a mad dash at the end, but I'm fine. Well... getting there at least." He glances down at his torso, where his worst wounds are patched up and healing.

"What can I tell you?"

Ex_Pendable March 22nd, 2018 12:32 PM

At first, there was pain.

After a while, the pain went numb - still there, like it was being strained so only little bits at a time got through.

Consciousness was a surprise, staring up another unfamiliar ceiling, not like all the other unfamiliar ceilings. Canned air, you couldn't mistake the tang of off-gassing plastics. Good recycler though, not like on a scout.

Then it was doctors and nurses, taking temperatures, checking his pulse, asking his name and service number over and over again while they checked equipment and wrote on their pads.

Then he was moved out of the ship, lightly sedated so it was all a haze, then woke up looking up at a new unfamiliar ceiling, one more for the vault. Better air, better light, but you'd swear they shipped the same cook down with you. New faces asking the same questions while they wrote the same things down on their pads, interrupting his sleep. Brief glimpses of passageways as he was taken to treatment rooms, then back again.

Going to hospital was the worse, you usually left feeling worse than when you arrived.

You could almost forget what happened - but like the pain, it was always lurking there, slowly being strained into his consciousness.

And then the liner captain appeared, and the memory snapped to the front. Shame and failure.

"Excellent job gentlemen, excellent, couldn't have done it better myself back when, well you know, when I could have, or I would have gone with you," the old admiral said.

"Your first responsibility is to your vessel and your passengers, sir. We understand that," Olaf replied. "Sir, we've not had a lot of information. What happened to that ship? Do they know yet? Those plants? Or where the rest of us who went over are?"

mike wightman March 22nd, 2018 04:29 PM

Listen in the conversations happening around.

Try to find out from a doctor or nurse or any of the visitors how I go to the hospital, last thing I remember clearly is the angry rescue party - wonder how I upset them?

Are there any tablets that can get a news feed about current events?

baktegon March 24th, 2018 09:11 AM

Tahnee gives an appreciative nod and word to Turing. "Thank you, I actually came out a lot better than my crew mates, few cracks and bruises"

Could you tell me what happened afterwards? We've all been healing but a bit starved for information.

flykiller March 25th, 2018 08:10 PM

Quote:

"What can I tell you?"
"Just what you remember from the beginning. From the Qetzl's - that's the name of the ship you boarded - departure from Tempe Mining Faciliity 14 to your entry into the ship we have no idea what happened and we're attempting to determine what events led to this partially-controlled landing. What did you find when you boarded the Qetzl?"

"Partially controlled landing". Legal term.

Quote:

"Your first responsibility is to your vessel and your passengers, sir. We understand that."
The old man grins happily. "Oh you went a little beyond that, son. It wasn't your ship and they weren't your passengers and you were straight-out-of-the-freezer volunteers. Certain people notice that, yes my boy, certain people notice, and if they don't then I'll have something to say about THAT, yes I will." This guy sounds like he's used to saying things and making people hop to.

Quote:

"Sir, we've not had a lot of information. What happened to that ship? Do they know yet? Those plants? Or where the rest of us who went over are?"
The old man waves his hands at Afran. "With some help from that scout rescue pilot your brave and noble friend here managed to waft the ship right into a factory fishing barge. Blew the whole thing to bits and chunks, left it in two pieces and everything within a thousand yards dressed in fish guts, oh it was quite a sight, and the captain on the infonet yelling 'It wasn't my fault!' at the company rep. You," he pokes at Afran, "should be proud of yourself son, some of the passengers survived, and I'll make sure the proper people know it, yes I will.

"And I'm sorry but I think one of your crewmates died. It's the strangest thing but I can't find out anything about him, Equus seems to have procedures that I've never heard of. It's completely irregular and unacceptable but I'll get to the bottom of if you mark my words."

Quote:

Try to find out from a doctor or nurse or any of the visitors how I go to the hospital
The nurses will tell you just about anything you want to know. You were brought to a flotilla hospital ship by a scout rescue boat where you were stabilized and then transferred here to the Ocean Bay facility. Right outside the window is a magnificent blue-sky view of the endless ocean, along with the only land-based port facility on Equus. Quite a few ocean vessels in the harbor, all kinds and shapes, you had no idea there were so many different kinds of water-going craft. Several space-going ships lifting and descending, nice orderly streams of controlled traffic.

Quote:

Are there any tablets that can get a news feed about current events?
Yep. Weather reports, bikini babes, accidents, fine strapping young men in shorts on boat decks, industrial output summaries, bikini babes, races, fine strapping young men in shorts on boat decks, cooperative conservation ventures with Porozlo's Megan's World, bikini babes, news from the Grand High Court of the Marquis of Rhylanor, fine strapping young men in shorts on boat decks.

Quote:

Could you tell me what happened afterwards?
"Well I managed to take most of the hit on the 'dress but I'm afraid you took quite a hit too. My squad fished us out of the drink and we would have lost you but our medic is pretty good - he's one of the Count's transit medics - and he got you squared away. And here we are. Your friends are all here too, so not to worry. Tell you what, I'm in duty transit and had a moment to check up on you, when you feel better you can swing by the Green Conch Bay tavern just outside the port and on the beach, lot of other military people there would like to hear your story."

Ex_Pendable March 26th, 2018 12:20 AM

"Survivors? On the ship?" Olaf demanded. How had he missed that announcement over the suit chatter?

That was going to burn into his soul now.

One of boarding crew was dead, too?

"Who died?" the scout asked. "Was it the impact? Except for Afran, I thought we all made it to the air/raft?"

vegas March 26th, 2018 02:04 AM

"What did we find?" Manus repeated the question as he collected his thoughts. Then he began to explain:

"I have been sitting in hospital beds with little to do besides think about that boarding action. Some of the details might be a bit spotty, and if you have a recording of our comms, that might help me piece together the timeline a little better if that matters, but this is what I remember.

"We had broken into two groups for the EVA, with myself and the scout Vlaidstock coming over on the second group. Before I was aboard, the army medic, Trooper Juryn, reported that the individual on the bridge, I assume it was the pilot, was dead. I did not inspect the body, but he appeared to be an elderly male. Trooper Juryn might be able to give you more details.

"When all five of us were aboard, we re-organized and Deckhand Shugilamar and myself headed for engineering. I had us quickly search the compartments on the way for survivors and confirm we had a secure zone to operate.

"The ship had minimal power at that point and no interior lights. No major ship's systems seemed to be operating besides life support. Environmental conditions were comfortable room temperature and atmospheric pressure with higher-than-typical humidity. Interior gravity seemed normal.

"I observed the computer room was locked and the forward excursion lockers were clear and unremarkable, as were the forward three staterooms. All three staterooms appeared to have been lived-in, so I believed we had at least two more crew to account for. Also, one of the staterooms had holographic companion program left running, which I took to suggest that the crew may have been alerted to an emergency situation and had had to react quickly.

"At that point, Trooper Juryn reported that there was a creature on the bridge, so we returned, again with Deckhand Shugilamar on point and I covered our rear. I spotted movement behind us to the aft of the ship. I attempted to lock the iris valve in the center of main access hallway, but nothing happened, perhaps from the low-power state of the ship.

"The lifeform on the bridge was a tripartate with a flower-like appendage. It was up on the ceiling and had retreated into the shadows among some electronics. We suspected it was afraid of us based on its behavior, but no one on the team seemed to be familiar with it, and we did not know if it posed a threat.

"We did not want to leave an unidentified animal loose on the bridge, but we didn't want to open fire because of the risk to damage to bridge systems either. Ultimately, Deckhand Shugilamar and I switched positions, and with him on guard to aft, I attempted to get the creature off the bridge by opening the hatch to the below and driving the thing with halon bursts from a fire extinguisher.

"Unfortunately, that didn't work and the creature attacked me. Trooper Juryn then acted swiftly and courageously in coming to my assistance. She approached and shot the creature point blank, killing it.

"Now we had lost a lot of time. We had been advised by Ensign Goering that we were less than 27 minutes to Equus. If we were going to save the ship, we had to move faster and start taking some chances. I'm afraid my information will be less specific from here on.

"I told Deckhand Shugilamar to double-time it to engineering where he encountered a second, larger tripartate. I believe this is the one I had spotted earlier. It was just inside the hatch to the port engineering, and he shot and killed it before I arrived. I found it hanging dead from the ceiling.

"Just outside port engineering there was also another body, this one wearing a low-berth smock. I presumed the crew had woken the passenger, perhaps in response to the emergency, and we still had at least 2 crew unaccounted for.

"Inside port engineering, I found one operating power plant and two offline. I started the two fusion plants and the maneuver drive. There was some jury-rigged electronics in there as well. Something was hooked through a J-box and it started to burn once power came on.

"I did not have time to investigate further, because at this point we got another sitrep: we had 20K ft/sec vector almost dead-on Equus and were 7 million feet out. I could do that math and knew we could not save the ship with just 1G, but the bridge wanted to try to overthrust the drives and miss the planet. They also wanted more power, and given the state engineering I saw, I thought getting some backup power was prudent.

"I sent Deckhand Shulgilmar to ready the ships air/raft to use as an escape vehicle and Trooper Juryn to clear starboard engineering.

"I connected to the 1MC from port engineering and made an emergency evacuation announcement in the unlikely event that there was anyone able to respond to it. I never saw a living body on the ship."

"I then headed to starboard engineering, got backup power online, and set the M-drives for 2G operation. I sent Trooper Juryn to the air/raft, and I sat on that drive to try to stretch our 2Gs as long as possible.

"The drives held a good long time and we almost made it. We bled off 97% of our vector before they failed. Just a few more seconds and we can land that bird... anyway, when I could tell the drive was failing, I called to the bridge to pull back and tried to over-ride and cut it back to 1G directly from engineering, but it was no good, it blew.

"That is when the bridge made the call to abandon ship, and it was scramble to the air/raft. Down in the garage I saw a third body, an elderly female. Can't say a thing more as we were just trying to escape imminent crash, but that leaves at least one more crew member unaccounted for."

Manus paused at that point.

"I hope that is what you are looking for."

"And Commander, may I ask a favor? I'm a bit isolated here.

What happened to Ensign Goering? I heard her on the comm when her shuttle struck the Qetzl and... it didn't sound good.

And to Deckhand Shulgilmar? He did an especially fine job out there.

I'd really like some news on both of them and what happened after we abandoned. If it is available, of course."

Botcho March 26th, 2018 03:11 PM

"Can you hear me now?"

A giant cheshire cat, like the one that haunted the Solmani hero Alice, stared down at Tame, apropos to nothing. Tame had always loved this particular Solmani myth. Not only did it glorify a practical... um... something about... shit! *What was I thinking about?" He asked himself.

"Good." Says the cat. Its grin turned sharp and predatory. "Looks like we found you Deckhand."

Tame tries to speak but he doesn't seem to have a mouth at the moment. He wants to ask about the team but he can't remember anyone's name or what they had been doing. *Am I dying?* He wonders.

"Not if we can help it. There are some folks who want a word with you... if we can put you back together again."

The cheshire cat morphed into some sort of egg sitting on an infinite wall. Tame recognized this one as well but couldn't name the myth. *Typical Solmani* Tame snorted. *Not every human in known space was steeped in terran... Wait! Did I just snort?* Tame asked himself.

"Yes you did." answered the Egg. "Thats progress deckhand."

baktegon March 27th, 2018 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 584627)
"Well I managed to take most of the hit on the 'dress but I'm afraid you took quite a hit too. My squad fished us out of the drink and we would have lost you but our medic is pretty good - he's one of the Count's transit medics - and he got you squared away. And here we are. Your friends are all here too, so not to worry. Tell you what, I'm in duty transit and had a moment to check up on you, when you feel better you can swing by the Green Conch Bay tavern just outside the port and on the beach, lot of other military people there would like to hear your story."

Tahnee thanks him for the invitation and promises that she'll visit the pub when she's released.

Tahnee asks to see the doctor when they are next available. She wants to ask them when will she and her crew mates be well enough to be discharged.

She'd also like to see the video footage, if any, to glean any information about Tame's whereabouts or try to extrapolate his trajectory from the air/raft.

computer skill [roll0]