Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Play By Post - In Character (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   [CT Only] atpollard's PbP Traveller (1416.57 - Tihomir) Day 26 (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=38521)

atpollard December 5th, 2017 02:42 PM

[CT Only] atpollard's PbP Traveller (1416.57 - Tihomir) Day 26

[Tihomir] - [Biter 1416.57.0000 IST (Midnight local)] near dirt road in unknown Forest

Huddled together over a small fire hidden beneath a dense cluster of conifer branches, your wet clothes were hung up to dry. The rain had stopped and the breeze was light, but the 3C temperature was dangerously cold for someone wet. Another hour and your clothes would be dry enough to travel. Piled in front of you, Tihomir had managed to liberate one combat knife and a small canteen, as well as 4 flashlights and a metal ingot. To his delight, Tihomir was able to lay hands on a military grade radio with a 500 km range, although you would probably need to climb to a mountaintop to avoid interference from the valleys and take advantage of the full range.

Spoiler:

knife & canteen = roll (6)
comm = roll (10)
flashlight
metal ingot
  • Tihomir "Silent world" Danailov [M] (age 22 - born 1393.77) - [697AA8] - (Coaster Syndicate: Unlimited Manpower): Blade Cbt-2*, Brawling-2*, Liaison-1, Medical-1, Admin-0, Computer-0, Survival-0, Bribery-0, Carousing-0, Demolition-0, Electronic-0, Forgery-0, Gambling-0, Gun Cbt-0, Interrogation-0, Jack-o-T-0, Mechanical-0, Streetwise-0, Vehicle (Flying)-0, Vehicle (Tracked)-0 ...
  • (Lady) Marci Monroe [F] (age 24) - [993A7B] (Commercial Artist): Carousing-2, Trader (art)-1, Art (metalworking)-1, Broker-0, Deception-0, Diplomat-0, Jack-o-T-0, Liaison-0, Persuade-0, Science (metalurgy)-0 (Honary Knight, not born part of Nobility)

AsenRG December 6th, 2017 05:43 AM

"Now, Miss Marci, please run, jump, squat or...whatever. Just buy me time during which you're not freezing, OK? Shelters don't build themselves. You could help by gathering some piles of vegetation, too. Grass, ferns, moss, pine needles, brushes, pine boughs...anything. We'll use them to keep us warm".
Tihomir himself was going to work, so he wasn't worried about getting cold. Instead, he first found, and cut* off a young tree, just some 3 meters long, which he broke off*, with some help from the knife's serrated blade, and bashing with the unknown metal, near the base. Then he propped the pole up in the fork of another tree, so that the high end was near the fire.
Then he covered the sides of the pole with tree branches to act as a kind of ribs - on an angle along both sides of the ridge pole, taking care to place them close together so that the covering wouldn't fall through.
Next step was heaping vegetation over the framework - anything that traps air. Grass, ferns, moss, pine needles, brush and pine boughs were all good! And of course, 60-70 centimeters of vegetation were layered on both sides of the shelter.
"That should be enough to keep us dry and warm inside. Especially with the flames near the exit", he observed. Of course, he had already checked the direction of the wind. Not that anyone could miss it.
Finally, he filled the inside of the hut with a thick pile of vegetation for bedding, and for insulation from the ground.
"Welcome to your new home, Miss Marci!", he added, crawling himself inside and turning his body sideways towards the wall. "I'm going to go out later, after the clothes dry up, and bring water for boiling. But freezing kills faster than dehydration, so that would have to wait".

Spoiler:

If there's a convenient young tree, he'd instead bend it at the base, and prop it under a branch in a heavier tree. That would make it easier to hide the traces the next day.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/sites/ou...?itok=B7DMDQPn
That's what it looks like. With the added fire in front of it - though a weaker one, so they'd have oxygen - it should solve the first issue.

atpollard December 7th, 2017 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsenRG (Post 578164)
"Welcome to your new home, Miss Marci!", he added, crawling himself inside and turning his body sideways towards the wall. "I'm going to go out later, after the clothes dry up, and bring water for boiling. But freezing kills faster than dehydration, so that would have to wait".

Marci pitched in and helped with the shelter. Although she knew almost nothing about wilderness survival, she was clearly no 'damsel in distress' at heart. To your surprise, Marci had powerful biceps and could lift and break branches as well as any man. She also seemed to pick up simple tasks quickly when shown, like tying the branches together. What also became obvious was that she had no stamina for the outdoors and the cold seemed to be draining her strength much more quickly than it drained yours. Crawling into the shelter, Marci was violently shivering and too pale. As you placed your body near her to provide some warmth, she snuggled into you, drew your arm around her and smiled faintly. It seemed Marci placed a much higher value on practicality than modesty.

When the shivering subsided, she whispered "Thank you." and made no effort to remove your arm. The fire warmed the shelter, the two of you and slowly dried your clothes.

[Tihomir] - [Biter 1416.57.0530 IST (5:30AM local)] near dirt road in unknown Forest
It had been a long, hard day and you both slept well once you had dry clothes on. About 0530, the first lightening of the sky was detectable and Tihomir made his run for drinking water. The dew on the leaves had started to freeze, marking a temperature of 0C and indicating that the temperature was still slowly falling. Overcast skies blocked all view of stars. While the rain had hidden your trail, if it snowed today, that would make your trail easier to find and track.

As the sky slowly grew lighter, the wind grew stronger. At first, you noticed all the small trees bending, and as gusts picked up, the wind began to whistle through the branches.

AsenRG December 8th, 2017 11:25 AM

"You're welcome, Miss Marci", Tihomir whispered back. He must have been getting a cold, because his voice came a bit rash, as he offered her the canteen. "Drink. Dehydration is a danger you can't afford to underestimate even in cold weather like this."
All that time, he was desperately hoping that his body wouldn't do anything indecent by itself. But at the end, he lightly shrugged, and let the events follow their own course.

In the morning, Tihomir first looked at the weird metal, trying to understand what those people have been smuggling. Then he set about to boil water in the canteen.
It was going to cool down, and become harmless. And dehydration was, as he'd said, a very real issue - especially since they couldn't just buy bottles.
At least cooling the canteen was fast. He just had to put cold leaves all over it, the frost was going to take it to acceptable ranges.
Which, to Tihomir, started at 60C at least.

WIP.

atpollard December 11th, 2017 12:39 PM

[Tihomir] - [Biter 1416.57.0550 IST (5:50AM local)] near dirt road in unknown Forest
Quote:

Originally Posted by AsenRG (Post 578341)
In the morning, Tihomir first looked at the weird metal, trying to understand what those people have been smuggling. Then he set about to boil water in the canteen.

Tihomir examined the metal ingot. It had been crudely cast and was silvery white. It seemed about the right weight for silver. It was certainly lighter than lead or gold would have been. However the metal seemed a bit greyer than the bright polish of silver, yet without any trace of the blackening tarnish sometimes found on old silver.

"I told you. It's tin." Marci took a sip of water. "It should be easy enough to test. Hold it near the fire. A campfire should be close to hot enough to melt tin, but nowhere near hot enough to melt silver."

Holding the ingot near the fire, some of the thin flashings from the mold started to melt.

"I use tin when I mix my own pewter alloys for sculptures." said Marci. "From the patina, that bar has been sitting in that crate in that barn for years. It takes time to get a patina like that."

Spoiler:

Marci identify metal = roll (9)
  • Tihomir "Silent world" Danailov [M] (age 22 - born 1393.77) - [697AA8] - (Coaster Syndicate: Unlimited Manpower):
  • (Lady) Marci Monroe [F] (age 24) - [993A7B] (Commercial Artist):

atpollard December 11th, 2017 12:40 PM

[Tihomir] - [Biter 1416.57.0600 IST (6AM local)] near dirt road in unknown Forest
By 0600 it was barely light enough to travel without the flashlights and the sound of voices nearby brought Tihomir and Marci to cautious alert, ready to hide or move as required. The fire was quickly extinguished and the voices seemed to continue to come closer. Supplies were gathered and camp was temporarily abandoned for movement and concealment.

Since the voices were on the north side of the road, you quickly crossed over to the south side of the road and doubled back to avoid whoever was near the camp. Unfortunately, the two of you made contact with a group of those Local hunter/smugglers. Only faster reflexes and a large tree stopped the bullet that likely would have stopped you, and allowed the two of you to flee into the woods. The shot would certainly bring more Locals to the area, so it was imperative that you place some distance between you and these pursuers.

Desperate, you decided to abandon following the road west, back towards home, and attempted to flee east towards the Core. The path was blocked by a wide, deep icy cold river of fast moving water. You had no choice but to follow the shore until you came to the smuggler's road and a large wooden bridge over the river. There was no option but a sprint across the bridge.

atpollard December 11th, 2017 12:40 PM

[Tihomir] - [Biter 1416.57.0640 IST (6:40AM local)] Sunrise on a Wooden Bridge
Tihomir and Marci sprinted across the bridge ahead of the sounds of the hunters following you. The sun was clearing the horizon and the bright rays bathed everything on a red light that reflected off the bottom of the clouds. Tihomir stood halfway across the bridge as the APC of your kidnappers appeared at one end of the bridge and about 20 Locals appeared at the other end of the bridge. Another group of Locals appeared in the woods near the bridge on the opposite side of the road from the Local Smugglers. From the reaction, there seems to be some tension between the two groups. A teenage girl wearing a combat uniform and holding a Lacar appears to be leading the second group.

"Looks like things are going to get interesting." whispers Marci. Tihomir glanced over the bridge at the water 6 meters below. It looked deep enough, but fast moving and cold.

Spoiler:

Firster Search = roll (6)
Local Search = roll (6)
Soldier Search = roll (6)
Evade = roll (7)
  • Tihomir "Silent world" Danailov [M] (age 22 - born 1393.77) - [697AA8] - (Coaster Syndicate: Unlimited Manpower):

AsenRG December 12th, 2017 02:03 PM

[Biter 1416.57.0550 IST (5:50AM local)] near dirt road in unknown Forest
"Interesting",
Tihomir mused. "Why would anyone stockpile tin? I mean, I doubt there's so many artists around here to drive such demand. What else is it used for to make smuggling it profitable?"
He was thinking fast, but apart for combining it for bronze, was able to come up with nothing. And who needs bronze, apart from sculptors?

Tihomir looked at Marci. She looked nice in the morning light...
But he was assessing her in a different way now.
"Can you swim, Lady?", he whispered, while raising his hands to show surrender. "Though I'd rather avoid soaking in this. Either way, lay down, in case anyone shoots, and crawl towards the locals...we can buy them off."
He himself adopted a lower profile, but made sure they were still able to see his hands.
"Hey, you! Don't shoot, we surrender! And we're more than ready to pay to be brought back!"
But he didn't specify to whom. It was up to them to surrender, the three groups had to decide the rest for themselves.
Did the uniform tell him anything?

Spoiler:

Attempting to recognize the uniform. Does any of his skills apply, or does he get a bonus from attributes? As always in CT, I don't know, so I'll let you roll and just tell me the results.

atpollard December 13th, 2017 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsenRG (Post 578569)
"Why would anyone stockpile tin?"

Tihomir remembered that the mountains east of Oregrund were a minor producer of government copper (and a major source of black market metals). He recalled an obscure reference to tin ores frequently being located near deposits of more common ores, like copper. With the Government's recent policy of setting market prices artificially low to starve the Mountain Men, Tihomir had heard rumors that the Mountain Men had either stopped producing raw materials (since Government prices were set below cost) or had shifted to black market industries. From the age of the ingots and the boxes they were crated in, Tihomir speculated that these locals may have simply chosen to ship the cheaper copper that the Government demanded and stockpiled the more valuable Tin to sell on the black market or when prices rose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsenRG (Post 578569)
Did the uniform tell him anything?

At first glance, it appeared a typical Coaster Army uniform. As you studied it, some strange differences were quickly identified. The cut and material were off-world manufacture and the pattern did not match the standard Army pattern. The name on the chest read "DOMICI" and barely visible at the cuff was skin tight ballistic cloth armor under the uniform. The Lacar was definitely Government Issue, Tihomir had seen enough in the hands of Greycoats and Coaster Army Soldiers at checkpoints to recognize a standard issue weapon.

Among the Local Strangers, an animated argument broke out between a hyperactive 16 year old girl and a 16 year old boy. One of the strangers gestured silently as a smoking hot twenty-something talked with the 17 year old girl in off-world military uniform. The girl in the uniform said something and the hyperactive teen crossed her arms and pouted. Then a 12 year old boy, followed by a 16 year old boy started walking towards you. Several older men had large-bore weapons pointed at the Local Smugglers and the Soldiers.

The Local Smugglers seemed unsure how to respond, until a commotion from the rear led to a parting of the line and an old man with a young woman on each arm stepped forward with four armed bodyguards to approach Tihomir and Marci on the bridge. The boys remained on the north side of the bridge and the old man on the south side as they both approached from the west.

On the east side of the bridge, the RPG Auto-launcher mounted atop the APC tracked their movement. The LT, bandaged, approached with a Lacar armed soldier as two others took positions at the APC.

"The Syndicate wants these two alive. That is the only reason that all of you are not already dead. This is not open for negotiation." the LT spoke first. Tihomir found himself standing on the bridge, shielding Marci, and surrounded by this strange collection of negotiators in a 3 meter diameter circle around you. "The only question is do you really want a war with The Syndicate?" the LT said to the others.

Before Tihomir could speak, the old man responded "There is always room for negotiation." He smiled "You have come to my home and brought violence to my family. I may not be able to take them from you, but I can kill you and them on this bridge." Holding up his hands in a friendly gesture "What are YOUR lives and THEIR lives worth? Nothing? Something?"

"Excuse me, ma'am." said the 12 year old boy to Marci, ignoring the soldiers and the old man. "Are you Marci?"

Marci nodded silently.

"And is this fella with you?" the boy pointed a thumb at Tihomir.

Marci smiled a little "Yes, he is."

Turning to Tihomir "So, you want out of here or not?"

The old man scowled at the boy and glanced back at the other Local Strangers, especially the ones pointing rifles at them. The LT was just amused and chuckled softly, waiting and watching.

Spoiler:

Tihomir Edu [10] check (Tin) = roll (8) = success
Tihomir Edu [10] check (Uniform) = roll (4) = success
(A) Firster reaction = roll (11)
(B) Local reaction = roll (9)
(C) Soldier reaction = roll (8)

AsenRG December 14th, 2017 09:02 AM

"Ah well", he concluded. "I can't blame them for waiting for a better market...we could even help them with this for a not-so-big-share, if they'd agree to lead us home."

[Biter 1416.57.0626 IST (5:50AM local)] near dirt road in unknown Forest
"Ok, now I can blame them for anything on the planet...", Tihomir mutters under his breath, which is getting heavier, as they're evading the locals. "But it's still something to offer them".
With this in mind, he keeps running, and trying to help Marci.

As soon as the LT started approaching, Tihomir tapped Marci on the shoulder.
"Get up, Marci, hands up in the air, and let's close with the locals. Either are a better option, let's give them superior firepower."

Quote:

Before Tihomir could speak, the old man responded "There is always room for negotiation." He smiled "You have come to my home and brought violence to my family. I may not be able to take them from you, but I can kill you and them on this bridge." Holding up his hands in a friendly gesture "What are YOUR lives and THEIR lives worth? Nothing? Something?"
"I apologize for any losses, and grieve for them", Tihomir said. "But you'll note that we weren't here by our own volition. Surely it would be better to cut a deal - which I tried to offer him, too. Military honour", he nodded at the LT. "But I'm pretty sure I have what to offer to you..."

Quote:

Turning to Tihomir "So, you want out of here or not?"
"If that's an offer: you bet!", Tihomir said, grinning in turn. "And I'm not against offering a deal to everyone...that would take it", he added, looking at the old man and the LT. His grin lingered at the latter.
"So, LT, ain't you sorry for not taking my offer earlier? And please note: I said I'm not going to go after you once we're released. In my mind, it has happened, with or without you. Trying to capture us again would be something you'd do at your own peril. Your people can't shoot that RPG without killing you, too."

Spoiler:

If the Strangers are planning for us to jump over the bridge, Tihomir would push Marci with his left, and cut off the inner side of the LT's thigh, before jumping. I want him in place, as an obstacle to the shooting, but not dead.

If they have other plans, he's going to assist them as best he could.
-The old man might be offered a deal to help them smuggling their ore to the black market, around the gouvernment's blockade... Tihomir has dealt with smugglers already, and they have a network of officials who can be bribed!
However, Tihomir isn't going to offer this in front of the LT!!! Maybe hint at "cooperation".
Nothing that threatens their bases, sources, or stored valuables!
-If anything else, acting according to the situation.