Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Imperial Research Station (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Family grav car spec (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=24373)

Andrew Boulton April 10th, 2011 10:22 AM

Family grav car spec

How's this?

Driver + 3 passengers, 100km/h, 24hr duration. 50km range radio.

aramis April 10th, 2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Boulton (Post 371645)
How's this?

Driver + 3 passengers, 100km/h, 24hr duration. 50km range radio.

Probably too long a duration. A typical car now has under 8 hours. most have 200-400mi of total range at cruise; given a cruise speed of 65mph, that's 3-6 hours duration.

Also, most have only receivers, not transceivers.

Dragoner April 10th, 2011 11:56 AM

I'd give it:

Driver + 3 passengers, 200kph top speed, 12 hr duration and no radio. Plus I'd say cargo is limited to 250kg and it can't reach orbit: not pressurized and grav module is isn't powerful enough to overcome wind buffeting on worlds with an atmosphere.

median price cr 30,000

Andrew Boulton April 10th, 2011 12:50 PM

As an aircraft, I'd say a radio is needed.

You'll never get the price down to Cr30k. I've managed ~Cr150k.

Revised minimum spec:

Driver + 3 passengers, 100km/h, 12hr duration. 50km range radio.

Dragoner April 10th, 2011 02:31 PM

100kph is really slow. Price I figure 1/4 as expensive as air/raft: cr 150,000 at TL8, cr 30,000 or so at TL15 depending on how deep of a discount there would be for economies of scale. Maybe it would have a cell comm system.

Rigel Stardin April 10th, 2011 02:53 PM

Look at modern technology and see were it might go in the future.

The grav car would be linked to the planetary information system provided the owner with music, entertainment, information and communication from all over the globe. It would be a standard feature on the vehicles.

samuelvss April 10th, 2011 03:03 PM

I'm with Andrew, except for 12 hours at 200 kph. Covered, but not air-tight. Think a Hyundai Accent w/o wheels. Each passenger or 250 kg not carried increases max speed by 10%.

I agree with both Andrew and Rigel on the radio(s). An independant transciever is a given if it is to be a independant vehicle. In high LL/High Tech worlds, this might be illegal, though, and all driving might be automated.

Rigel Stardin April 10th, 2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuelvss (Post 371669)
I agree with both Andrew and Rigel on the radio(s). An independant transciever is a given if it is to be a independant vehicle. In high LL/High Tech worlds, this might be illegal, though, and all driving might be automated.

Unless there is a function on the grav car where you can access the planet's automated driving system and the car automatically accepts the government's protocols... thus making you legal...

Dragoner April 10th, 2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuelvss (Post 371669)
I'm with Andrew, except for 12 hours at 200 kph. Covered, but not air-tight. Think a Hyundai Accent w/o wheels. Each passenger or 250 kg not carried increases max speed by 10%.

The 250kg cargo might be too much, maybe just 4 passengers + 100kg cargo/luggage.

The cell comm system would most likely be there as a redundancy, because the regular citizen of this time would probably have a comm/pc, for phone entertainment; so I agree there would be some sort of communications.

aramis April 10th, 2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Boulton (Post 371656)
As an aircraft, I'd say a radio is needed.

You'll never get the price down to Cr30k. I've managed ~Cr150k.

Revised minimum spec:

Driver + 3 passengers, 100km/h, 12hr duration. 50km range radio.

I've done 10hr duration under MT (including errata) for KCr7.5... the radio adds 250 credits and takes under a liter... and adding another couple liters of fuel is no big deal. And no extra cost.

But even now, there isn't actually a requirement for an aircraft to mount a radio transceiver. (There is to fly in various restricted airspace, but it's entirely possible to fly around Alaska and never need a radio... unless landing in Anchorage, Fairbanks, or Juneau.)
And 12 hours duration is RIDICULOUSLY long for a family vehicle. most can't make 8. Many can't make 4 hours at cruise.