Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Random Static (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Hate or love Windows 7 ? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=21809)

JAFARR March 1st, 2010 10:26 PM

Hate or love Windows 7 ?

We just bought a new Windows & computer. Ii has this "wonderful" program called "Windows Easy Transfer" to transfer everything from your old computer. I got it setup and turned it on for the first time and first thing out of the box it offeres to run this program and transfer everything from my old computer. After I get both computers set up the program starts and reports that there 26 Gigs to be transfered takinf 17+ hours. I can wait that long, after all I have been waiting for 2 years to buy a computer (the first totally new conputer I have bought in over 10 years). First time I check back, it's saying 9+ DAYS, then 16 days, then 3 days, etc. I went to bed. This morning it's reporting 25 days. Go to work. Get home and it's got indicator bars sowinh between 1/3 to 1/2 transfered and I think 19 days left. Kill the program. A lot of stuff transfered including my saved e-mail files. But I can't find Outlook Express to get new e-mail. Go to the old computer and get my mail. Go to microslop's site and find out it isn't included in W7 - have to use Windows Live. Try that. Error message - Cookies are blocked. 1 hour + ( and 3 lost connections) on phone with tech support. I gave up for the night.

I do love the new 22" flat screen and I can still surf the web and use the old machine for e-mail until I get it sorted out.

Oh yes, the new toy is a Dell Inspiron 545 with a dual core @2.7mhz with 6gig ram & 640 gig hard drive.

Maybe I can play Fallout 3 now

far-trader March 1st, 2010 11:24 PM

Ah the joys of new computer ownership :smirk:

"Hate or Love Windows 7?"

Hard question, still haven't pulled the trigger on it. Heck I'm still running XP through the whole Vista affair. I do think the ads are stupid. You know the ones "I'm (fill in name) and Windows 7 was MY IDEA!"

Right. More like... "I'm a Mac user and Windows 7 was Apple's idea, 7 years ago. Where have you been?"

Maybe that's where they got the name? ;)

No seriously, everything I see in the commercials strikes me as "Been there, done that, on a Mac." and "Deja Vu Macintosh!" Even the Windows Easy Transfer.

I was intrigued by the Windows Easy Transfer when I heard about it. I thought "Hey, maybe it won't be so hard to upgrade to Win7 after all." Guess maybe it's not quite what I'd hoped for after all. I'm reminded by your story of a cartoon from a couple years back, with a computer running an upgrade and the user remarking on why the progress bar is going backwards. The lippy computer retorts with some thinly veiled threat that it could be worse.

So I'll stubbornly put up with XP (which seemed to be ok until the update it insisted on just after Win 7 was released, coincidence? hah!) while I save my money towards rejoining clan Macintosh.

aramis March 1st, 2010 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by far-trader (Post 344986)
Ah the joys of new computer ownership :smirk:

"Hate or Love Windows 7?"

Hard question, still haven't pulled the trigger on it. Heck I'm still running XP through the whole Vista affair. I do think the ads are stupid. You know the ones "I'm (fill in name) and Windows 7 was MY IDEA!"

Right. More like... "I'm a Mac user and Windows 7 was Apple's idea, 7 years ago. Where have you been?"

Maybe that's where they got the name? ;)

No seriously, everything I see in the commercials strikes me as "Been there, done that, on a Mac." and "Deja Vu Macintosh!" Even the Windows Easy Transfer.

I was intrigued by the Windows Easy Transfer when I heard about it. I thought "Hey, maybe it won't be so hard to upgrade to Win7 after all." Guess maybe it's not quite what I'd hoped for after all. I'm reminded by your story of a cartoon from a couple years back, with a computer running an upgrade and the user remarking on why the progress bar is going backwards. The lippy computer retorts with some thinly veiled threat that it could be worse.

So I'll stubbornly put up with XP (which seemed to be ok until the update it insisted on just after Win 7 was released, coincidence? hah!) while I save my money towards rejoining clan Macintosh.

And, like a poor marksman, try as they might to hit apple's mark, they keep missing, it seems.

Mac Transfer is at least 15 years old. I transferred a desktop mac's software to a laptop in about 1996. Fast and easy, even then.

Sounds like MS still hasn't figured out how to actually do it right.

JAFARR March 2nd, 2010 10:38 PM

I used to be a Mac user too. (System 7 type) I switched because of the price. Now I have too much invested in software that will run on Windoze 7 to replace it and the computer. Besides which I love to play around with the older systems and try to make them hum again. Seems that a lot of the software I want to use gamewise is not being developed anymore so I need to keep an older computer around anyway. I like turn based vs RTS games as I can stop and do something else without the computer ruining my game while I am distracted.

PS. I was able to get e-mail working this AM -WITHOUT tech support's help

aramis March 3rd, 2010 04:38 AM

If it's anything like Vista, a lot of older software will not, in fact, make the leap. I've had fewer compatibility issues with Mac OS X upgrades than my windows buddies have with Windows version changes.

Mind you, not "none"... but generally, the hardware drivers continued working...

And, Andy, you might be able to get OSX running on your 'doz box...

JAFARR March 7th, 2010 05:24 PM

Well it fixed itself somehow. I knew what the problem was from the error report, but did not know how to get to the configuration screen for email. My ISP does not support Windows 7 yet and did not know how to get there either. I went to a bridge tournament Fri & Sat. Sat nite it was both recieving and sending email. As long as it keeps working I'm happy with that part. However, Civ II doesn't want to work. I don't like III and really don't like IV. Guess I will be keeping the XP box running. Still have to add a video card to get Fallout 3 working - intergrated card doesn't meet the requirements.