Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   In My Traveller Universe (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Hard Space Redux (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=39331)

Ulsyus August 19th, 2018 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golan2072 (Post 591254)
5. As I noted before, no grav vehicles and probably no fusion. Even if I'll end up using fusion, it will require bulky reactors (such as ship P-Plants), so no fusion-powered air-rafts zooming around.

So there's no cold fusion or similarly dense power source that exists for smaller (vehicular) scale vessels of any sort?

kilemall August 19th, 2018 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulsyus (Post 591305)
So there's no cold fusion or similarly dense power source that exists for smaller (vehicular) scale vessels of any sort?

For simplicity's sake, I'd say give them advanced batteries for civilians, possibly solar charge backup, and radiothermal generators for microfission for military craft.

Golan2072 August 19th, 2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellis (Post 591303)
In addition, since this Traveller may not have artificial gravity, might that mean many passengers and spacers either use drugs or gene-engineering to help protect themselves against damage from micro/zero-gravity?

Most passengers travel for relatively short times from world to world or station to station. Dedicated spacers will probably undergo cybernetic/biotech modification to preserve bone density and other functions affected by zero-G.

Golan2072 August 19th, 2018 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulsyus (Post 591305)

Even if I'll use fusion, then not at the small vehicular level. Vehicles use hydrogen fuel cells or advanced batteries for the most part. Large vehicles (such as larger watercraft or even large aircraft) can use fission reactors, as they do in real life. If I'll use fusion, the smallest fusion plant is 1 dton in size, thus possible for very large vehicles.

wellis August 19th, 2018 03:02 PM

What are smallcract like fighters or ship boats or spaceplanes like in this reboot?

Golan2072 August 19th, 2018 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellis (Post 591315)
What are smallcract like fighters or ship boats or spaceplanes like in this reboot?

As starships are less likely to be streamlined, most will carry streamlined intermediate-range small craft, such as ship's boats or shuttles. I'm not sure, however, how well space fighters work in this milieu.

Diveguy August 19th, 2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golan2072 (Post 591293)
Thanks!

You mean Outer Veil, These Stars Are Ours!, and Hard Space?

That, and my "Fringe" writeup I did using your Near Space map. You're definitely going a harder science route than mine. I also like what you're doing with the polities in question.

Golan2072 August 19th, 2018 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diveguy (Post 591319)
That, and my "Fringe" writeup I did using your Near Space map. You're definitely going a harder science route than mine. I also like what you're doing with the polities in question.

Thanks!

The harder science essentially wrote itself; I started closer to Traveller tech (where Outer Veil was) and found myself sliding towards hard science as the narrative seems to require this.

I like your Fringe setting as well! Great use of my map.

Golan2072 August 19th, 2018 06:00 PM

One thing I am thinking about is setting Hard Space in 2120 rather than 2130. I do like the "(exactly) one century into the future"* vibe of 2120, thoughit requires significant developments (J-Drive and potentially fusion) in the 2050's. Even then, this means that all colonies are young - 1st generation colonies are 65 years old, 2nd generation colonies are 41 years old, and the oldest 3rd generation colonies are at most 16 years old. There are people born outside of the Sol system, and people who are the second (and in some cases even the third) generation of extrasolar spacers!

---
* If this develops into something substantiation, 2020 seems like a reasonable deadline for publication :-)

Diveguy August 19th, 2018 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golan2072 (Post 591323)
One thing I am thinking about is setting Hard Space in 2120 rather than 2130. I do like the "(exactly) one century into the future"* vibe of 2120, thoughit requires significant developments (J-Drive and potentially fusion) in the 2050's. Even then, this means that all colonies are young - 1st generation colonies are 65 years old, 2nd generation colonies are 41 years old, and the oldest 3rd generation colonies are at most 16 years old. There are people born outside of the Sol system, and people who are the second (and in some cases even the third) generation of extrasolar spacers!

---
* If this develops into something substantiation, 2020 seems like a reasonable deadline for publication :-)

This also gives you some help culturally - 3 generations is enough that the oldest colonies will have just started to really digress from their root influences, but not so much that things would be unrecognizable from the "modern" world.

In terms of the tech advances. Consider the fact that humanity went from the Wright brothers and first heavier-than-air powered flight in 1903, to humans on the moon 66 years later. Look at the advances in computing just in the past 30 years. Yes, jump tech etc. are a leap right now, but with the right postulates who knows.